Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu NRC Rule change concerning working hours. honeypot

Author Topic: NRC Rule change concerning working hours.  (Read 55679 times)

vikingfan

Re: NRC Rule change concerning working hours.
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2007, 07:48 »
    Not sure if the changes will eventually effect all aspects of the outages or not. But with most companies barely being staffed with sufficient personel especially during a busy season like the one that just ended. I do not foresee any major changes to how its implemented. in fact during my first week at quad cities my employer had everyone sign a waiver !!

LaFeet

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2007, 04:50 »
Sounds like we are all underpaid..... especially if we are to be overworked.

I don't mind the swiping of the pen as long as the ink increases my paycheck too
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 04:51 by LaFeet »

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #27 on: Aug 14, 2007, 11:07 »
The newest "NRC report 10 CFR Part 26 Subpart 1 - Managing fatigue" has some interesting stuff in it. I just received it from a friend. It is the new "summary of waiver issuance". I can't upload the file, it may be on the NRCs website (8/3/07). Anyway, for HPs during an outage it has the new "must have 3 days off in 15 day period" rule to be waivered.  How this will affect us I'm not entirely sure. Some plants will probably just issue waivers whenever and other plants may make you work a 60 one week then a 72 the next week, I don't know. Plus I don't think it goes into effect just yet, maybe next year? Just a heads up for people concerned about losing 12 hours of $$$$ every 2 weeks. I bet some people will like this rule though. I have mixed feelings.  I'd rather get 72hours but nice to have 2 days in a row off, If I can get it!!

LaFeet

« Reply #28 on: Aug 25, 2007, 01:42 »
Three days off in a 15 day period... heck I meet that working 72s.

72s still leave you with 3 3/4 days off in a week...... work me,  feed me.... pay me well ;D

Offline grantime

• Heavy User
  • Retired Plant Health Physicist CHP, NRRPT
« Reply #29 on: Dec 07, 2007, 05:30 »
Has anyone seen a date when these changes are supposed to take effect
breath in, breath out, move on----j buffett

JohnK87

« Reply #30 on: Dec 07, 2007, 06:45 »
Jan 1, 2009.  Two outages in 2008 so the immediate impacts won't be bad, but things are going to get real tight for operators.   Ours are on a 6-shift 12-hr rotation; if you don't take any time off, you can only work 4 days OT in 6 weeks.  If you get called in for a meeting or something, that day is shot.  It's going to be real tough to get your 3 or 4 shift runs off because a guy can't work them before/after his (that would be 7 straight days). 

Should be interesting, anyway.  It will create a lot of pressure for staffing/pay increases.

Offline xobxdoc

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #31 on: Dec 07, 2007, 08:15 »
we have a similar rule here, but when they need you bad enough the sm signs a waiver to allow you to work extra hours. God forbid if you happen to exceed your hours without the waiver though.

Offline justme

• Moderate User
« Reply #32 on: Apr 19, 2009, 08:35 »
Just spoke with a friend working at Palo Verde.

They just got their INPO 1 rating back.  While the lawyers were there, they looked at the new rulings.
The utility told the contract RP techs in training that according to the lawyers, the new rules only apply to Emergency Plan personnel.  It should not affect contract personnel during an outage.

This means that there should be no changes for outages, i.e., reduction in hours.  It oly applies to those house people who are EP trained.

Just thought I'd pass this on. 
It is what it is!

Offline bdhoe

• Light User
  • Retreating is always an option...
« Reply #33 on: Apr 30, 2009, 12:21 »
Like most of operations and sometimes security..so in house will be very diffrent..
I think maybe I shouldn't have taken the blue pill after all...damn...

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #34 on: Apr 30, 2009, 01:36 »
I got an email from a general RP supervisor at an outage I've done twice and plan to go back to.  He said due to the new fatigue rules we will be alternating between a 60hr week to a 72 hr week every other week. 

M1Ark

« Reply #35 on: Apr 30, 2009, 01:50 »
Just spoke with a friend working at Palo Verde.

They just got their INPO 1 rating back. 

Column 1 rating from the NRC.  Not INPO 1.  Big, big difference.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #36 on: Apr 30, 2009, 04:43 »
I got an email from a general RP supervisor at an outage I've done twice and plan to go back to.  He said due to the new fatigue rules we will be alternating between a 60hr week to a 72 hr week every other week. 

DC Cook does a 5 on, 1 off schedule, which turns into mostly 72's with a couple 60's depending on outage length.

LaFeet

« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2010, 12:35 »
DC Cook does a 5 on, 1 off schedule, which turns into mostly 72's with a couple 60's depending on outage length.

I enjoyed the DC Cook approach.  You do not get STUCK with a Sunday off.  And the two days off every other week was a nice change.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2010, 02:55 »
Please remember that most of the people on this forum lose the same amount of OT by taking Tuesday off as they do on Sunday.  For many contractors, every hour off is an overtime hour.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline retread

• Old, fat meter reader
  • Heavy User
  • Every day above ground is a good one
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2010, 06:57 »
Please remember that most of the people on this forum lose the same amount of OT by taking Tuesday off as they do on Sunday.  For many contractors, every hour off is an overtime hour.
Excellent point Troy!!
In dwelling, be close to the land.
In meditation, go deep in the heart.
In dealing with others, be patient and kind.
In speech, be true.
In ruling, be just.
In business, be competent.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?