Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Companies before Bartlett took over

Author Topic: Companies before Bartlett took over  (Read 8123 times)

shovelheadred

Companies before Bartlett took over
« on: Dec 08, 2005, 08:15 »
.............Does anyone besides me remember IRM, RAD Services, or ARC?.........Bartlett hasnt always been the BIG DAWG...........

halflifer

Re: Companies before Bartlett took over
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2005, 09:39 »
Yep, I worked for all of them, plus NSS, DNI, CE/PSESI and a few others. A lot of us bitch about The Big Blue B, but I can't think of any of the old companies that treated me as well, as consistantly as Bartlett.

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2005, 10:07 »
Yep, I do. My dad started out with I.R.M and was a site coord at a couple of sites back in the 1970's. He also worked for Chem Nuclear when they used to have techs on the road. Henry started with I.R.M. back in 1981 at Turkey Pt, we loaded up and left S.C. for less than $5 per hour, don't remember the per diem, but I do remember it was 72 hours per week for 6 weeks then a week off.

I also remember Mr. Leonard (I think Bobby) jumping in the pool at the start of the outage party.

Maybe I'm wrong, and I like Bartlett and the people I know there, but it seems like we were more of a family back then, probably because the jobs were longer and we were away from home a lot. I know we hosted many a dinner, bbq or Holiday celebration at our house, boy those were the days...

Hey if anyone out in tech land is away from home, the door is always open, just email us here in S.C. and we'll give you directions.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2005, 09:58 »
We should put together a brief history of the nuclear buisness.  I know from talking to a lot of Rad Safety people that that portion of the buisness is ripe with stories.  If we could at least get dates, and who bought who, and who were main players with each company.  I think that would be a valuable article to preserve some of history.

Offline Phurst

• NRRPT-HPT
  • Very Heavy User
  • One in a row!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2005, 03:01 »
I started with Numanco in '79. The first person I met? Bubba Joe Whorley. What a start! When Chuck Pierce ran the company it was a gas! It was all run and gun. Chuck would send private planes to pick up wayward techs to get them to a job site. He was one of a kind and I will never forget him. Next company was Rad Services in 1980. I wanted to go to Oconee so I had to work for them. They gave me a per diem check when I got to my first site, Beaver. I went to cash it and the bank wouldn't....insufficient funds. That gave me pause. As it turned out, Rad rolled its account every Tuesday and I had caught them in a rollover. Those days were the good old days. We will never see them again. A part of me says, Thank God!.
Today is the best day of my life! HSIITBS!

'For the quality of owning freezes you forever into "I" and cuts you off forever from the "we". - Steinbeck

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #5 on: Dec 11, 2005, 09:29 »
rad services, numanco, allied nuclear, c-e, applied health physics....that brings the list into 1980.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

shovelheadred

« Reply #6 on: Dec 12, 2005, 06:50 »
.How about Sasser..anybody with  Jake at "the Ferry"?...

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 13, 2005, 08:57 »
Hittman Nuclear in 1974, NUS in 75, Rad Services in 76 (Ray Brooks meeting us at the airport, buying drinks and handing out perdiem checks) , Numanco in 78 -- Phurst is right, Charlie knew how to take care of his people... worked for him for 5 years and he always made time to talk to me even after he hired a flock of secretaries to keep the masses at bay. I will always miss the big man. NSS (Nuclear Startup Services) in 83, IRM in 87 (but knew Bobby and Gary long before that since we were all from Annapolis), PSESI in 87 too, NSS (Nuclear Support Services) in 88, PSESI again, Bartlett in 90, BG&E (Constellation) for a long time and back to Bartlett in 2002. What a long, strange trip it's been. I miss the old days of the Wild, Wild West. We truly made it up as we went along back in the mid 70s, but somehow it always seemed to go better than now.
« Last Edit: Mar 08, 2006, 12:36 by RDTroja »
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #8 on: Dec 14, 2005, 02:19 »
.How about Sasser..anybody with  Jake at "the Ferry"?...

I grew up around Jake and Billy Orr down in Ocala Florida a long time ago, seems like only yesterday. Wow.

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Safety/Chemist/Health Physicist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!
« Reply #9 on: Apr 11, 2006, 07:17 »
IRM, Dad Services,NSS,ARC,Chem Nuclear,CE,PSESI,Numanco,Hydro Nuclear,Allied,P&I Consulting,Hilbert & Associates, Solutient Technology, Day & Zimmermann, the list goes on and on....
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

stownsend

« Reply #10 on: Apr 11, 2006, 01:05 »
What about ATBI. Glad I only met them once.

Chimera

« Reply #11 on: Nov 12, 2006, 10:07 »
My first company was ANEFCO (at Maine Yankee in '74).  After Charlie started NUMANCO, I worked for him for years.  And, yeah, I agree that we were more like a family back then.  We pretty much traveled together to the same plants.  I also have to add ATBI (Applied Technoligies of Barnwell, Inc.) whom I worked for several times, Fayva Controls, Combustion Engineering, the new NUMANCO/Octagon, DNI (post-Worley) and all the others.  I guess it's been a heck of ride over the past 30+ years.

Offline Carolina Jethro

• Safety Manager
  • Heavy User
  • Why not us?
« Reply #12 on: Nov 12, 2006, 08:24 »
What about ATBI. Glad I only met them once.
I worked for them once also... ANO in 88. Met one of the owners at SRS recently... Smith... can't think of the first name. Anyway he has another company now that does x rays on drums to identify forbidden material before they are shipped to New Mexico.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #13 on: Nov 13, 2006, 08:02 »
rad services, numanco, allied nuclear, c-e, applied health physics....that brings the list into 1980.

den der wuz hpts/gts, allied techology group which brings da list into da 90s.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Safety/Chemist/Health Physicist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 21, 2006, 11:58 »
What ever happened to Hydro Nuclear after Westinghouse bought them?
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

Atomic_Punk

« Reply #15 on: Dec 21, 2006, 01:16 »
What ever happened to Hydro Nuclear after Westinghouse bought them?

They became part of Westinghouse RS (integrated outage packages) and later vaporized.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #16 on: Dec 21, 2006, 03:05 »
They became part of Westinghouse RS (integrated outage packages) and later vaporized.
WRS sold the Decon group to "Liberty" for about a week, then to Numanco.

Atomic_Punk

« Reply #17 on: Dec 21, 2006, 03:51 »
WRS sold the Decon group to "Liberty" for about a week, then to Numanco.
Isn't that close to the same as "vaporize"?  ;^)
« Last Edit: Dec 21, 2006, 03:55 by Colonel Angus »

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
  • This aggression will not stand, man.
« Reply #18 on: Jan 10, 2007, 11:38 »
I haven't been around as long as many of you.  Started in Jan. 1990.  My first contract job was in 92 at VOGTLE with ARC.  After that I have been with only Bartlett as far as nuke work goes.
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

nukewood

« Reply #19 on: Jan 11, 2007, 08:19 »
How many Vikemites are still in the business?

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?