Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Argonne National Laboratory (ANL) honeypot

Author Topic: Argonne National Laboratory (ANL)  (Read 7591 times)

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
Argonne National Laboratory (ANL)
« on: Aug 16, 2006, 12:19 »
Can anyone tell me anything about this DOE site?  Or the immediate area (Argonne, IL)?

Thanks!  :)
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #1 on: Aug 17, 2006, 10:00 »
The following info was PM'd to me...thought I'd make it available to the whole group in case anyone else was headed that way...

"...It's about the outer rim of what is considered the suburbs of Chicago.  Anywhere northeast of town is real old-style city burbs, and as you get further out, it becomes towns seperated by farmland (avoid Joliet at all costs).  A bit south are Braidwood and Morris (Dresden)..."

We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline rocknrollrick

• Moderate User
  • PAYING THE COST TO BE THE BOSS!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: Sep 11, 2006, 02:50 »
Yes I can tell you a little about the site was there in 1994 in one of the shut down test reactors. The site is self contained with a gas station, post office and dorms rooms on site that we stayed in. It used to be a hunting lodge and there are white european deer all over the site. It's 12 miles from downtown on Stephenson frwy. They also had a bar on site that operated from 4-8 every day for the workers. :o
Early to bed, 13 hours on nights, makes you tired, wealthy and a night crawler!!!!

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #3 on: Sep 11, 2006, 03:52 »
Yes I can tell you a little about the site was there in 1994 in one of the shut down test reactors. The site is self contained with a gas station, post office and dorms rooms on site that we stayed in. It used to be a hunting lodge and there are white european deer all over the site. It's 12 miles from downtown on Stephenson frwy. They also had a bar on site that operated from 4-8 every day for the workers. :o

Are you talking about Los Alamos? Argonne is near Chicago.

http://www.anl.gov/

The article on quantum computing is interessting.
« Last Edit: Sep 11, 2006, 03:55 by Marlin »

Offline PWHoppe

• Forum Staff
  • CONFIRMED!: The dumbest man on the planet
« Reply #4 on: Sep 11, 2006, 11:08 »
No...He's talking about Argonne. The Stephenson Expressway is in Chicago, and they have white deer there. They were brought in from Europe, get killed every year jumpiing over the fences, onto the roadways :o

Still have a bar as far as I know ::)

And they have not dismanteled all of the test reactors that are there ;)
If a chicken and a half can lay an egg and a half in a day and a half, how many days will it take a grasshopper with a rubber foot to kick a hole in a tin can?

Forum rules..http://www.nukeworker.co

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #5 on: Sep 12, 2006, 08:52 »
Why would Argonne have these facilities? They are not that isolated. I see my tax dollars floating away. Idaho just had busses and lots and lots of rabbits (leading to the bunny bashes), and we had a one hour and half hour ride to work...one way.

Offline DecommMan

• Leave the Decommissioning to us.
  • Moderate User
Re: Argonne National Laboratory (ANL)
« Reply #6 on: Dec 03, 2014, 01:51 »
On site Hospitality (ie the Bar) is available one night a week - Thursdays at Building 617.  Like 430-800 served by on-site food services vendor.

We are down to 3 white deer I am told - all females.  Management issue with white tail deer and white deer - hard to control their numbers.  So the herd was thinned a number of years ago now.

The old post office & service station are closed.  All the reactors have been dismantled and shipped off site as waste.

I-55 (the Stevenson) runs from down south to and through Joliet NE to the heart of downtown Chicago - Lake Shore Drive at Soldier Field.
« Last Edit: Dec 03, 2014, 01:54 by DecommMan »
Decomm Man

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?