Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu SCA Question  

Author Topic: SCA Question  (Read 9163 times)

asher

SCA Question
« on: Oct 11, 2005, 09:07 »
Anyone know why the power plant SCA in California produced unusually large amounts of CO2 emissions in 1997?  ???
« Last Edit: Oct 12, 2005, 10:01 by Rennhack »

BuddyThePug

Answer!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: Oct 11, 2005, 09:23 »
Anyone know why the power plant SCA in California produced unusually large amounts of CO2 emissions in 1997?  ???

Okay, to what power plant are you referring? SCA doesn't ring a bell.  #2, what is your information source for your assertion? And compared to what?

asher

Re: Question!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 12, 2005, 02:47 »
the only information i know is that the plant is called SCA. im doing a school project involving bi variate data and im comparing the plant annual heat input (MMBTU) compared to plant annual CO2 emissions (tonnes)

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 12, 2005, 07:19 »
My guess is that this is not a nuclear plant and you may be looking in the wrong place. Nuclear plants produce no CO2 except as hot air coming from middle and upper management.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #4 on: Oct 12, 2005, 08:52 »
It is not a NUCLEAR power plant, it is a NATURAL GAS power plant, you are on the wrong web site.

SCA = Sacramento Cogeneration Authority

Sacramento SCA Peaker Project
Client: Sacramento Municipal Utility District (SMUD)
Operator: Sacramento Power Authority
Configuration: 127-MW, 2+1 combined-cycle cogen with LM6000 gas turbine
Operation: 1997
Fuel: natural gas
HRSG supplier: Nooter
T/G supplier: GE
EPC: Black & Veatch, Walsh
• Developed, Designed, Procured, and Built in 10 months

For the SCA Peaker Project, IEC served in several capacities throughout all phases of the project, including conceptual engineering, project management, field engineering, start-up and testing. Completed in April 2001, the project included one zero-timed LM6000PC unit with the Mark VI Control System, SCR and CO Catalyst, Aqueous Ammonia System, 2000-Ton Centrifugal Chiller and Deltak Exhaust Duct.

IEC worked very hard to get bid packages on the street to achieve a critical milestone imposed by the California Energy Commission. In addition, IEC proposed ideas for compressing the schedule by paralleling activities to significantly reduce the project duration to ensure the project was operational prior to the summer peak. The company was also responsible for the complete interconnect design with the SMUD switchyard/grid for the new switchyard and power plant.  IEC worked closely with SMUD staff to develop, design, procure and build this project in a period of 10 months. The Project was considered a success among SMUD staff and the Board of Directors.
« Last Edit: Oct 12, 2005, 08:53 by Rennhack »

shayne

Re: SCA Question
« Reply #5 on: Oct 12, 2005, 10:54 »
Anyone know why the power plant SCA in California produced unusually large amounts of CO2 emissions in 1997?

Just a guess, but if the plant was built and went commercial in 1997 and you want to know why the CO2 emissions was high in this year, the startup permit may have allowed more relaxed emission controls.  This allows the Gas Turbine supplier, construction contractor, and the plant owner to test the new turbine, perform tunning, and commission the emission monitoring system (CEMS).  It may also allow the construction company to use gas turbines for steam generation for the steam cleaning (steam blows) on the piping before startup of the steam turbine. 
Many times all the initial gas turbine testing and tuning is done before the NOx and COx catalyst is installed in the HRSG.  After the catalyst is installed, the CEMS equipment and the Ammonia systems are tested and tuned.  However these are usually the last systems to be tested during construction of the plant.  Just prior to performance testing and commercial availablity runs these emission systems are commissioned to be in compliance with the emissions permits.

This is just my assumption.

Sacramento SCA Peaker Project
Client: Sacramento Municipal Utility District (SMUD)
Operator: Sacramento Power Authority
Configuration: 127-MW, 2+1 combined-cycle cogen with LM6000 gas turbine
Operation: 1997
Fuel: natural gas
HRSG supplier: Nooter
T/G supplier: GE
EPC: Black & Veatch, Walsh
• Developed, Designed, Procured, and Built in 10 months

For the SCA Peaker Project, IEC served in several capacities throughout all phases of the project, including conceptual engineering, project management, field engineering, start-up and testing. Completed in April 2001, the project included one zero-timed LM6000PC unit with the Mark VI Control System, SCR and CO Catalyst, Aqueous Ammonia System, 2000-Ton Centrifugal Chiller and Deltak Exhaust Duct.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?