Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu A good MicroRmeter Recommendation honeypot

Author Topic: A good MicroRmeter Recommendation  (Read 9169 times)

tabai

A good MicroRmeter Recommendation
« on: Nov 04, 2005, 11:33 »

I need to buy a good microRmeter. I am looking for sometning preferably with stable reading. Ludlum lists models 19A and 192 with 0 to 5000 MicroR range on various scales.

I would like some feedback and your experiences with MicroRmeters; your favorites, the pro's and con's, recommandations, etc ...

This is for use at a RadioPharmaceutical manufacturing site.

Thank You.

Seyed

halflifer

Re: A good MicroRmeter Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: Nov 04, 2005, 11:41 »
I am currently working at a site that uses the Bicro Micro R and the Ludlum M-19. I like both of them with my choice on any given day being dependent on the task at hand.
The Bicron's greater range makes it a more versitile instrument, but if you don't expect to see dose rates >5mr/hr, the Model 19's audible response makes it handy when you're doing a 'quickee' survey or multi-tasking.

Offline stormgoalie

• Former RP Supervisor, now an Engineer......
  • Very Heavy User
  • Go fast or go home!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 04, 2005, 12:35 »
Bicron also makes their Micro Analyst meter that has variable response times as well as the audio coupled with the higher range of their standard MicroR meter.  Another option is to look at the FAG FH40 F4 meters.  There is also the Automess meter available on the market.  Both the FAG and Automess have an LCD display with autoranging standard. 

Cheers,

Jim Rodgers
RP Lead tech.
Ontario Power Generation
WWMF
WARNING: Translation of author's random thoughts may have resulted in the unintended introduction of grammatical errors, typos, technical inaccuracies, lies, propaganda, rhetoric, or blasphemy.

Offline cincinnatinuke

• Chemistry Technician CCNPP
  • Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #3 on: Nov 04, 2005, 01:43 »
Another one of note is the Eberline E-600 and a SSPA-3 scintillation probe.  The meter has a digital interface and also autoranges and digital display of analog output.  You can use it as a ratemeter, scaler, or even to integrate, or for peak values.  I also have the software for it, and its pretty straight forward.  I would not recommend letting a novice use this since you can easily tap a button or change form rate to integrate.

stownsend

« Reply #4 on: Nov 04, 2005, 03:29 »
You should look into the energy ranges of the isotopes you want.The Bicron we use for tissue equivalent dose rates and I used them very effiently(sp) for radwaste shipments.I was surveying landscape soils packaged in gondolas with predominently cs137 and saw the lud 19 respond higher.We also have a low energy Bicron with a mylar window for surveying RGD's(x-ray type)machines.I perfer the Bicron as an all around meter(200 mr/hr max),the low scale up to 20 micro r/hr is ok.The lud 19 we use for release of potentially activated material.At the isotope production facility I work in we use ro20's due to the higher rad levels of the product.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #5 on: Nov 04, 2005, 09:06 »
if your doing environmental work, and the other points that have been brought up are satisfied, then i'd go with the m19.  it is extremely durable 'n will withstand alot of abuse.  eye herd it makes a good pillow iffen yer under a willow tree.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?