Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Word To The Wise!!

Author Topic: Word To The Wise!!  (Read 6330 times)

Fermi2

Word To The Wise!!
« on: Sep 12, 2005, 07:10 »
There's a DARN good reason why getting an SRO License is a game for the young!!

Mike

rlbinc

Re: Word To The Wise!!
« Reply #1 on: Oct 03, 2005, 06:28 »
Oh, it's not THAT bad.

You get the occasional heart attack or anxiety / stress type illness.

But think about it. When the plant is coming down around your ankles (and I've been there more than once), the stress level is definitely up. License Class has to identify that susceptibility, too.

Many times, I have put a simulator into freeze, had red faced, sweating, shaking trainees facing me - and then said,"Aren't you glad this thing has a freeze button? Calm down, breathe, and let's sort this thing out." I spend about a minute summarizing events and priorities while they catch their breath. Teaching them when it's time for a brief.

You're right - some learn to control their pulse, some don't. Some ROs and SROs work better with adrenaline, some do not.

Fermi2

« Reply #2 on: Oct 03, 2005, 07:04 »
LOL You took it wrong. I've had a license for 12 years, 8 of which was as an SRO. I'm a damn good SRO, but going to class at 44 years old isn't what I'd call fun!

Mike

alphadude

« Reply #3 on: Oct 04, 2005, 02:19 »
yep look at the divorce rate in most control rooms. I was offered RO training at the age of 46, I told them they were nuts. Where were ya when I was 30?

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?