Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Nuke Qualifying Test
honeypot

Author Topic: Nuke Qualifying Test  (Read 160090 times)

Offline Jechtm

• Moderate User
Re: Nuke Qualifying Test
« Reply #75 on: Sep 29, 2010, 10:50 »
Whoaaaa...calculator?? I used a calculator when I took the Nuke entry exam at the Houston, Texas Meps late in 1984 and was almost done when my recruiter walked in and told me I was not allowed to use a calculator on the exam. He took the exam from me (scored a 69 after he graded) and said that we are to pretend that it never took place and he would schedule me for another different Nuke entry exam (without the calculator) because they didnt want to ruin my future. I took "the exact same" exam the following week and scored a 72....lol

THEY HAD CALCULATORS PRE-1990????
Whoaaa.....

"Truth is the Daughter of Inspiration;... It is like a finger pointing a way to the moon. Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory."

~Bruce Lee

co60slr

« Reply #76 on: Sep 30, 2010, 07:07 »
http://www.vintagecalculators.com/html/history_of_electronic_calculat.html
This was my "hand-held video game" in 1977...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170539337395

Meanwhile, we had Pong on the TV:
http://www.pong-story.com/atpong2.htm

(Sigh)...those were the days.  (Sung by Archie Bunker, of course).... [hijack]

co60slr

« Reply #77 on: Sep 30, 2010, 09:08 »
That's not "Those Were the Days", that was the All In the Family Theme Song.

"Those Were the Days" was some Russian sounding thing covered by lots of folks but I always relate it to Tony Orlando and Dawn, although I do not know if they even covered it. "Those Were the Days" just seems to fit Tony Orlando and Dawn perfectly, you may be a few years too young to remember all this.
"...those were the days".  I didn't say song TITLE.  Yes, All in the Family Theme song, which you appear to have forgotten the lyrics (as sung by Archie Bunker).

Here...I even found it on YouTube for you:

Apparently you're getting too old...forgetting your 1970s sitcom song lyrics already?

co60slr

« Reply #78 on: Sep 30, 2010, 11:08 »
frickin' nukes,...always gotta have a comeback,...... :P :) ;) ;D 8)  ROFL :-> [quit] [Flamer]

The flamer emoticon is my favorite, he just looks like he's having way too much fun,... [Flamer]
Indeed. Back on topic...the real "Nuke Qualifying Test".   ;-)

Offline walstib

• Moderate User
  • I hate Monday's
« Reply #79 on: Sep 30, 2010, 12:44 »
THEY HAD CALCULATORS PRE-1990????
Whoaaa.....

Long in the tooth that I am, they had calculators back in 1974, although we weren't allowed to use them.  Went through nuke school using a slide rule for all the math.  Nowadays it's just a neat looking ruler that extends out.  Don't ask me how it works anymore for math, though I knew once a long time ago, and I was amazed then at how accurate they were overall.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail -Emerson
If you are going through hell, keep going
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - H S Thompson

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #80 on: Sep 30, 2010, 12:48 »
Long in the tooth that I am, they had calculators back in 1974,

Yes but they cost a weeks pay or more and did less than the ones built into rulers and clipboards now.

Offline IRLFAN

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #81 on: Sep 30, 2010, 07:28 »
Long in the tooth that I am, they had calculators back in 1974, although we weren't allowed to use them.  Went through nuke school using a slide rule for all the math.  Nowadays it's just a neat looking ruler that extends out.  Don't ask me how it works anymore for math, though I knew once a long time ago, and I was amazed then at how accurate they were overall.

I went through Nuke school with a slide rule too, and still have it.  When I took it to work almost no one there had ever seen one, much less knew how to use it.  It's amazing that instrument technicians who are responsible for calibrating logarithmic instruments don't understand what logarithms are.
Democracy is 4 wolves and 1 sheep
voting on what's for dinner.

Liberty is the sheep with a .357 magnum
telling the wolves where to stick it.

mikko10101

« Reply #82 on: Oct 05, 2010, 08:27 »
Do you have to be able to pass the physical requirements to be a navy nuke?

Fermi2

« Reply #83 on: Oct 05, 2010, 08:59 »

WTF ?? Officially the stupidest question I've seen here.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #84 on: Oct 05, 2010, 09:08 »
You mean they can't just slide Stephen Hawking down the torpedo reload assembly?!? 

Fermi2

« Reply #85 on: Oct 05, 2010, 09:16 »
My eye nearly snapped when they rolled back so hard.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #86 on: Oct 05, 2010, 09:45 »
My eye nearly snapped when they rolled back so hard.

took a 75 R dose to the brain, did ye? ;)

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #87 on: Oct 06, 2010, 07:13 »
took a 75 R dose to the brain, did ye? ;)

Trojan!!! Transfer canal!!! In the 80s!!!

Did I solve the Mystery in Nuclear Clue  [whistle]

Offline Estis

• Light User
« Reply #88 on: Oct 06, 2010, 11:03 »

Yes, you do. I am in dep and as far as I have experienced, in regards to physical activity, I have been treated no differently than any other future sailor. Weight limits and PT standards are the same for everyone.
Note: I am currently a NUB, therefore, take all answers/replies/opinions with the grain of salt it deserves

Wickedbob

« Reply #89 on: Oct 20, 2010, 03:17 »
Well, I've got a few questions to what is exactly on the test. I've looked around here the past few days and have gotten physics, algebra 1-2, geometry, and chemistry. I was just wandering if this is correct and if so, what type of questions should I expect from each subject? Chem and Physics are full of info, so I'd like to know if I'm id'ing molecules and calculating mech advantage, or going way beyond into the advanced fields.

I'm very nervous for the test, and so have been studying like crazy. I did well on my asvab, 88, and was only 4 points off, 246 out 250, from being automatically qualified for nuke. With that in mind, should I be stressing so much over the NAPT?

Also, I've already signed a contract for IT, I've heard nuke has high drop out rates and they have a high quota to meet, so I should have no trouble getting in right?

Lastly, I hear they let you use calculators, so can you use a texas instruments Ti-84 graphing? It can transmit data, which I heard they disqualifies them. If anybody knows if they check, and go by this it would be great, and if so recommend a good graphing, or scientific calculator which fits the regulations.

Thanks,

Micheal

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #90 on: Oct 20, 2010, 07:15 »
Don't take this the wrong way, but the purpose of the test is see if you have the background to be successful in the pipeline.  Unless you're several years removed from school I don't think there are any topics that can be pinpointed as more important than others.  It's been 26 years since I took the exam and I'm sure it's different now. 

The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

MCWunjo

« Reply #91 on: Oct 20, 2010, 10:40 »
They provided a calculator for my test. It was ancient. Had a 3-state switch nobody knew the function of. Anyways, I don't remember the test so well so I couldn't tell you what was on it, sorry. It was mostly math on my version, though. Not too much chemistry. The only equations I remember needing to recall were for area and volume. Don't stress about it. Hopefully you like your original rating just in case. Good luck.

Offline crewjobs_too

• Light User
« Reply #92 on: Oct 22, 2010, 02:16 »
My son had scored a 99 on the ASVAB back in January at MEPS  and they told him that he had automatically qualified for nuke and was supposed to meet the nuke recruiter that same day to complete his package, but by chance the nuclear recruiter was not at MEPS that day. They had to come back next week.  On the return visit to MEPS the nuclear officer was there and he made them all take the NAPT anyway.  He scored a 69 out of 80.   My son says it was not hard. They handed out 4 function calculators to use even though he brought a graphing calculator with him. 

Best of luck to you.

I'm very nervous for the test, and so have been studying like crazy. I did well on my asvab, 88, and was only 4 points off, 246 out 250, from being automatically qualified for nuke. With that in mind, should I be stressing so much over the NAPT?

Dad of a 22 year old ETN.

co60slr

« Reply #93 on: Oct 22, 2010, 05:19 »
Lastly, I hear they let you use calculators, so can you use a texas instruments Ti-84 graphing? It can transmit data, which I heard they disqualifies them. If anybody knows if they check, and go by this it would be great, and if so recommend a good graphing, or scientific calculator which fits the regulations.
My first recommendation is to ask your Nuke Recruiter.  He'll have the lastest information for you.

Secondly, reconsider your thoughts of "maybe my calculator is illegal but hey guys...do they check?".   Do the right thing in this field.  That simple philosophy will carry you a LONG way.  Besides, guess what happens if someone figures out DURING the exam that you're essentially cheating.   Feel free to search "cheating" and "integrity" in this forum in your spare time even if only to note the number of postings on the subject.

Finally, I don't think I ever used a graphing calculator for anything but calculus courses (outside the Navy).  A cheap Casio FX114 or whatever $20 or less scientific calculator should be fine.  Otherwise, I'm known to read more into postings here than I should, but it sounds like you have a fear of math (i.e., using a calculator as a crutch?).    The (only?) way to ease your fear of this important subject is to practice, practice, practice.   In the future, you'll likely be more graded on how you set up a problem...not how fast your fingers got to a 5 significant digit number that fails to answer the question.   It's been awhile, but you may find yourself losing only 0.5 pts on an 8 pt question for a math error, and all 8 pts if you fail to understand the concept.

The best advice I received in high school from my amazing Physics teacher:   "I don't care what YOUR answer is...I want to know how you got there!"

Welcome to the world of Engineering.

Co60

rmdiebold

« Reply #94 on: Nov 06, 2010, 01:08 »
Hi guys.. so heres my situation maybe you can help me out. I scored a 92 on the AFQT my combined total of all the tests was 650.. my requiter says thats good. The paper i got also says i don't need to take the NAPT.. however my problem is i didn't go to a tier 1 school in high school and the highest math class i've complete was basic algebra. i was told not completing higher math makes it hard to get into nuke. I've had hardly any college classes and i'm beginning to think my recruiter might be slow.. does anyone have any advice on what i should do to make sure i get in and if i even qualify?? any advice would be welcome.

Offline retread

• Old, fat meter reader
  • Heavy User
  • Every day above ground is a good one
« Reply #95 on: Nov 06, 2010, 02:18 »
Here is some advice:

Avoid pointing out 'stupid' things that 'smart' people do, because the 'smart' person knows what he is doing (that is why they are deemed 'smart') and the fact that you may think it was 'stupid' is because you are so.

A little advice: When giving advice ensure what you write is grammatically correct or you would not be deemed "smart".  Thus your awesome advice may not be taken and the person receiving it may suffer as a result.
In dwelling, be close to the land.
In meditation, go deep in the heart.
In dealing with others, be patient and kind.
In speech, be true.
In ruling, be just.
In business, be competent.

Offline sovbob

• Fact-Checker
  • Moderate User
  • Vanguard of the Vox Populi
« Reply #96 on: Nov 06, 2010, 02:42 »
Hi guys.. so heres my situation maybe you can help me out. I scored a 92 on the AFQT my combined total of all the tests was 650.. my requiter says thats good. The paper i got also says i don't need to take the NAPT.. however my problem is i didn't go to a tier 1 school in high school and the highest math class i've complete was basic algebra. i was told not completing higher math makes it hard to get into nuke. I've had hardly any college classes and i'm beginning to think my recruiter might be slow.. does anyone have any advice on what i should do to make sure i get in and if i even qualify?? any advice would be welcome.

What do you mean when you say you "didn't go to a tier I school in high school"?  If you graduated from a traditional state-accredited public or private high school, you're tier I.  If you acquired your high school diploma from a non-traditional source (GED, foreign high school, home-school, etc) then you're tier II.  If you were home-schooled and you got above a 50 on the AFQT, you're upgraded to tier I (but you still need to take the NAPT).

The nuke requirement for math is Algebra I.  Pre-algebra is not acceptable.

Here's a quote from COMNAVCRUITCOM 1130.8H Volume 4 Section 010102
http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/publications/Directives/1130_8H_VOL%20IV_Programs%20%26%20Classification-with%20CH%206.pdf

"a. Education

(1) HSDG Required. Applicants for the NF Program must be HSDG from a state-
accredited high school and coded as ā€œ12Lā€. Applicants who attended any non-
traditional program during high school, applicants who attained HSDG status by any
means other than a state-accredited high school diploma, and applicants that graduated
from a foreign high school require a NF Type 2 Non-Traditional Education Waiver.
(3) Algebra. Applicants must have completed one year of high school or college
level algebra."
« Last Edit: Nov 06, 2010, 03:07 by sovbob »
"Everyone's entitled to be stupid now and then, but you're abusing the privilege."

rmdiebold

« Reply #97 on: Nov 07, 2010, 12:54 »
What do you mean when you say you "didn't go to a tier I school in high school"?

Oh nothing, just my recruiter told me that they might not except me because i went to a tier II school... anyways thanks for the info and the help. I wasn't getting any answer to my questions with the recruiter so i figured I'd try a forum and see what I got. It was helpful.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #98 on: Nov 07, 2010, 10:32 »
. And they will both clearly understand each other with a vocabulary of 100 words, not all of English origin.

and if they don't have a word for it, the placeholder word is "donkey **** apparatus"  ;)

Deannatroy

« Reply #99 on: Nov 17, 2010, 03:26 »
Hi. I am 17, still in high school, and just signed up for the Navy. I got an 87 on my ASVAB, but scored a 238 on NUKE so I have to take the test as well. My current job is a CTR so I am not sure if I should try for NUKE or not. I have been adviced to by my recruiter and the Chief, but not sure how I will do. Can anyone tell me  what type of things are on the test? Last night was my first time even hearing the word NUKE!!!!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?