Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Nuke Qualifying Test  

Author Topic: Nuke Qualifying Test  (Read 160081 times)

HeavyD

Re: Nuke Qualifying Test
« Reply #125 on: Jul 16, 2013, 03:26 »
First piece of advice; lose the attitude about your education being better than public school and the government making you take another test because you didn't attend a "government school".

Sections 2.d, 2.e, and 2.f of the below link all specifically mention high school.
http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/reference/milpersman/1000/1300Assignment/Documents/1306-502.pdf

Additionally, the recruiters have their own procedures that they must follow, with specific instructions for home schooled individuals.

As a Nuke, regulations, procedures and established processes are simply not put in place so the government has control of stuff ( for the most part, that is).  Our entire field (Navy) and industry (civilian) revolve around the simple process of procedural compliance.  We do NOT deviate from approved procedures and processes without good reason.  When we do deviate, there is a process laid out to do just that while rectifying the deficiency that drove us in that direction in the first place.

Additionally, neither high ASVAB nor Nuke field test scores are any guarantee of success in the Nuke field.  I had a guy in my class score a 99, along with a 78 on the Nuke test.  He also was Valedictorian of his private high school graduating class, which he took every opportunity to remind us "public school flunkies" (his words) of.  He failed out week 7 of Power School. 

Both tests, coupled with exposure to chemistry, algebra, and physics from high school, simply give a rough indicator of an individual's potential to learn and understand the concepts taught and successfully complete the training pipeline.

Simply put, you have the potential to complete the Navy's Nuclear training program.  If you can handle the military side of things as well, that is.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #126 on: Jul 16, 2013, 08:30 »
Forget the fact that private schools on average test better than public schools, forget that I just basically aced the ASVAB.

Fermi2

« Reply #127 on: Jul 16, 2013, 08:55 »
Wow, I ought to tell me daughter, a public schooled kid, she has no right being the top of her class at Sewanee which is one of the top schools in the country with nearly 95% of the students being private schooled.

I guess I had no business being top of my Nuke school class with all the private schooled genius types who went to school with me.

Snowflake drop the attitude.

Offline x633ro

• Light User
« Reply #128 on: Jul 16, 2013, 09:43 »
Still have to appreciate the attitude, remember high school college and boot camp thinking you were smarter than everyone else because you didn't have to study etc. Then getting thrown in the Nuke program and realizing you may have been mistaken, then commercial and finding out you were totally wrong.

Fermi2

« Reply #129 on: Jul 16, 2013, 10:28 »
I studied a lot harder in commercial because I had to. Everything was so much more complex. I think maybe in NNPS I signed in to study about 15 hours total.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #130 on: Jul 16, 2013, 11:29 »
I think maybe in NNPS I signed in to study about 15 hours total.

That was just to correct some of the instructor's exam keys, right?  8)

stefanc2011

« Reply #131 on: Jul 22, 2013, 07:40 »
Just an update on this question. I went to MEPS St. Louis yesterday and scored a 99 on the ASVAB. However, I was told that just because I went to private school I would have to take the additional test. No one told me about that before I went down to MEPS, and they wouldn't let me take it that day, even though the administrator was there and we had the time. So I'm going to have to take another day off work sometime and drive the several hours to St. Louis to take the test, in spite of an impressive ASVAB score (if I do say so myself). Forget the fact that private schools on average test better than public schools, forget that I just basically aced the ASVAB. It's basically just another thing the government does because you came from a non-government school.

I also aced the ASVAB, went to a public school, and attended college...still had to take the NAPT.  It has nothing to do with public vs. private.  You can ace the ASVAB and still not line score high enough for nuke, which is why some people get made to take the NAPT.  In my case, it was because of a rather poor showing of my knowledge in college math.

If you want some advice, don't take things personally.  It's a rule, just the way it is.  If you make it into the program, you will have upwards of two years (of training anyways)  of doing things that make no sense because someone, higher rank than you, determined that is the way it should be.  It is much easier to keep your head down, do what is asked of you, and realize that everybody is being made to do the same thing.  Don't be the guy always complaining about cleaning, standing night study watch, security watch, or any of the myriad of things that come about in A school and NPS.  Just get it over with, and move on.  Your happiness, and everyone else's too, will be just a tad higher.

Offline EM UMPTY SQUAT

• Light User
« Reply #132 on: Jul 29, 2013, 02:19 »
cz9mmer... Don't join the navy, you're way too smart for even the Nuke Program

IM KIDDING, 1. TONS of nukes get 99 on their ASVAB, so you may be smart compared to bubba who can barely read but you most likely WON'T be the smartest wanna-be nuke in your A-school or Power School class. 2. The whole, I'm smarter than you and too good for this attitude is exactly what I had going into bootcamp and A-school, trust me you don't want that attitude but don't worry they will change it for you realllllyyyy quick or you just won't be around anymore (your choice). 3. I had a 99 asvab too and had to take the nuke test because i got a D in Calculus the last quarter of my senior year of PUBLIC high school (I missed 24 days that quarter because in my mind i was DONE :P ) 4. The nuke test isn't difficult, it's basic math and science questions that anyone as smart as YOU should be able to get no problem. 5. A-school and Power School has little to do with your intelligence and more to do with WORK ETHIC and ability to memorize things.

GOOD LUCK

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?