ANL

Above Average
1 (16.7%)
Average
3 (50%)
Below Average
2 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: Argonne National Laboratory (ANL) Lodging  (Read 29079 times)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Argonne National Laboratory (ANL) Lodging
« on: Dec 12, 2005, 10:53 »
If anyone has lodging information for this facility, please post it here.
« Last Edit: Dec 07, 2007, 10:59 by Camella Black »

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
Argonne National Laboratory (ANL)
« Reply #1 on: Sep 13, 2006, 08:59 »
Guess I'll be spending a lot of time here (Argonne, Illinois) for the next few years, so:

1.  Anything fun (besides the cool walking trails) to do after work?

2.  Anything GREAT I shouldn't miss in Chicago?

3.  Anyplace worth driving to on the weekends?  (I'm from the West, so don't mind driving SEVERAL hours...)

Thanks!
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
Argonne National Laboratory (ANL)
« Reply #2 on: Sep 13, 2006, 09:13 »
I know they have the 'Guest House' on site (about $65/night)...and I found an Extended Stay right outside the West Gate for $59/night.

Now I need to know if there are any decent apartments within walking distance.  I will be in the 300 area, so West Gate is handiest, but anything within a mile radius would work.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: Sep 13, 2006, 09:16 by UncaBuffalo »
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
Re: Argonne National Laboratory (ANL)
« Reply #3 on: Sep 13, 2006, 01:11 »
Just had this info sent to me:

Things that are fun:

Rush street-tons of bars, lots of night life.  Don’t stray too far off the beaten path, some the neighborhoods around there are pretty scary

Museum of Science and Industry and the Field Museum are GREAT.  I haven’t been there in years but always enjoyed it as a kid

Buckingham fountain-it may be done for the year but they used to have a really fun light/music/fountain show each night

Ride the EL

LOTS of Blues Bars, they even have a Blues fest but I can’t remember when it is

Go to the top of the Sears tower, it is particularly fun when it is really windy and you can feel the building sway

Navy Pier-permanent carnival type thing

Concerts all the time

There are lots of forest preserves and green spaces all over the place to hike 
« Last Edit: Aug 25, 2009, 12:11 by UncaBuffalo »

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #4 on: Oct 03, 2006, 10:05 »
Chicago Botanic Garden

and

Wilmette Baha'i Temple
« Last Edit: Oct 03, 2006, 10:10 by UncaBuffalo »

Gonzo

« Reply #5 on: Oct 03, 2006, 12:05 »
Guess I'll be spending a lot of time here (Argonne, Illinois) for the next few years, so:

1.  Anything fun (besides the cool walking trails) to do after work?

2.  Anything GREAT I shouldn't miss in Chicago?

3.  Anyplace worth driving to on the weekends?  (I'm from the West, so don't mind driving SEVERAL hours...)

Thanks!

You're not that far from Port Elgin, Ontario...   small town not too different from rainier...   local pub is Jangles ....   if you go, get me a port elgin teeshirt (mine is almost worn out)

Offline Phurst

• NRRPT-HPT
  • Very Heavy User
  • One in a row!
« Reply #6 on: Oct 03, 2006, 02:25 »
Pizza

South to Ontario, IL,, a cool little town, and Starved Rock State park.
Today is the best day of my life! HSIITBS!

'For the quality of owning freezes you forever into "I" and cuts you off forever from the "we". - Steinbeck

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #7 on: Oct 05, 2006, 10:07 »
I know they have the 'Guest House' on site (about $65/night)...

Found out they also have some one-bedroom cottages (about $51/night) and rooms by the old Freund Lodge (about $39/night).  They indicated they would work out a monthly rate for anyone who wanted one...

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #8 on: Oct 20, 2006, 02:35 »
Broosters (for Great Chicken and Porkchops)

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
Re: Argonne National Labs (ANL)
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2007, 01:01 »
The site is self contained with a gas station, post office and dorms rooms on site that we stayed in.

The gas station and post office have been shut down now.  :/

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2007, 07:25 »
Still have a bar as far as I know ::)

Bar still here, but only open one night a week currently - might be seasonal - not a lot of guests staying on-site right now...

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #11 on: Feb 16, 2007, 10:36 »
The following info was PM'd to me...thought I'd make it available to the whole group in case anyone else was headed that way...

"...It's about the outer rim of what is considered the suburbs of Chicago.  Anywhere northeast of town is real old-style city burbs, and as you get further out, it becomes towns seperated by farmland (avoid Joliet at all costs).  A bit south are Braidwood and Morris (Dresden)..."

This has changed over time...now everything for miles around has been turned into subdivisions & strip malls...generic 'American-Dream' territory.

Offline guppy

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #12 on: Apr 18, 2007, 09:27 »
Does anyone have a house or room that they would like to rent?  I'll be working there for 18 months.  Thanks.
Keep honking.  I'm reloading.

Offline Jason9x

• Light User
Re: Argonne National Laboratory (ANL) Lodging
« Reply #13 on: Jan 10, 2014, 12:05 »
Any particular areas one should stay away from when choosing an area to live there?
Jason

Offline DecommMan

• Leave the Decommissioning to us.
  • Moderate User
« Reply #14 on: Dec 03, 2014, 01:46 »
East side of Joliet.
Decomm Man

Offline Laundry Man

• Heavy User
« Reply #15 on: Jan 07, 2016, 08:57 »
He wasn't kidding about the east side of Joilet.
LM

moochiebubble

« Reply #16 on: Jan 22, 2016, 10:49 »
Good morning , could I trouble someone for some current info on where to stay at Argonne ??  Thank you for your time.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #17 on: Jan 22, 2016, 11:15 »
I stayed at the Extended Stay America.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?