Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Trying to prepare for advancement and have no idea where to start
honeypot

Author Topic: Trying to prepare for advancement and have no idea where to start  (Read 7744 times)

SGFAL21

Im a MM3 just out of power school and got a really good eval to where it is possible to advance on this next exam, but in the infinite wisdom of the Navy, I have gotten no training on where to start to prepare for this exam.  I know alot of the people on this site are ex navy nukes, and I was wondering if someone could get me off on the right foot.  Thanks alot.
MM3

JsonD13

well, if you check the navys advancement website, youll find the bibliography for your exam.  it will be alot of stuff to look through, since the exam covers surface and sub operations, maintanance, etc.  plus you have a whole section on GMT, but the bibliography will tell you the source documents, thats the best way to prepare.

i think the website is advancement.cnet.navy.mil not quite sure though, you should be able to easily find it through bupers, NKO, NPC (www.npc.navy.mil) or maybe even through a yahoo search

taterhead

As JsonD13 stated, the Navy provides you with the bibliography, sometimes right down to the chapter.

What is more astounding is that many folks fail to take advantage of that fact.

visserjr

Graduated power school, and ready to advance to E-5? Interesting the earliest I recall was some lucky guy or 2 at prototype. Guess the times change. Best study the 3's and 2's and some BMR stuff. Good Luck.
 8)

Fermi2

It's possible. I graduated NPS late June 1984, took the E5 Exam in September and was an E5 by late November i year 5 months into my naval career.

Mike

shayne

My first E-5 Exam was at Prototype.  Study from the Bibliography for your nuclear MM rate.  It is very detailed as to what chapters and subjects to study.  I believe the bibliography is really the "references" for the exams.

M1Ark

I was at prototype working nightshift the night before my e-5 exam. (~1 year in the Navy).  Myself and three other MM3's were sent to the bunkhouse to sleep.  Instead the four of us grabbed our MM 3 & 2 book and divided the chapters and was each given 2-3 hours to be experts in our respective chapters and then gave 'training' to the other three.  We were the only ones to advance to E-5 from that prototype on that exam.  You can cram for it.  But then again that was 20 years ago and I'm not sure how the current exams are these days.  Back then with the number of STAR babies re-enlisting for E-5, it was thought to be impossible to make E-5 on your own as an MM.  We calculated at the time that with a 4.0 eval you needed to score about a 90% and with a 3.8 eval you had to darn near ace it.

SGFAL21

well I got a 3.71 with an EP out of power school and an looking for the 3 @ 2 but cant seem to find it on NKO or anywhere else.  I plan on star reenlisting but I want to earn this rank instead of being handed it like 3rd class was given to me upon completing a-school.  Maybe im weird.

Fermi2

When is  the advancement exam?

I have a copy of the MM 3 and 2 on CD. I'd be happy to burn a copy and send it to you.

Mike

JsonD13

advancement exams for e-4, 5, 6 are normally in september and march
BTW making e-5 can take a long time, you can look at the past quotas but for nuke trainees (which you are if you arent through the pipeline yet) they only make 1 or 2, maybe sometimes 3.  even if you are a fleet sailor the advancement to e-5 is poor due to the fact that so many people reenlist for it.  just dont set yourself up for disappointment

Fermi2

But it can be done if you have good evals and do well on the test. Myself and M1Ark can attest to that. My room mate at Prototype also made E5 on the September 1985 exam when we were students at A1W.

Mike

maxxchia

I strongly don't recommend re-enlisting until you have done a little sea time and sea how you like it.  When you get to prototype talk to your Leading Crew Chief (LCC) about finding the bibliography for your exam.  Prototype should have a significant amount of reference material for the in-rate stuff for your exam.  There will always be the standard stuff for mechanic rating exams such as fluid systems, bearings , chemistry, radcon, etc...

Good Luck

- Max

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?