Career Path > Nuclear Operator

Instant SRO Questions

<< < (2/9) > >>

Fermi2:
http://www.nrc.gov/reactors/operator-licensing/generic-fundamentals-examinations/pwr.html

As accurate as you'll ever get.

Mike

M1Ark:

--- Quote from: scrub on Nov 08, 2005, 08:31 ---Have the tests and answers found on the web link above been validated as accurate?

--- End quote ---

Accurate enough to pass an official NRC GFE exam with a 99%.
http://www.quantumhyperspace.com/gfes/index.jsp

Fermi2:
Or in todays day an age a 98%, 99% is no longer possible :)

Mike

maxxchia:
"Tracer" Mike, 

Awesome post.   I have a question for you since you have a SRO license.  I am a nuke ET chief (RCLCPO on a fast attack)with 10 years in, qualified Engineering Officer of the Watch (prototype), Engineering Watch Supervisor and Reactor Operator and am about to get out next year.  I have heard rumors that there are plants out there that are hiring folks like me directly into their Senior Reactor Operator program.  Is this true?  Looking for that big pay check.

MLew44:

--- Quote from: maxxchia on Nov 19, 2005, 12:15 ---"Tracer" Mike, 

Awesome post.   I have a question for you since you have a SRO license.  I am a nuke ET chief (RCLCPO on a fast attack)with 10 years in, qualified Engineering Officer of the Watch (prototype), Engineering Watch Supervisor and Reactor Operator and am about to get out next year.  I have heard rumors that there are plants out there that are hiring folks like me directly into their Senior Reactor Operator program.  Is this true?  Looking for that big pay check.

--- End quote ---

Apologies for butting in...

Maxxchia:  Odds are against you about 99 to 1 that you will be able to get out, get a job at a utility, land a slot directly into license class, AND actually come away with your SRO license. There are lots of roads to getting the license, but very few that short.

My background similar to yours, except I wasn't a chief. ET; Prototype qualified as EOOW, etc., etc. I had the same mind-set getting out too; thought I could do anything I put my mind to. Actually, though, getting my SRO license was far more difficult than anything I had done in the NAV, and I had several years experience as a non-licensed operator before license class. I doubt I would've made it had I tried to 'instant' right away. You like operations? My advice; get some plant time as an NLO first (by the way, the cash is almost as good depending on your overtime hours). 

The other part of this is that utilities only man up a class every so often; usually > 1 year between them. First slots for SROs usually go to exsisting RO licenses, then NLOs. Then others that meet the qualifications within the company (engineers, for example). VERY unusual to have ANY license candidates hired directly from the outside. There are too few slots for those applying within the company. Also, you need some in-plant time before the you'll meet the NRC requirement.

Good luck; hope things work out for you.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version