Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu 2 months until out of the Navy...looking for some advice.

Author Topic: 2 months until out of the Navy...looking for some advice.  (Read 6237 times)

Offline brh3434

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
I am fairly sure this is a routine thread.  I am surprised there isn't a template already generated.  Anyhow, I am getting out of the Navy after 13 years of nuclear submarine service.  Sounds like I am crazy for leaving after being in for so long, but I am ready to be a full time father for a change.  I am an E-6, mechanic, qualified EWS/EDPO.  I have heavy backgrounds in QA, planning and training.  I am open to all suggestions and advice.  I realize that it is a very different world within the realm of civilian nuclear power.  I am looking for insight and possible contacts for employment.  I am open to pretty much working anywhere.  I have applied for a few positions at Kewaunee Power Station and Point Beach Nuclear Plant, both of which are in Wisconsin.  My brother actually works at Kewaunee as a trainer, and I have been pumping him pretty hard for some contacts too.  I would really appreciate any assistance in helping me get the ball rolling on my transition.  Thank you for your time.

Offline MLew44

• Light User
Re: 2 months until out of the Navy...looking for some advice.
« Reply #1 on: Nov 03, 2005, 06:13 »
There is a ton of info out there about resumes, job interviews, companies, etc., etc. Here is one small piece of advice... up until the time they offer you the job (this means, during the interview), act like you definitely want the job. If you get to the interview and you already **think** it's not ideal for you, don't let it show. Keep a positive attitude until they call you back. Then make your decision, once the job has definitely been offerred.

I learned this from personal experience.

Offline brh3434

• Very Lite User
« Reply #2 on: Nov 04, 2005, 08:10 »
Thanks for the advice.  I have put together a few resumes and have found many links too.  I have actually applied for a few jobs as well.  No one has called me back yet though.  I have spoken with one of the Exelon recruiters, and he seemed pretty interested.  He is expecting me to get a hold of him when I am closer to my out date.  The clock is ticking and I am ready to punch out.

M1Ark

« Reply #3 on: Nov 05, 2005, 01:02 »
Google Exelon, Entergy and Florida Power and Light.  They are all currently hiring Non-Licensed Operators as well as SRO's.

Non-Licensed Operator = Non Degreed Ex-Navy. ~70-90k/year once qualified

SRO = Degreed Ex-Navy (Officer or Enlisted). ~ 110-130k/year once qualified

visserjr

« Reply #4 on: Nov 05, 2005, 08:11 »
Dominion is also hiring at the Mineral VA plant.

Offline brh3434

• Very Lite User
« Reply #5 on: Nov 06, 2005, 06:48 »
Thanks for all of the support guys.  I will definately check into those possibilities

Offline brh3434

• Very Lite User
« Reply #6 on: Nov 08, 2005, 11:08 »
Thanks for the heads up on the above information.  I have sent my resume to a few of those companies.  I'll keep you posted on the outcome.

Hoppie

« Reply #7 on: Dec 19, 2005, 04:16 »
Good Luck on your search and transition out of the Navy.  You will find out that its not that scary out here and you will be well recieved no matter where you go.  I personally transitioned between a few good jobs after I left the navy (10 Yrs) trying to decide where I felt in place.  And believe or not I'm right back in Nuclear Power after even having a cushion job at a brand new Combine Cycle Plant.  I could ramble on, but what I wanted to put out there for yourself and everyone else, is that SCE&G plans to hire a new onset of Operators starting Jan 2006 for VC Summer.  Great Company, Great Plant, Great People. I have found no better place to call home.

Dave Burton

« Reply #8 on: Dec 23, 2005, 03:12 »
If you'd be interested in something other than nuke work, check out Commissioning Agents.  We're about 70% ex-nuke.  We perform commissioning, qualification, start-up, and engineering services for primarily pharmaceutical companies.  The pay is good and the benefits are outstanding.  Big plus, no shift work.  Depending on where you want to live, some travel.

There's alot out there.  I was an ELT/EWS for 12 yrs before getting medically discharged.  Keep your hopes up there's alot of opportunities and the nuke world is a really small one.

radtiger

« Reply #9 on: Dec 25, 2005, 04:12 »
Dave, can you give some more details about where to look for Commissioning agents, other than Googling it? I for one am ready for a change of venue out of nuclear power or maybe just Entergy.. :)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?