Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Instant SRO Questions  

Author Topic: Instant SRO Questions  (Read 42288 times)

Fermi2

Re: Instant SRO Questions
« Reply #25 on: Jun 21, 2006, 08:01 »
Spend as much time with the onshift SROs as you can. Watch requal. While you are waiting to class up make sure the majority of that time is spent onshift. Too many times the pre class time is spent helping the department catch up on admin.

To be honest, I've seen Instant SROs have trouble learning command and control, but they already had the basic skills. The big problem was displaying it while learning everything else.

If you don't have the ability you simply don't have it. I've never seen learned leadership.

Mike

M1Ark

« Reply #26 on: Jun 21, 2006, 09:30 »
It sounds like the difference would be in your perceptions; not every BWR operator can pass PWR operator training, and I have long held the opinion that anyone that can operate the more complex system (closed primary loop and S/G's) can operate the less complex system. It sounds like the simpler system gave you a good foundation; much like the simple Navy systems (or even see-through power plant demonstrations) have provided a foundation for many of us.

Roll Tide,

You're absolutely right.  I spoke in generalities that is not always true.  I was only describing the folks I knew at my current plant.  The general uninformed opinion at my current PWR is that a BWR is simpler to operate.  I usually stay quiet regarding that issue since I could never convince them otherwise.  They are actually quite wrong in that opinion and only someone who has experienced both can truly weigh in on the subject.  PWR's are harder to manage for me during outages... maneuvering from Mode 3 to Mode 6.  I think it is due to lack of experience and being completely foreign to how I used to do it.

NucEng,

You've heard very good input from a lot of good people.  You will enjoy license class.  It is a PITA while you're going through it but truly a blast because of the growth you'll undertake and the funny times and situations you'll encounter.

NucEng for Hire

« Reply #27 on: Jun 21, 2006, 11:27 »
You've heard very good input from a lot of good people...

I agree and appreciate the time taken with these detailed replies. On the academic side, ANS offers a mentoring program which is in some ways deficient to what one can get out of this board. Here, the answers emerge from the array of members who’ve been there, as opposed to trying to exact the answers from a single assigned mentor.

If I can take a step back and ask a more general question:

I understand the command hierarchy from CRS downward, but am less aware of the dynamic between the CRS and SM (moving upward), both during the course of a 12 hour shift and in general as part of operations. Any insight?
« Last Edit: Jun 21, 2006, 01:41 by NucEng for Hire »

Fermi2

« Reply #28 on: Jun 21, 2006, 01:25 »
Nuc,

A CRS is an SRO. The CRS is the guy in direct charge of the plant and the ROs. I'm think you mean the relationship between the SM and the CRS?

The CRS works for the SM. Look at it this way, the CRS would be a foreman in an Auto Shop where the SM would be the the link between the Foreman and Upper Management with quite a bit more responsibility than the Auto Shop guy.

Mike

NucEng for Hire

« Reply #29 on: Jun 21, 2006, 01:35 »
I'm think you mean the relationship between the SM and the CRS?

Yes, that was my intention (my previous post has now been edited). I was seeking the dynamic going upward, rather than CRS/RO/NLO which I am more familiar with. Broadzilla, I recall a post from a while back when you touched on this, leading up to the person who could tell anyone "no", but I can't locate it.
« Last Edit: Jun 21, 2006, 01:38 by NucEng for Hire »

Fermi2

« Reply #30 on: Jun 21, 2006, 01:47 »
The SM can tell anyone No, and under most circumstances if he needs resources they have to be provided, however anyone who uses these carte blanche is an idiot. It's always better to have people do as you want because they know you're trying to do the right thing.

The CRS works for the SM. In a well managed plant the CRS should be able to do whatever the SM does, in other words, when the CRS requests something or says no the various organizations know he/she is speaking for the SM. This all depends on the decision making capability of the CRS. When I was at Fermi I had two real good ones, they knew when  exactly I wanted a call and they knew when they made a decision that I normally made or had input to that they needed to get ahold of me.

When I worked with guest CRS types I usually took a bit tighter control, again depending on the person or their experience. For just about the last 3 classes of upgrades we trained them so well and they were such good quality it was easy to lift the reigns darn fast.

For Instants, and by that I mean instants who had no previous RO or SRO experience anywhere I was always keeping a close eye on them.

Mike

rlbinc

« Reply #31 on: Jun 21, 2006, 04:56 »
I recommend spending developmental time making plant rounds with Operators. Learn that Outside The Control Room stuff, your License Class will cover the Control Room choreography in excruciating detail. See how the components operate in the plant, equipment locations, local panel locations, bus arrangement, etc.

I'd like for you to hand crank a 345kv switchyard disconnect and see your shadow in the gravel from the arc. There are numerous "calls" made from the Control Room that require substantial safety awareness and pose considerable risk.
This is very important and will NEVER be seen on an NRC examination.

To learn from operators, I advise you to respect and acknowledge their experience based knowledge. Most of the better operators have an ego, and they like showing off their detailed knowledge to an appreciative audience. Most Control Rooms ALLOW conversation related to plant operation at the panels. Use this and visit the crew to learn something new. Many things are TRIBAL knowledge, and this is the ceremonial grounds appropriate for transfer of enlightenment.

You won't get it in a classroom.

check valve

« Reply #32 on: Jun 25, 2006, 12:37 »
Im a navy nuke getting out soon. 
Lets say I take an instant SRO job offer.
Whats the worst case scenario, and the best case scenario?  (i.e.  fail, get fired, do well, etc)

Fermi2

« Reply #33 on: Jun 25, 2006, 03:42 »
I've yet to see anyone get fired for failing an Instant SRO class.

Of course the best scenario is doing well.

Mike

Fermi2

« Reply #34 on: Jun 26, 2006, 08:02 »
Hey Mike,

When is your starting date?

Do you have a copy of the BWR GFES Texts? (at least the General physics texts)

Are you using the NRC WEbsite to get a handle on GFES Exam Questions?

Mike

NucEng for Hire

« Reply #35 on: Jun 26, 2006, 10:10 »
Hey Mike,

When is your starting date?

Do you have a copy of the BWR GFES Texts? (at least the General physics texts)

Are you using the NRC WEbsite to get a handle on GFES Exam Questions?

Mike

Start date is tentatively July 10, although there is still one final pre-employment screening visit that needs to be arranged and completed. I'll be heading down to stay in a hotel business suite until the end of August, and will take advantage of their relocation services after I get a feel for the areas north and northwest of Baton Rouge.

As part of my nuc eng graduate specialization, we worked within the NRC GFE question banks for the three subject areas (with roughly equally treatment between PWR & BWR). I had a bit of a head start because I did a lot of specific study of Rankine cycles as an undergrad mech eng. We were not given any specialized GFE texts, utilizing primarily Glasstone and Todreas references and also packets created by the university instructor, a former training instructor.

Mike
« Last Edit: Jun 26, 2006, 10:30 by NucEng for Hire »

Fermi2

« Reply #36 on: Jun 26, 2006, 10:29 »
Hmmm...

Both the company I worked for and the one I currently work for provided the texts. When I took my BWR GFE we used the General Electric Texts, my understanding is my old company uses the General Physics stuff now as GP follows changes in the NRC questions very closely. This was taught by a utility instructor

For my PWR GFE we used General Physics PWR Texts. We had a contract instructor named Marco Faust who was excellent, probably the best Theory Instructor I've ever had either in the Navy, or commercial world. I believe he tries to contract at at least one utility every quarter. He had a License from Surry.

I believe the industry is moving towards using primarily GP stuff. BWR Reactor Theory isn't all that bad. It's very understandable and straight forward. Voids are one cool concept.

On the other hand, I HATED BWR Thermal Limits. Not that they're all that tough conceptually but operationally they can be a bear.

I have copies of the BWR GP stuff if you want. Just let me know.

Mike

NucEng for Hire

« Reply #37 on: Jun 26, 2006, 10:49 »
I checked out the General Physics GFE prep webpage, and their bulleted list looks nearly word-for-word like our syllabus (I'm sure not a coincidence). It looks like the majority of training programs use GP, so I'll ask what the plant uses when I get down there, and if it's something other than GP, I may take you up on your offer. Thanks.

If you like voids, you'll love "Thermalhydraulics of a Boiling Water Nuclear Reactor 2nd Ed" by Lahey.

Offline flamatrix99

• Moderate User
  • I really dig you Sir...
« Reply #38 on: Nov 09, 2006, 07:23 »
You guys that have BWR and PWR experience. At FPL the first part of NLO class is the PWR GFE. I passed it pretty easily and was wondering how the BWR GFE compares?

Doug
« Last Edit: Nov 09, 2006, 07:27 by flamatrix99 »

M1Ark

« Reply #39 on: Nov 09, 2006, 07:32 »
You guys that have BWR and PWR experience. At FPL the first part of NLO class is the PWR GFE. I passed it pretty easily and was wondering how the BWR GFE compares?

Doug

I received an identical score on both exams taken 7 years apart. All of the boron questions will be replaced by voids.  LHR and DNBR will be replaced by MCPR, LHGR and APLHGR for thermal limits.  That will be about 10 to 20% of the exam and the rest will be identical.

M1Ark

Fermi2

« Reply #40 on: Nov 09, 2006, 10:40 »
I aced both, 12 years apart. I think BWR Thermal limits were tougher to learn and on an operational standpoint are always something you have to watch more than in a PWR.

There weren't any major issues though.

Mike

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?