Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu ELT school after a sea command?

Author Topic: ELT school after a sea command?  (Read 19430 times)

Rad Sponge

Re: ELT school after a sea command?
« Reply #25 on: Feb 26, 2006, 05:29 »
Mechanic stuff is overrated unless you plan on staying in and going for MMC.

Focus on what you love. I have always liked chemistry, so that is where I focused my attention.

ELT is not a collateral duty if you adhere to all the requirements. The whole "collateral duty" comment is normally uttered by:

1. Jealous mechanics
2. Chiefs that have f'd up MMs
3. ELTs trying to suck up to the LPO/LCPO

Fermi2

« Reply #26 on: Feb 26, 2006, 05:40 »
I adhered to all the requirements and yes it was a collateral duty.

I was a damn good ELT and a damn good mechanic too.

Mike

visserjr

« Reply #27 on: Feb 26, 2006, 06:06 »
JMK,

Or by a Crusty 30 year Master Chief Bull Nuke who was an ELT.

Rad Sponge

« Reply #28 on: Feb 27, 2006, 07:24 »
Let me amplify my views on being an ELT.

Its a very situation driven description of whether an ELT is an MM first or an ELT first.

For those of you lucky enough to have a fat division full of experienced ELTs, then the oppurtunity was probably there to gain more MM experience and do something mechanical other than stand ERF.

For those of you that had a division full of juniors and could not turn your back for a moment, then you might think ELT was a full time gig.

On my boat we were short an ELT and the command would not even consider qualifying an MM to be a Sec Chemist, so basically the ELTs were stuck in ERF. Our first LELT had his head stuck up the commands ass trying to make MMC and playing EDTA so he was useless, so basically the bulk of the divisional workload came down on one or two of us.

So basically I immersed myself in chem/radcon and didn't look back. Was I one of the guys in the eyes of M-div? Hell no, but could they audit any of my programs or support my schedule in any way? Could m-div back me up? Nope, hell it was pulling teeth just to get one m-divver to properly do a turbidity or work in a containment properly.

I have nothing against M-div, I really tried to gain more M-div experience, but my situation did not allow me to shift or expand my focus without something chem/radcon biting me in the ass.

In retrospect it set me up to be a Plant Chemistry Tech and a Health Physicist, and that's fine by me.

visserjr

« Reply #29 on: Feb 27, 2006, 10:17 »
jmk,
 You are absolutely right. It is very situation driven. You were the elt people loved. I was refering to the ELT's that didn't work for anyone, and used elt as an excuse to get out of anything. I certainly meant no offense. Truth be told, I jusy had MAJOR knee surgery, and am on morphine slow release 2 times a day a vicodin in between. So, that being said, my appologies,

John

Rad Sponge

« Reply #30 on: Feb 28, 2006, 04:16 »
Its all good.

Good luck with the recovery.

I wish the ELT would be a rating and drop manning down to 2-3/boat.

Then an ELT could just be an ELT and there wouldn't be a problem.

Regardless of the debate, we can agree that ROs are smoothies.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #31 on: Feb 28, 2006, 06:02 »
 ;D You are still a SMAG

visserjr

« Reply #32 on: Feb 28, 2006, 12:30 »
Yes RO's are still the panty wearers  in the Engine room. 8)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?