Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu HP Career Path/Training/Ed-ju-mication

Author Topic: HP Career Path/Training/Ed-ju-mication  (Read 9860 times)

Rad Sponge

HP Career Path/Training/Ed-ju-mication
« on: Aug 19, 2005, 04:11 »
Ok, now I am on the job as an HP with a degree(not-HP).

My ultimate goals are CHP/PHD in Health Physics but right now young grasshopper needs advice on specific milestones and qualifications so I can make up into the big leagues.

I am sort of planning a flow chart for my education and training.

R/ Sponge

JnyMac

Re: HP Career Path/Training/Ed-ju-mication
« Reply #1 on: Aug 20, 2005, 12:47 »
I believe even with a degree you will still require 5 years of exp. as a Sr. HP and reqiure a CHP to sign off on you before you can take the CHP/ABHP or NRRPT.  Go for the NRRPT first then the CHP.

Offline cincinnatinuke

• Chemistry Technician CCNPP
  • Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #2 on: Aug 20, 2005, 04:17 »
If you want clarity on the requirements for NRRPT and CHP then just simply do a search on the internet  for them.  I believe each has its own website outlining their criteria for acceptance and deadlines for testing too.  I also agree to get the NRRPT cert first, but dont overlook actually heading up programs for safety or auditing, etc so that later on you can point to evidence of your qualifications.  If I am not mistaken for CHP that is the only role they consider, so past ELT exp will not be credited since it is probably considered at the technician level, though if you were a CRA or equivlent then you'lll probably be considered as leading a rad safety program.......Seems odd though my CRA's were typically told where and what to sign and they rarely involved themselves too much with the Div.   Sorry, off subject...consider a Masters in health or medical physics since addtl education can be credited for experience though there is a cap on that.  I am sure in no time that time window will approach and hope you wont be to busy to still pursue your goals.  I feel that way all the time with this stuff....job, kids, ....Always stay focused. 

Offline Old HP

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #3 on: Aug 23, 2005, 10:41 »
It would be hard to recommend the HP route to get experience as most jobs are very short and the pay has been stagnant for a number of years. Even with a degree you would start as a Jr. Tech where the pay is even more insulting than it is for Sr.Techs.
However on the bright side there will be lots of openings in the next ten years as the majority of technicians will be over sixty and retiring (unless they are road techs).
I hope you are successful and that you can find a good job at a good plant.....

Old HP

halflifer

« Reply #4 on: Aug 27, 2005, 08:33 »
there are places where you can find steady employment in the Radiation Safety/ Health Physics field for extended periods with 1 or 2 yrs of experience. A lot of these places will encourage/help/support you in your pursuit of NRRPT.

Rad Sponge

« Reply #5 on: Aug 27, 2005, 09:46 »
Thanks everyone for the responses.

Specifically: What type of oversight and project/process management is the CHP Board looking for in terms of scope and complexity. I am in the nuclear medicine production industry which includes cyclotrons and hotcell work.

I am just getting into the shielding design/placement aspect of the field and also relearning all the tech stuff from the ground up in this new non-navy nuke environment.

R/ Sponge

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?