Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Free Release limits for equipment from Nuclear sites

Author Topic: Free Release limits for equipment from Nuclear sites  (Read 9476 times)

bhatton

I was wondering if anyone knew of any reactor sites with free release limits more resticted than the normal 1000dpm/100cm2 & nd or <100cpm per a probe area for fixed beta gamma. Thanks this would be most helpful to me.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
Re: Free Release limits for equipment from Nuclear sites
« Reply #1 on: Sep 26, 2005, 07:41 »
Many sites now require <MDA smears (counted on a scalar) and 'no detectable' on direct frisks for free releasing tools and equipment. Some require that two independent surveys be done to ensure the limits are met. Here at St. Lucie if an item does not fit in a SAM (Smalll Article Monitor) it normally has to be surveyed by independent technicians and the above limits apply.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #2 on: Sep 26, 2005, 02:01 »
Lots of commercial sites have lower release limits.  Ginna, Nine Mile Point, and Fitzpatrick were 400dpm/100cm2 years ago.  Salem/Hope Creek were No Detectable.  Prairie Island was 100 dpm/100cm2.  Things change over time.  So, I can't say that those places all still have the same limits.  All I can remember is that it was extremely rare to find a plant that would allow release with LSC as high as 1000dpm/100cm2, and any place with a SAM or TCM requires that anything that can fit inside one must be surveyed with one and pass.  That leaves very few objects that actually get hand frisked with a 100ncpm limit.  Even though 100cpm is considered to be the minimum detectable with a pancake probe, some sites expect you to reject any item with any discernible increase in count rate.
The short answer to your question:  Almost ALL of them.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

bhatton

« Reply #3 on: Sep 26, 2005, 06:49 »
I know progress energy , Duke power and TVA all have 1000dpm/100cm2 and anything that can fit in sam must be put in a sam. I am more interested in smearable levels and direct frisk as where I am at right now does not have a sam. Thanks for all the good info. Does anyone know the limit at Limerick??

Offline 870xprs

• Lover, fighter, bull rider, and damn good windmill man
  • Light User
« Reply #4 on: Sep 27, 2005, 05:02 »
To quote the inimitable Mike Shannon, "Not one (radioactive) atom" shall be released.

But then, how could you ever know if you released that one atom, if it decayed days, months or years later?  Kind of a chicken and egg thing.  Instead of pondering the imponderable, we went ahead and installed SAMs to get Mike off our back.

ageoldtech

« Reply #5 on: Sep 27, 2005, 10:29 »
Brian, I'm at Watts Bar right now and standard procedure for release of items that will not fit in the SAM or GTM is Non detectable. This has to do with the new regulations that the NRC is trying to impose. It all stems from the release of bulk material from the Oconee SGR.

atomicarcheologist

« Reply #6 on: Oct 10, 2005, 12:45 »
I was wondering if anyone knew of any reactor sites with free release limits more resticted than the normal 1000dpm/100cm2 & nd or <100cpm per a probe area for fixed beta gamma. Thanks this would be most helpful to me.

It's too bad that you have that phrase, "more restricted" in your query.  I wonder what answers would be applied at the other end of the 1kDPM release spectrum?

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?