Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Nuke Qualifying Test

Author Topic: Nuke Qualifying Test  (Read 160125 times)

MiGuELiTo0527

Re: Nuke Qualifying Test
« Reply #25 on: Feb 17, 2006, 03:52 »

Well, after reading all of your comments and suggestions about the test and what to expect, I feel a little more at ease.  I myself am taking the test a little later today.  So I know I should probably be in bed getting a full night's rest, but I figured I'd do a little last-minute research.   :P  My thoughts on what to expect... ???   I'm still dumbfounded, however, I scored an 83 on the ASVAB without really studying, and I believe I only missed not having to take the nuke test by about 7 points.  The only thing that really freaks me out is the physics part.  I took AP physics in High School and did horribly.  No matter how much I paid attention and took notes, I just didn't get it.  However I was at the top of my class as far as math and chemistry were concerned.  But I don't  know, I guess we shall see.  All I know is that I'd really like to have job as a nuke, because when I was in college, my major was biochemistry, so I figure going nuke would be the closest thing to that.  Not only that, but as a civilian after I finish my time in the Navy, I'm sure I could really start making some big bucks.  All in all, I guess I'm just going to go in and do my best, so wish me luck everyone, I know I'll need it.  I'll let you all know how I did when I get my results.   ;D
-Mike

Offline Bighouz107501

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #26 on: Feb 17, 2006, 10:22 »
Wells Sir, Best of luck to you on the NAPT. Please keep us updated.

WarKrisMagic

« Reply #27 on: Feb 21, 2006, 08:17 »
I, too, discovered nuke worker while doing late night research about what to expect on my nuke exam the night before the test ;).  All in all I was quite happy to have found this site, as its been very informative.  Anyhow, I took the test last thursday the 16th, and despite my fears I actually did quite well(75/80) and am now just awaiting my new contract so I can change to nuke (currently I'm AECF).  Pretty much what everyone has been saying, Algebra 1 and 2, a bit of geometry, and some really basic chem.  While definately brush up on some work, I wouldn't stress too much on the physics, as there wasn't really to much on the test.

MiGuELiTo0527

« Reply #28 on: Feb 21, 2006, 04:22 »
Well despite all of my fears, I passed the test...I got a 66/80.  I know it's probably not that good, but for me it was awesome being as how I only needed a 53 to pass.  So thanks to everyone who was able to help me out a little bit and let me know what to expect.  Now I'm just awaiting my waivers to go through, and then I can start working on my new contract.  So wish me luck everyone, and I'll keep all of you updated.
-Mike

taterhead

« Reply #29 on: Feb 21, 2006, 06:19 »
I scored a 52 nine years ago...

good enough is good enough 8)

shayne

« Reply #30 on: Feb 21, 2006, 09:01 »
Congrats to all..

Offline Bighouz107501

• Moderate User
« Reply #31 on: Feb 21, 2006, 09:45 »
Congrats...Hopefully I work by all your sides soon. I'm glad that I could be of some help anywhere near the moderators and members of this forum.

WarKrisMagic

« Reply #32 on: Feb 21, 2006, 10:47 »
I passed the test...I got a 66/80.  I know it's probably not that good, but for me it was awesome being as how I only needed a 53 to pass.

Actually, thats really good.  The current average is only 59.  And congrats on passing, maybe I'll see you around... I'm also waiting for a few waivers, but I should find out my ship date some time this week.

atangammon

« Reply #33 on: Apr 29, 2006, 12:18 »
Hello everyone, i'm currently an AT with VFA-146. I am being told I have to cross rate because a I can not be flight deck qualified. I missed not having to take the NAPT by 14 points in the line score sections. Just wondering if I take the NAPT and do not get a 50, does anyone know if  I am allowed to retake the ASVAB to get the score I need? I heard you can only take the NAPT one time where as the ASVAB you can take several. I am asking because my NC1 is trying to find out what all I should study and when I should take the exam. Since I am the first time her or anyone in this command to want to cross over to nuke i thought i'd look on line and see what i could find out about the whole exam and this site has helped lower my stress level. i am not sure if i should hold off longer and study more or if i should go take it and then go from there but i dont want to bomb the test if i only have one shot.

Offline Bighouz107501

• Moderate User
« Reply #34 on: Apr 29, 2006, 08:17 »
From my understanding you MUST score a 50 to qualify for the program anyways. This is because 50 is a passing score...but I'm not 100 percent on this but from my knowledge u need to score at least a 50.

timandnancys

NAPT
« Reply #35 on: Jul 04, 2006, 07:37 »
Hello, had a question.  I scored a 90 on ASVAB, but I did not score high enough on the part needed to get into Nuke.  I enlisted, knowing that I have the NAPT to take, and if I score at least a 50, then my contract will be changed.  My question is this, if I do not do well enough on the NAPT, can it be taken again?

shayne

Re: NAPT
« Reply #36 on: Jul 04, 2006, 10:32 »
I believe you are only allowed to take it once.  However, that was the policy when I joined the Navy, it may have changed.  I would contact your recruiter and ask.

Rad Sponge

« Reply #37 on: Jul 05, 2006, 09:32 »
You went ahead and enlisted without a nuke contract on the hopes you might maybe just possibly be able to take the nuke test?  :o :o :o :o

Say it aint so...

So what job did you end up taking?

LRM

« Reply #38 on: Jul 08, 2006, 08:19 »
If your goal is to get into the nuclear field, enlisting for anything except nuke is not your best bet.  There are ways into the nuclear field outside of the navy; they do not hold the exclusive on nuclear training.
If you want to serve your country and nuclear seems the best option, go for it understanding that you may end up on a different path.  I have met many nuke drop outs and they were all very happy in their new fields (many glad they did not make it through).  Routes exist to nuclear trades outside of the nuke pipeline: nuclear detectors and instruments are calibrated and maintained by non-nuclear ETs (with specific schooling), I have worked with many non-nuclear rates (MM, HT, EM, ET, and probably more) in nuclear repair billets.
It is up to you to decide what it is that you really want and go for that.  Your post does not clarify this enough for specific advice.  If you want Navy Nuke, do not enlist except for nuclear (raise your hand and go to boot camp; I assume that you have not done this since you are talking about a contract change rather than a conversion).
I can not say whether the test can be given more than once, no idea (maybe at a different MEPS or after an amount of time), but if you do not pass on your first attempt make the best of your remaining alternatives.

Good Luck,

Lance

nucruiter

« Reply #39 on: Jul 10, 2006, 04:14 »
As a current Nuke Field Coordinator, I can tell you the following about the NAPT

If you get your 50, great.
If you get less than 40, you can never take it again
If you get between 40 and 50 you are eligible with the conditions:
   a.  90 days must elapse between first and second test.
   b.  You must take some kind of math course (high school, college, or online "upgrade" before retaking test.
   c.  You will take the opposite form of the first form taken (duh)
   d. Your new minimum score will be a 55, and you will require a type I waiver for entry.

As a nuke who wants to see you succeed, I can tell you the following:
   A. Don't sweat it.  With a 90 QT, you will have no problems getting your 50.
   B.  Ask questions during the test.  Questions are good   ;D
   C.  Tell the guy or girl giving you the test they remind you of your favorite uncle or aunt.  Please try to keep the gender consistent. 
   D.  If you follow advice C, you may not pass the test.  :P

taterhead

« Reply #40 on: Jul 10, 2006, 07:35 »
Sure is good to have a real live recruiter here to help out with these questions....welcome. :)

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #41 on: Jul 10, 2006, 08:34 »
   C.  Tell the guy or girl giving you the test they remind you of your favorite uncle or aunt.  Please try to keep the gender consistent. 

LOL
LOL

Thanks for the laugh, and great advice.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

kreliav

What's on the Nuke Test?
« Reply #42 on: Aug 05, 2006, 04:46 »
I recently graduated from college with a double major in history and political science. I've had three semesters of college calculus. But that was several years ago, and I've forgotten much of the math I learned.

I'm told that since I'm 25, I need an age waiver to go nuke. Thus, despite the fact that I scored a 99% on the ASVAB, they want me to take the nuke test.

Can anyone give me an idea of what's on it? I've been told that it has algebra, trig, and maybe a little calculus. But that's all I know. Thus, I have only the vaguest idea of which concepts to review in studying for this test.

Does anyone know exactly which concepts the test covers?

shayne

Re: What's on the Nuke Test?
« Reply #43 on: Aug 05, 2006, 05:27 »
Can anyone give me an idea of what's on it? I've been told that it has algebra, trig, and maybe a little calculus. But that's all I know. Thus, I have only the vaguest idea of which concepts to review in studying for this test.

Does anyone know exactly which concepts the test covers?

Although I took it early in the 90's when I was still in High School.  You have covered most of the math, I seem to remember some Geometery questions also.  The exam will also have some physics and chemisty questions also.  I think there was 80 questions and you will have 2 hours to complete it all.  I believe I was done in just about an hour.

Offline smoothtoaster

• Light User
« Reply #44 on: Aug 06, 2006, 01:09 »
this question has been answered many many times on this fourm.

you are about to get a bunch of posts telling you that you should be an officer. why did you choose not to go that route? you should.

----------------
smoothtoaster

Offline ChiefRocscooter

• Heavy User
« Reply #45 on: Aug 06, 2006, 01:24 »
Funny that people think a degree is auto entry to officer ranks.  I was enlisted recruiter for 4+ years and put in many college grads as enlisteds!  Look at the major, navy does not need many history major, the Ocat (thier version of asvab) is heavily slanted to math and science and they really want technical degrees.  That said many of the people I put in with degrees were picked up at first chance for officer accesion programs.  Believe it or not making it through boot camp carries wait (as well as doing a year or so enlisted to prove your worth and ability to conform to the Navy way).

Do not get me wrong!! If you have degree and qualify(pass OCAT and get accepted) go officer.  If you do not make cut then enlisted is a good way to go (I do not know if Nuke is good if you do not have an inate like of science and math) then put in for Officer once you are in.  Plain and simple being a SWO is better money and probably open more future carrer doors than being NUke enlisted (unless you know you want to do civilian Nuke after NAvy).

If you have question feel free to PM me and I will try to answer. (O yes the test pretty much has what Shayne said (except I remeber only precalc no calc, and some basic chem/physics , if you are concerned check out a CHEM and PHYSICS CLEP book from library and give them a review, but do not bust your button it cause it is fairly basic)

I quess I shoudl qualify by saying I was recruiter (District Nuke recruiter of the year) from 1992-1997.

Rob
Being adept at being adaptable I look forward to every new challenge!

visserjr

« Reply #46 on: Aug 07, 2006, 08:48 »
well said Rob 8)

kreliav

« Reply #47 on: Aug 08, 2006, 01:17 »
Yes, this question has been answered. I was hoping for some more detail inasmuch as "trigonometry" or "chemistry" are rather broad headings on which I can't just review and refresh my memory over a couple of days or weeks. But no worries. I've found what I needed.

As for the officer questions, yes, I explored that route. I spoke with an officer recruiter who told me, in not so many words, to take a hike. I have a speech impediment. They don't want me.

I was angry at first, but have since reconciled myself to the possibility of an enlisted career.

Offline ChiefRocscooter

• Heavy User
« Reply #48 on: Aug 08, 2006, 08:20 »
Sorry the answer was nor specific enough, I guess we just take the titles for granted.  Just remeber it is based on High school students qualifying so basic chem 1 and physics I should be goods enough.

On the offcier front, just remember that once you are the whole game changes.  If your CO (chain of command) endorses you the Navy will place huge stock in that.  I was also trying to get across that if you are not a guy who "likes" math and science then maybe there would be a better way to go.  You can get a commission from any job in the Navy.  If you want to be a Nuc then by all mean come join the team, but if you are not sure then look around there are lots of great job that will give you just as good if not better chance to get commissioned. (I have taled about this in another recent thread).

It may be a little bais on my part but give your majors I would tend to think that spending almost two more years in a technical training (lots of math and science, as well as hands on) may not be for you.  I am only trying to help here but if you like this stuff and had the money toi spend 4 four years in college then why did you end up with a history/pol sci degree?  Was your Calc applied cals or eng/sci degree calc?  How did you do in it? What about Chem, physics, computer, Eng classes all these would help as a Nuc.  I am bring all this up cause if you are going to make a career (and I have for 23 yrs) of the Navy make sure you get in the right field from the get go.  Recruiters do not always know what is best for, and neither do I, but I am not getting extra points for steering you into Nuke program, they are.
Good Luck.
Rob
Being adept at being adaptable I look forward to every new challenge!

kreliav

« Reply #49 on: Aug 08, 2006, 04:44 »
"It may be a little bais on my part but give your majors I would tend to think that spending almost two more years in a technical training (lots of math and science, as well as hands on) may not be for you."

------------------------------------------------
That objection has been put to me before. My lengthy answer follows.

In high school, my math aptitude was stronger than others. I considered myself a math person. I even won a couple of math awards.

But I suddenly developed other talents. My reluctance to socialize -- often due to my speech impediment -- led to a degree of social isolation, which in turn compelled me to develop my written communication skills at a much higher rate. I wouldn't chat with others on the phone, but I would sure write lengthy e-mails. My teachers loved my papers.

My talent for written communication developed rapidly. As a college student, I amused myself by writing deliberately inflammatory op-eds for the student paper (usually in defense of the Iraq war). They were so good that a graduate journalism professor tried to recruit me into his program.

As my high school years closed out, I also developed an insatiable interest in history and politics. Though I began college with a major tailored to my (high school) strengths -- engineering -- this made less and less sense to me with each passing day as my talent for writing steadily became more apparent and as I often neglected my assigned calculus homework to read, for instance, unassigned biographies about Hitler.

Hence, the choice of majors.

I was not a great engineering student, but hardly a bad one. A mediocre one, perhaps. I tested out of trig and Calc. I, made "B's" in Calc. II and a few of the standard 3-credit engineering courses, "C's" in chemistry and calc-based physics.

Thus, while the liberal arts majors I selected made a great deal of sense for me at the time, I'm quite ready to transition back to the technical fields now. My appetite for history and politics is not what it was, and to a large degree, I really feel as though I've studied all that I wanted to study. I'm still a hell of a writer. It's a nice talent to have. I imagine it'll come in useful from time to time, but no need to make a career out of it.

I no longer set my goals to the end of excelling academically and studying things that interest me. I'm more concerned about getting a good job now. I looked into what the job market has for holders of liberal arts degrees. There's not much (or at least not much that looks very exciting to me). I think it a mistake to decide my future based solely on my strengths as a writer as though all fields were equal. They are not. And those with technical backgrounds, in my judgment, seem to have a leg up on everyone else. 

Thus, I am quite content to choose a rating that has little to do with all that I've studied the previous four years. I am not quite a stranger to the pursuits of the math and science student. I have been one before. I can be one again. And perhaps in my off-duty time, I'll get back to work on that engineering degree.

I've made plenty of mistakes before. I may read this post again in six years and wonder what I was smoking. But for now, I'm willing to bet six years of my life that I won't.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?