Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Officer vs Chief honeypot

Author Topic: Officer vs Chief  (Read 13549 times)

usa4lfe

Officer vs Chief
« on: Nov 06, 2005, 02:56 »
Going through the nuclear pipeline, I've often considered applying for STA-21 and becoming an officer but I was wondering the major differences of the two and why one would be better than the other. Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

maxxchia

Re: Officer vs Chief
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19, 2005, 12:17 »
PAY, PAY, PAY!!!

However realize that life as a nuc officer, (especially submarine JO or Department head) really blows

taterhead

« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2005, 02:33 »
Yes, the pay is a difference, but the pay difference between an junior JO (LT and below) and a Chief is negligable, considering that a chief is drawing supervosiry propay and accelarated sea pay w/kickers based on years spent on sea time.  Factor in SRB installments, and I would say that the difference is pretty slim until the O hits the LCDR level.

Officers and Chiefs are on the same team, but have different roles to play.  In baseball terms, the JO is the General Manager while the Chief is the Head Coach. 

I wouldn't care to trade. 

Shonkatoys

« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2005, 02:43 »
I say warrant officer, Get almost a Captains 06 pay when W5, with almost O headaches and responsibilities.  Same pay at retirement.

M1Ark

« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2005, 04:42 »
PAY, PAY, PAY!!!

However realize that life as a nuc officer, (especially submarine JO or Department head) really blows

If pay is the driving factor then ignore both and enter the Commercial Nuke Fleet.  Pay will be much better and you get to go home daily.

badger

« Reply #5 on: Dec 04, 2005, 09:56 »
From the prospective of a lowly EM2, it seems like the chiefs have a better lifestyle as they're not having the Reactor Officer hovering directly over them and calling them at home constantly *shudder*

I definitely envy the pay/staterooms/lack of janitorial work that the junior officers get, though.

Offline nukeET1

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2006, 11:19 »
I would have to agree with M1Ark.   If pay is what is driving you the civilian pay is much better then what you are making in the military and you get to go home every night.   I got out last year as an ET1 10 yrs and now make about 30-40% more (even with benefits included) then I did in the military.  I do not know the meaning of cleaning the bilge or not being home every night.   As far as officer v. chief  I saw the officers get run into the ground while I was at sea on a trident.... The chiefs job was hard but the officers just were abused IMO

Ex nukeET1

Rad Sponge

« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2006, 06:20 »

Officers get abused more than Chiefs for a very simple reason.

A fresh Ens, Jg, LT has a whole career ahead of them and is pretty much at the mercy of the DH who is at the mercy of the XO who is getting stomped by the CO.

From my observations a strong CMC or MC forms a cohesive goat locker of many years of experience, something the young O-club has none of.

Piss off the goat locker and the sub won't work.

Also, once a man becomes a SC or MC, there is not much a CO/XO can do to wreak havoc on their career. Unless the MC is bucking for CMC and CNO directed CMC tours, the salty Chief is pretty much untouchable.

allstarlaxman

« Reply #8 on: Aug 23, 2006, 11:18 »
You know what they say about the whole Chiefs vs Officer...

Were your parents married when you were born?

- ET3

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?