Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Reporting Aboard Ships honeypot

Author Topic: Reporting Aboard Ships  (Read 7070 times)

RMonFoot50

Reporting Aboard Ships
« on: Oct 12, 2005, 03:59 »
I just finished prototype down in South Carolina and I report on October 26 to the USS Ronald Reagan(CVN 76) in San Diego. I was wondering what steps should I take in preparations to going there, I haven't contacted the carrier yet, I don't see a point in that, but if anyone has any suggestions of what I should do in preparation to reporting let me know, also should I wear the dress uniform for what color season it is, or should i wear the blues, I have heard different things on that, also should I bring with me in my seabag when i report, as in civilian clothes, should I bring them. I would appreciate any responses
-EM3 Scotty

shayne

Re: reporting after prototype
« Reply #1 on: Oct 12, 2005, 11:33 »
Usually the ship will send you a welcome aboard package as well as assign you a sponsor.  Usually someone from reactor training division or reactor electrical.  These questions would be good ones to ask your sponsor.

However, blues can be used all year round, but if I could wear the whites I would.  I'm not sure what the white "season" is for the ship in San Diego.  If the ship is going to be inport for a few days or more, just take your seabag and 1 set of civilian clothes to leave in.  You can get more information about the ship and your personal space/storage after you get there and bring on more clothes and such.  If you are leaving for sea for a while with port visits you may want to bring a few more change of civilian clothes.

tinkerlow

Nub mechanic to Ike
« Reply #2 on: Oct 12, 2005, 12:03 »
Just got my orders today. This MM3 will be reporting to the USS Eisenhower no later than 14Dec05. Anyone here on that boat and can give me a few pointers? Maybe tell me what the schedule looks like as far as deployments and such. Thanks a bunch.

MM3 Marlow

shayne

Re: Reporting Aboard Ships
« Reply #3 on: Oct 12, 2005, 12:20 »
Just got my orders today. This MM3 will be reporting to the USS Eisenhower no later than 14Dec05. Anyone here on that boat and can give me a few pointers? Maybe tell me what the schedule looks like as far as deployments and such. Thanks a bunch.

MM3 Marlow

First I would start by contacting your sponsor.  He/She will be able to give you the most up-to-date information.  After you get settled in, spend time in the plant learning the systems from the operators, finish your BNEQ, learn the maintenance and qualify on your watchstations.    Avoid the negitive nukes that will tell you how much it sucks.  Develop your own opinion about it after you finish with qualifications and do some time at sea.  Then decide if you want to do 6 or 20 years.
« Last Edit: Oct 12, 2005, 09:34 by Shayne »

taterhead

« Reply #4 on: Oct 12, 2005, 02:22 »
Well, we have at least one board member here who is on the Reagan...s_phoenix.

I am sure he can help you out with schedule, uniforms, procedures, etc.  In fact, he can likely put you in touch with your future Chief and LPO.

Also, you can reference this site : http://www.reagan.navy.mil/
There is a "Reporting Info" tab on the left.

Send him a PM.  If he doesn't get back with you in a few days, I have some contacts on the Reagan and can help you out.  You *should* have gotten a sponsor letter....

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #5 on: Oct 12, 2005, 04:45 »
Funny thing, checking in on a ship
When I checked onto my sub, an "A" ganger decided to mess with me and gave me a healthy "goose" as I came down the ladder, laden with seabag and orders packet.  :o I dropped everything, jumped into his arms, kissed him on the cheek, and asked if I could be his. :-*
He dropped me on the deck, and I was labeled as "no da** fun" from then on.  ;D
But it's probably different nowadays.... ;)
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
Re: Nub mechanic to Ike
« Reply #6 on: Oct 13, 2005, 12:30 »

MM3 Marlow

Here's a pointer for ya... since you are going to a surface target, don't ever call it a "boat" again unless you want one of those skimmer-type lifers to ream you a new one.
The schedule is a bit dicey.  See if this makes sense to you.  You may or may not be the person you claim to be.  There is NO WAY of verifying your identity over the internet.  So, sending you classified information, such as the deployment schedule of a US Navy Warship, would be an offense against the United States that could land someone in prison.  Welcome to the club.  They'll tell you when the ship is leaving port when you need to know.  If you are lucky, that will be before it actually moves, but it doesn't have to be.  It wouldn't help you to have that info anyway.  By time everyone aboard a ship knows her schedule, it has already changed twice.
That leads us to pointer number two: Always keep your stuff ready to pack if not packed already.  Don't make any plans you can't cancel without notice.
Thank you for your service.  Best of Luck!!
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

taterhead

« Reply #7 on: Oct 13, 2005, 02:42 »
Are you guys (new sailors) aware that all of these aircraft carriers have websites with valuable info?  In this case:  http://www02.clf.navy.mil/eisenhower/

I am pretty sure that you can get in touch with someone aboard ship via that site, likely in your prospective division, who can help you out with these questions.

However, it would not be wise to go posting ship schedules here.  Approximate dates, sure, but if I see exact ship schedules on here, I will likely delete them.  You know, national security and all.

I expect that our young sailors have much to learn about such things.  Better to learn the lesson here than the hard way (on the carpet, in front of the man).

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?