Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu getting back in honeypot

Author Topic: getting back in  (Read 7374 times)

iiiisx3

getting back in
« on: Jun 25, 2005, 06:50 »
i haven't workedin the business for over 10 years.would it be hard getting back in?

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
Re: getting back in
« Reply #1 on: Jun 25, 2005, 09:13 »
Let's play a game.  Email your resume to Bartlett and see how long it takes to get a phone call.  I want to put $20 on 15 minutes or less.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Fermi2

« Reply #2 on: Jun 25, 2005, 09:29 »
When I was at Fermi a buddy of mine, who had been out of the buz since 1988 came to Michigan to work for me. This would have been in late 2003. He said the classwork was harder to concentrate on, and qualifying was easier at 20 years old than at 42, but in the long run he was very glad he did it.

About the classwork thing, I'm 44, I changed utilities early this year and I will say, classroom is for the young. Right now, my SRO Class is stopped until August so we can ensure our training material is ready to go and to tell you the truth it's been a nice break. I've been helping in Self Assessments and the like and I feel less tired than I did a month ago. On the other hand, a month ago I was taking GFE Topics, something I did in 1992, so a lot of it was review, also having had a license befiore I knew GFE training is a basis and not something you use in depth.

When I start learning systems and plant procedures and stuff like that at least the material will be new to me. Still it is a fact it's tougher to concentrate in class when one is older. Luckily I already know what it takes to get a license.

Mike

jewels

« Reply #3 on: Jun 28, 2005, 08:23 »
I emailed Bartlett my resume in late February....nothing yet. Not even the random phone calls I used to get regularly during my 5 year stint as a house tech. Hmm...maybe they aren't hurting as bad as they say. Maybe its just me they don't want. Who knows?

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #4 on: Jun 28, 2005, 08:56 »
Ummm... perhaps its summer and there are no outages going on?
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

jewels

« Reply #5 on: Jun 28, 2005, 09:28 »
No outages in February? I'm pretty sure there were one or two going on.

Rad Sponge

« Reply #6 on: Jun 28, 2005, 11:45 »
I'm no expert, but I bet sending a resume in during February is a little late for a February outage. I would guess that since outages are planned in advance, that contractors would be hiring techs starting months in advance.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #7 on: Jun 28, 2005, 02:57 »
By late February the April outages (usually the last of the outage year) are pretty much staffed. I am sure there are some slots somewhere and a bit of shuffling, but it is often a matter of right-place-at-the-right-time at that time of year. With outages as short as many of them have become, techs have been forced to plan their outages carefully to get enough weeks in and get the plants they want. That should make for a bit less last minute scrambling than we used to see. The work is there, it is just a bit of a different game than it was 5 years ago. Better luck to you in the Fall.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?