Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Fiestaware, mantles, weld rods, . . .  

Author Topic: Fiestaware, mantles, weld rods, . . .  (Read 16223 times)

radwastetrainer

Fiestaware, mantles, weld rods, . . .
« on: Oct 27, 2005, 07:22 »
Does anyone know a supplier for natural sources to use for basic radworker training?

Or, do you have a fiestaware plate, lantern mantle and/or Th-welding rods you would like part with for a good cause?

Thank you for help and time.

Shonkatoys

Re: Fiestaware, mantles, weld rods, . . .
« Reply #1 on: Oct 27, 2005, 08:22 »
Check Ebay for fiesta ware, type in radioactive fiesta ware, I bought a few plates for about 20 dollars a piece, coffee plates are a little cheaper. Make sure you type in radioactive, I bought some orange plates that looked like they were the radioactive plates on Ebay, they were cheaper and of course not radioactive, but they were not advertised as such so it is my loss, At least I can eat off them.  Larry Webb sells Strontium sources that are .1 microcuries (222,000 dpm) that are exempt sources for 45  dollars.  His company is SpecTech 865-483-0473.  Take a Alpha detector to Home Depot to check Granite tile.

Shonkatoys

« Reply #2 on: Oct 27, 2005, 08:43 »
I just typed in radioactive on ebay, Up came 247 items, They have mantles for about 5 bucks, radioactice fiesta plate starting at 99 cents, radioactive marbles,  I have some radioactive marbles but they are only about 50 counts on a GM.  Rocks etc for sell, you should be able to find what you need here.

radwastetrainer

« Reply #3 on: Oct 28, 2005, 08:52 »
Thank you.

I will checkout Ebay tonight.

Question on the Home Depot:
Should I ask the manager for permission to walk around with a GM or just freak out the general public?
(of course I would have audio off, it is just my luck that an anti-nuke or local news reporter would see me and go to town with it)

Shonkatoys

« Reply #4 on: Oct 31, 2005, 12:52 »
I would probably just get items off Ebay and leave Home Depot alone.  But if you must I would tell the manager what you are doing before you go in and assure him you are just looking for naturally occurring radioactive material to use in a class.  Your right Nuke freaks people out, most people do not understand or have preconceived notions that you are not going to change without heavy persuasion.  Word may get out that Home Depot is contaminated and a inspector went in looking for it in Home Depot. Especially if you went to a Home Depot near a plant.

alphadude

« Reply #5 on: Nov 03, 2005, 08:56 »
don't forget those good ole smoke detectors. rad rocks are easy to find. carnotite is rather common (pardon the spelling) and it is rather yellow.... the green vaseline glass is hot too. dont go to home depot.. not a good scene.

radwastetrainer

« Reply #6 on: Nov 03, 2005, 07:32 »
Awesome!

Got a dinner plate, mantle and green marbles all off ebay this week. Very easy.

Only one problem. That ebay is very addictive!!!

Thanks again for the ideas and help.

Now to WallyWorld for the smoke detector. That should do until we have more money to play with.

alphadude

« Reply #7 on: Nov 04, 2005, 09:03 »
i forgot the salt.. the lite salt that is- lots of K40   even thru the container you get some counts

Shonkatoys

« Reply #8 on: Nov 04, 2005, 11:29 »
Yes it is awesome, I did not even know green marbles existed and you can buy them by the thousand.   I used these to spell diffrent words and make designs and rolled over them with the Shonka contamination Monitor, Cool,

Offline stormgoalie

• Former RP Supervisor, now an Engineer......
  • Very Heavy User
  • Go fast or go home!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 04, 2005, 02:18 »
Another good source that I stumbled across at the good ol' Lazy H Ranch, aka Hanford site, while working outside was dry fertilizer.  Apparently during the manufacturing process they concentrate the K-40 to a level that makes it easily detectable (2-5k dpm in a tablespoon size pile).  Thank the maker for contracts that are cheap when it comes to buying ice melt.  Just a thought.  8)

Jim Rodgers
RP Lead Tech.
Ontario Power Generation
WWMF
WARNING: Translation of author's random thoughts may have resulted in the unintended introduction of grammatical errors, typos, technical inaccuracies, lies, propaganda, rhetoric, or blasphemy.

LaFeet

« Reply #10 on: Mar 11, 2006, 10:00 »
Table salt may give off some betas... but salt substitute will really make your meter squelch.   I used Fiestaware,  uranium glass, some old electrical insulators, smoke detector sources, irradiated dimes (from Oak Ridge) and an antique car dashmounted ashtray during my classes. 

The touchie feelie allways manages to get the point across that we are allways surrounded by zoomies 8)

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #11 on: Mar 11, 2006, 10:40 »
'n then there is alwaz the old micro-r meter.  turn it on in the classroom 'n look at 7-18 on the scale, depending on ware yinz are.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Gilgimesh

« Reply #12 on: Jun 20, 2006, 11:42 »
Also look for radium clocks and clock hands and KOH I have some wood ash extract, Potash thats around 2 times background.

It also tested positive for Cs-137 possibly fallout from above ground nuclear testing.

Offline Mike_Koehler

• Heavy User
  • I love nukeworker.com!!!!
« Reply #13 on: Jun 21, 2006, 06:37 »
Foundry Sand and Older Dry chemical fire extinguishers!
"Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented
  immigrant" is like calling a drug
  dealer an "unlicensed Pharmacist."
unknown
"If you seal the borders and you stop giving federal benefits to people who are in the country illegally... many of them will simply go home."
Lou Barletta, Mayor of Hazelton, Pa.

alphadude

« Reply #14 on: Jun 22, 2006, 09:04 »
I've got about 50 pounds of rad minerals if you are interested in any.

Gilgimesh

« Reply #15 on: Jun 23, 2006, 03:07 »
I have a bottle of unmatrixed autunite from Ron at gothotrocks.com its my hottest mineral sample. I can milk it for radon once a week and get a sample for the lucas cell that counts 17,500 pCi/l For a great demo, But the 3.5 day decay time is a little boring.

I am looking for a sample thats rich in thorium to make a thoron cow since thoron has a much shorter halflife than radon 52 seconds it would be easier plot the decay in a short time frame.

LaFeet

« Reply #16 on: Apr 16, 2007, 10:17 »
Too bad... I was at a site where I shipped a vein of thorium sand as waste, could have kept a vial or two for ya

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?