Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu ALARA honeypot

Author Topic: ALARA  (Read 12525 times)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
ALARA
« on: Nov 23, 2005, 12:27 »
Acronym for "as low as (is) reasonably achievable." Means making every reasonable effort to maintain exposures to ionizing radiation as far below the dose limits as practical, consistent with the purpose for which the licensed activity is undertaken, taking into account the state of technology, the economics of improvements in relation to state of technology, the economics of improvements in relation to benefits to the public health and safety, and other societal and socioeconomic considerations, and in relation to utilization of nuclear energy and licensed materials in the public interest (see 10 CFR 20.1003).

ageoldtech

Re: ALARA
« Reply #1 on: Nov 23, 2005, 02:23 »
By todays industry standards 1 person Rem is worth $20,000

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #2 on: Nov 28, 2005, 08:50 »
indicates that every reasonable effort must be made to maintain exposures as far below the applicable limits as practical. 

raymcginnis

« Reply #3 on: Apr 03, 2006, 11:21 »
It also applies to a previous Nukeworker subject, "How Hot is Clean."   Our site has a site wide release limit.  We always try to go below that goal, if economically reasonable and achievable.  The economics is defined in the regulations, as Mike said.

The regulations define reasonable, the politics of your site define achievable (especially if you have dissention). The real answer is in the balance between the two.

ALARA always will mean "As low as reasonably achievable" yet, people will always argue about what is reasonable and what is achieveable.

Reasonable is the key word.  That brings in the word risk.  That is where the argument and the disagreements become fuzzy.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #4 on: Apr 04, 2006, 08:29 »
Everyone:  This 'Definitions' board is just that.  It's for definitions, explanations of definitions, and any 'encyclopedia' type information on a subject.  It is not for debates, smart remarks, or political jabs.

Offline Kernwerker

• Light User
  • Strahlenschutztechniker in der Arbeitsüberwachung
« Reply #5 on: Sep 15, 2006, 01:02 »
Acronym for "as low as (is) reasonably achievable." Means making every reasonable effort to maintain exposures to ionizing radiation as far below the dose limits as practical, consistent with the purpose for which the licensed activity is undertaken, taking into account the state of technology, the economics of improvements in relation to state of technology, the economics of improvements in relation to benefits to the public health and safety, and other societal and socioeconomic considerations, and in relation to utilization of nuclear energy and licensed materials in the public interest (see 10 CFR 20.1003).

Well here in Germany the achievable virtue is more likely to be put over the reasonable factor
I work at a place with almost 2400 MW's of pure power! At the same time governed from Berlin with 100000 MW,s of bs!

A fair fight? Thats just one where theres a 50/50 chance youll LOSE. Would you b

Offline guppy

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #6 on: Nov 02, 2008, 12:05 »
Other, lesser known meanings of ALARA:

Always let another run ahead.
As long as Rems are available.
As long as Rennhack's around.

I know there are others.
Keep honking.  I'm reloading.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #7 on: Nov 02, 2008, 10:02 »
As long as Rennhack's around.

I thought that was "As Long As Rennhack Approves".

thenuttyneutron

« Reply #8 on: Nov 03, 2008, 12:15 »
At Least A Rem Apiece

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 03, 2008, 08:00 »
I thought that was "As Long As Rennhack Approves".

I have been saying "As Long As Roger Approves" since 1978... I stole it from the RPM At Pilgrim whose name was Robin.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline Laundry Man

• Heavy User
« Reply #10 on: Nov 03, 2008, 09:05 »
Heck, I remember when I had to memorize what ALARA stood for because it was going to be on the entrance test.  Kinda dates me.
LM

Offline Shawnee Man

• Moderate User
« Reply #11 on: Nov 03, 2008, 02:42 »
As Low As Reasonably Achievable when you use Juniors for Shielding. Hard to find good shielding these days!!! 
« Last Edit: Nov 03, 2008, 02:43 by Shawnee Man »

Offline PWHoppe

• Forum Staff
  • CONFIRMED!: The dumbest man on the planet
« Reply #12 on: Nov 03, 2008, 05:40 »
As Low As Reasonably Achievable when you use Juniors for Shielding. Hard to find good shielding these days!!! 

That is the basics of ALARA

Time...Distance and Juniors..lol ;)
If a chicken and a half can lay an egg and a half in a day and a half, how many days will it take a grasshopper with a rubber foot to kick a hole in a tin can?

Forum rules..http://www.nukeworker.co

Offline nuke_girl

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #13 on: Nov 04, 2008, 04:17 »
That is the basics of ALARA

Time...Distance and Juniors..lol ;)

as a junior...lololol i resemble that remark lolol..hhahahhahahha

:)
Kath
It is better to light one small candle..than to curse the darkness

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?