Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Nuke Qualifying Test  

Author Topic: Nuke Qualifying Test  (Read 160096 times)

Offline ChiefRocscooter

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: What's on the Nuke Test?
« Reply #50 on: Aug 08, 2006, 07:21 »
Sounds to me like you wont have to look back with regret!  Keep the focus you have now and you will do fine.  The best Zen like advice I can give is to remember you are in controlof your thoughts and emotions.  Others may trigger them, push the button, or use what ever colloquiums you like!  Only you have the ability to respond.  Use this in boot camp, use it in Nuc school and prototype, and most of all use it in the fleet and you will do fine.  Once you take responsibility for your thoughts your action are then also your to own.  This and PMA (positive mental attitude) will get you thru the fire.

Good Luck

Rob
Being adept at being adaptable I look forward to every new challenge!

Navy2B

G'luck
« Reply #51 on: Aug 08, 2006, 09:45 »
Good luck to you Kreliav. I too have regretted my college choices a little (although I did choose pursuit of an engineering degree...)

The ASVAB % you refer to is actually the AFQT % (Armed forces... quantitative?) percentile sqcore, consisting of four of the 9 individual quiz scores, which is something like Arithmetic, Math Knowledge, Word Knowledge, and Reading Comprehension together.

The NUC field derived score is actually derived out of 4 various mixes other individual scores (in like, 2-3 different ways) that, if you score greater than 253, you don't need to take the NAPT / nuke test. However, if below this, and because your AFQT % is so high, you can take the Nuke test, and with a score minimum of 50+, that can be tacked onto your original derived score for a different req.

I know it seems a bloated explanation, but essentially you have several different ways to prove you're technically apt so the Navy gets a good prospective people, including those just on the border of becoming great.

I didn't take the nuke test myself, but if you brush up on your basic phys/chemistry, you should be good.

Given Navy's attitude of waivering a for those of good potential, I don't think your age waiver will be a problem at all. It might take up to a month to process, but you'll likely be in the DEP program far more than that anyway.
« Last Edit: Aug 08, 2006, 09:48 by Navy2B »

Draonc

Help
« Reply #52 on: Feb 01, 2007, 01:31 »
I am going to take the Navy Nuclear test soon and I dont know what I should study. I am a little scared that i might not make the grade. Anyone that can help me please I need it.

shayne

Re: Help
« Reply #53 on: Feb 01, 2007, 01:45 »
Have you tried the search?  There is much information posted about it.  I remember it covering mostly math (Algebra, Trig, geometry), chemistry and physics.

Draonc

« Reply #54 on: Feb 01, 2007, 01:52 »
I tried serching but nothing and my recruitor does not know anything about the test. The last time I was at MEPS they only told me that it would be on Physics and Math. I know I will pass the math part because I am a genuis at math but I dont know what to study when it comes to the Physics part

Rad Sponge

« Reply #55 on: Feb 01, 2007, 03:05 »
Basic Newtonian Physics.

Draonc

« Reply #56 on: Feb 02, 2007, 06:57 »
Thanks now I will have someting to study I hope I pass.

Offline MM1 subnuke

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #57 on: Feb 02, 2007, 03:15 »
I'm a recruiter out of houston, I am a nuke.  The test is actually not that hard.  If you are being asked ot take it then you obviously have a strong background in math and science.  You can always take it again if you fail.  Don't sweat it, the administrator, probably a nuke, will help you some.

Draonc

« Reply #58 on: Feb 02, 2007, 09:32 »
thanks for all the help  :).

jasonmv

Re: Nuke Qualifying Test
« Reply #59 on: Feb 07, 2007, 12:04 »
Wait, what NFQT test?  I only took the ASVAB in MEPS and the very next day I was pulled by a Nuke recruiter and he told me if I was interested in the NF.  I never took physics in high school (big mistake, since I love math), I only took AlgI,II, Geo, and Chem.  I got a 95 in the AFQT score (whatever that means), and the guy told me that the Navy has the hardest version of the ASVAB (is it?).  I dunno, what is this NAPT test I keep hearing about?  All I know is that the ASVAB test really tested me on my lack of knowledge in the physics aspect; I'd recommend anyone going to take it to not focus merely on it, but focus on all the areas (Math, Geom, slightly Trig, slightly Physics) and basic mechanic principles.  Good luck to you guys.
« Last Edit: Feb 07, 2007, 12:08 by jasonmv »

shayne

« Reply #60 on: Feb 07, 2007, 12:23 »
There is a Nuclear Field Qualification Test for everyone to pass to qualify for the nuclear program.  Recently there have been a few changes.

Score high on the applicable areas of the ASVAB and you qualify for the nuclear program with out taking the test.  For those that score high on the ASVAB overall, but may not score high on the applicable areas of the exam, they will have to pass the NFQT to make up the difference.

jasonmv

« Reply #61 on: Feb 07, 2007, 01:17 »
Ohhh, that explains a lot.  Looking at my asvab scores, I scored highest in the NUC section of it.  No wonder I didn't have to take another test.  Thx for the clarification.

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #62 on: Feb 07, 2007, 09:41 »
One of the parts of the exam that I looked back on with amusement later was substituting supplied values into an equation that was also supplied to derive an answer. While it is technically an algebraic exercise, many of the equations will later be drilled into you during Nuclear Power School. It won't matter if you don't know that SUR stands for Start Up Rate, much less what SUR means.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Fermi2

« Reply #63 on: Feb 07, 2007, 12:40 »
The ASVAB is the ASVAB is the ASVAB. One thing you'll learn quickly. Never believe a fellow sailor when he says something the Navy does is the "hardest" or the "best" Or when they start a story with "This is a no sh***r" Substitute the word Lie.

Mike

jasonmv

« Reply #64 on: Feb 07, 2007, 02:39 »
Umm, there ARE three distinct versions of the ASVAB, and if I'm not mistaken, only Navy has a coding portion to it (though I could be wrong).  Also, the CAT (Computerized Adaptive Testing) ASVAB means just that, it adapts based on the question you answer.  On top of that, you can't go back to change your answer, which is an on the spot deal test.  No, nothing the Navy does is "harder" than anyone else, everyone gets paid the same and the strongest link in a chain is your weakest one, etc, of course, everyone knows that, after all, we are all on the same team.  The other two versions are the MET-site ASVAB and the Student ASVAB.  Plus, it wasn't a "fellow sailor" who told me that, it was the person who administered the test in MEPS.  No, he was not Navy, he was Army (R) and the other guy was Marine (R), so I don't believe their opinion (because it was just that, an opinion) was biased.

SRBall

« Reply #65 on: Feb 17, 2007, 12:03 »
Hey--I can't remember who said it, but someone said "if you score high enough on the ASVAB you don't have to take the NFQT"-not necessarily true. You have to score high enough in the right parts of the ASVAB. I made a 93 and still had to take the NFQT. I've taken the ASVAB twice-once in high school, I made a 91 then and automatically qualified. It had just been awhile since I did math.

There's a rumor (scuttlebutt?) going around about a practice Nuke test, too, so you might ask your recruiter about that.

But I'd go get a book about basic physics for dummies or similar and do as many word problems as you can.

Good luck!

vreyes90

« Reply #66 on: Feb 17, 2007, 03:41 »
You'll do fine on the test. They will give you a calculator to work on the questions [I forgot they even gave me the calculator & finished the test early.]

Pretty much know ur units, conversion [meter/inch] & the basic physic equations [F=ma, etc]

john the leprechaun

asvab, nfqt, dlab
« Reply #67 on: Jun 02, 2008, 02:55 »
Hello everyone. I was wondering if I need to take the DLAB in order to learn arabic in the navy. I scored a 99 on the asvab, but have a GED. Also, I was wondering if I have to take the NFQT to enter the nuclear field. I have no criminal background, no tattoos, have never used illegal drugs, and am 19 years old. My recruiter said that no matter what my ASVAB score is, I still must take and pass these tests in order to qualify for the corresponding jobs. Does anyone have any information regarding this?

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #68 on: Jun 02, 2008, 04:57 »
John,
If you are going into the Nuke Field, you won't be learning Arabic. With or without DLAB. If you don't go Nuke, you will have to pass the DLAB to get any languages (as I understand it).

Your recruiter is probably right about the NFQT without a diploma. Don't worry, if you can't pass the NFQT then Nuke School would not be a good fit. But you should do fine with a good ASVAB score.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #69 on: Jun 02, 2008, 08:18 »
John,
If you are going into the Nuke Field, you won't be learning Arabic. With or without DLAB. If you don't go Nuke, you will have to pass the DLAB to get any languages (as I understand it).

Your recruiter is probably right about the NFQT without a diploma. Don't worry, if you can't pass the NFQT then Nuke School would not be a good fit. But you should do fine with a good ASVAB score.

Just to augment this. the DLAB is for CT's. They go to school to learn languages, which is something we dont do. As well, if you already KNOW arabic (first language, etc), then you take a test with a linguist to get your special pay, but its not the DLAB. The DLAB is designed to test your apptitude for learning languages swiftly.

Maziwrath

Re: asvab, nfqt, dlab
« Reply #70 on: Jun 02, 2008, 11:41 »
Hello everyone. I was wondering if I need to take the DLAB in order to learn arabic in the navy. I scored a 99 on the asvab, but have a GED. Also, I was wondering if I have to take the NFQT to enter the nuclear field. I have no criminal background, no tattoos, have never used illegal drugs, and am 19 years old. My recruiter said that no matter what my ASVAB score is, I still must take and pass these tests in order to qualify for the corresponding jobs. Does anyone have any information regarding this?

I have a GED, I scored a 99 on the asvab and they did require me to take the NFQT. Luckily I passed it without a problem as I've been to college.

fireball_748

« Reply #71 on: Sep 29, 2010, 09:41 »
hi, i was wondering if i would be able to still qaulify for Nuke. i read somewhere that your asvab score + your NAPT score has to equal 290. i didnt score high enough to qualify for nuke with the asvab, and didnt get a passing score of a 55 in the NAPT, but my scores were high enough to put me past 290. ASVAB= 247, NAPT= 49 == 296. would i be able to get in the nuke still

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #72 on: Sep 29, 2010, 10:52 »
hi, i was wondering if i would be able to still qaulify for Nuke. i read somewhere that your asvab score + your NAPT score has to equal 290. i didnt score high enough to qualify for nuke with the asvab, and didnt get a passing score of a 55 in the NAPT, but my scores were high enough to put me past 290. ASVAB= 247, NAPT= 49 == 296. would i be able to get in the nuke still

VE+AR+MK+NAPT = 290 (with minimum 50 NAPT score) or AR+MK+EI+GS+NAPT = 290 (with minimum 50 NAPT score) or VE+AR+MK+MC = 252 (No NAPT required) or AR+MK+EI+GS = 252 (No NAPT required).

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/navy/l/blasvabscores.htm

fireball_748

« Reply #73 on: Sep 29, 2010, 11:41 »
VE+AR+MK+NAPT = 290 (with minimum 50 NAPT score) or AR+MK+EI+GS+NAPT = 290 (with minimum 50 NAPT score) or VE+AR+MK+MC = 252 (No NAPT required) or AR+MK+EI+GS = 252 (No NAPT required).

man i just missed the cutoff

DSO

« Reply #74 on: Sep 29, 2010, 03:23 »
You'll do fine on the test. They will give you a calculator to work on the questions [I forgot they even gave me the calculator & finished the test early.]

Pretty much know ur units, conversion [meter/inch] & the basic physic equations [F=ma, etc]
Whoaaaa...calculator?? I used a calculator when I took the Nuke entry exam at the Houston, Texas Meps late in 1984 and was almost done when my recruiter walked in and told me I was not allowed to use a calculator on the exam. He took the exam from me (scored a 69 after he graded) and said that we are to pretend that it never took place and he would schedule me for another different Nuke entry exam (without the calculator) because they didnt want to ruin my future. I took "the exact same" exam the following week and scored a 72....lol
« Last Edit: Sep 29, 2010, 03:24 by DSO »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?