Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Lil help with Future Plans... honeypot

Author Topic: Lil help with Future Plans...  (Read 5823 times)

Jasper

Lil help with Future Plans...
« on: Sep 09, 2005, 06:16 »
Ok... I am up for the ROTC scholarship.
I plan on being a nuke since I have the rating.

After college, I want to work on Subs for 'bout 4 years and then switch off to SWO for 5-10 years or enough to make a career.

After I retire from Navy (Staying in for just 6 years is an option), I plan on being a Nuke as a Civilian 'casue it's some freakin nice pay.

Does anyone see a problem or flaw with this idea or any way to improve it?

JsonD13

Re: Lil help with Future Plans...
« Reply #1 on: Sep 09, 2005, 06:22 »
im not sure how they do it for officers, but for enlisted its mighty hard to switch from subs to surface since you volunteer for subs

Rene C. Taylor

« Reply #2 on: Sep 09, 2005, 08:57 »
Stick with it and don't deviate. You are on the right track. It doesn't make a difference if it's subs or surface, get the Navy Nuc training and experience and you will have a fantastic future in commercial or military nuclear power. A career in energy is wide open for wealth and happiness. And the most power is in nuclear. Tailhook

Jasper

« Reply #3 on: Sep 12, 2005, 08:27 »
All this considered, I was looking for work on the SSBN's but those suckers stay on bottom for 2 months at a time plus a month of travel and I don't know about you but I'd think I'd like more of a personal life so I was looking into switching to the carriers after I serve the 4 yrs on the sub.

Fermi2

« Reply #4 on: Sep 12, 2005, 09:09 »
All this considered, I was looking for work on the SSBN's but those suckers stay on bottom for 2 months at a time plus a month of travel and I don't know about you but I'd think I'd like more of a personal life so I was looking into switching to the carriers after I serve the 4 yrs on the sub.

Yeah that way you can spend 9 months at sea, 5 of them sailing circles around Diego Garcia.

Mike

bmr176

« Reply #5 on: Sep 13, 2005, 03:34 »
If you are going into the Navy Do Not try to find some scam to get out of going to sea.  It's going to happen.  Thats what the navy does.  I have heard like one or two stories about guys who get a gig like a tender, but even they go to sea sometimes.  All you really get to decide is how to divvy up your sea time.  You can take it all at once on a boomer, or you can spread it out all over the place on a carrier or fast attack.

BuddyThePug

« Reply #6 on: Sep 14, 2005, 11:25 »
Why do you plan to be an officer,why do you feel you should be in command of others? This would also be a good thing to know before you proceed...

ageoldtech

« Reply #7 on: Sep 14, 2005, 02:18 »
Sub riders are a special breed, why would anyone in there right mind want to be in a metal tube 600 + feet under, carrying  many nuclear weapons and a operating reactor? Sounds like fun!

jasonmsmith

« Reply #8 on: Sep 16, 2005, 06:14 »
Why in hell would you want to switch from a "Hunter" to a "target"  :).  I am a Submarine Officer, and as far as I know, they will not let you switch from Subs to the Surface Fleet.  If for whaterver reason you are medically disqualified from Subs, then you may be able to switch to the Surface Side, but why would you want to.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?