Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu MM3 Getting Seperated cuz of PRT
honeypot

Author Topic: MM3 Getting Seperated cuz of PRT  (Read 13342 times)

dragadune

MM3 Getting Seperated cuz of PRT
« on: Jan 09, 2006, 08:10 »
I will have over 3 yrs in the navy but i will be getting a admin seperation because of being overweight. I went to welding school and have qualified ERS. Have gone to EPA and MTO school. What is the chance of me getting a job working in a civilian power plant even though i could not finish my 6 yrs?

Rad Sponge

Re: MM3 Getting Seperated cuz of PRT
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2006, 09:40 »
1. It is going to start with the character of your discharge specifically the RE code on your DD-214. If it is characterized as honorable, that is a good start.

2. Congrats on all those schools and quals. That will help, it demonstrates you are a hard charger.

3. Get your butt to college, some sort of online program or at your local community college while you search for a job.

4. Lose some weight. There are plenty of fat asses out there in civvy land, but you want to be able to present your smiling face first, not a big gut. Once you get the job and get some experience, you can become a fat body again.

This is all my opinion, however it wouldn't hurt to shrink yourself down to the point where you could convince a company you just couldn't fit the navy mold, no matter how hard you tried. Many civ nukes are ex-Navy and understand how the Navy has been tweaking the PRT standards year after year.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2006, 08:46 »
Not to put to fine a point on it, but the answer to your original question is that your chances are very good.
Though you have fewer years experience, you are qualified.  That is what civilian employers want to see.  The most important page of your service record is NOT your D-214 (even though you will need it).  THe more important page is the one where your command lists your qualifications.
I don't want to go into detail here at the moment, but I can tell you from personal experience that there is a LOT more to your military history thatn your DD-214 and your re-enlistment code.
But, do your best to lose the weight.  Perhaps the Navy's plan was not one that could work for you.  Maybe a civilian MD can give you a better diet/exercise plan.  You'll be healthier and happier, not to mention the fact that employers are getting strict about the health of their employees.  They are making a major investment in training you and employing you.  They are also trying to keep the cost of their group health insurance as low as possible.  That is why many companies ban smoking and provide workout facilities.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline rumrunner

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2006, 01:39 »
I screen resumes and help in the interview process for potential employees at my plant, and frankly it doesn't make much difference if you have 3, or 6, or 20 years of Navy nuclear time.  The fact that you got through all the schooling and qualified is what counts the most.  The interview is the key.  A good resume will get you an interview, but I have seen people with many years of experience blow it, and I have seen people with limited experience impress the hell out of us at the interview - and get the job.
Dave

Fermi2

« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2006, 02:57 »
I screen resumes and help in the interview process for potential employees at my plant, and frankly it doesn't make much difference if you have 3, or 6, or 20 years of Navy nuclear time.  The fact that you got through all the schooling and qualified is what counts the most.  The interview is the key.  A good resume will get you an interview, but I have seen people with many years of experience blow it, and I have seen people with limited experience impress the hell out of us at the interview - and get the job.

I'm curious, with all the E 5 and E 6 types coming out of the Navy would this guy even click on your radar?

My shift did the hiring at Fermi, we'd usually get around 200 resumes for Non Licensed Position, and unless this guy has more than he posted here his resume would have been thrown away as one of the first group screened out.

I'm not knocking him or anything, I'm just being realistic.

Mike

Rad Sponge

« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2006, 08:53 »
I think what can be agreed on here is that:

1. He had enough brains to get through all the classroom stuff
2. He had enough brains to qualify senior in rate quickly
3. He had the desire and ability to make it through extra schools (welding, refrig, machinist? Pretty f-in useful schools)
4. He has the aptitude for nuclear power

That being said, all HR teams and interview teams are different and want different things out of their candidates. You (Broad) may have had a stricter standard and tossed his resume into the circular file.

However, you do not speak for all companies, and neither does rumrunner, but I have to say his chances are better than average to get employed.

It goes back to my orginal reply stating for him to get his butt in school while he looks for work, however his current qualifications make him a good candidate for AO/NLO jobs. Like stated previously, the interview is key, but that also goes back to my post stating losing weight is a must so he can make a good impression face to face.

Fermi2

« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2006, 10:47 »
Nah don't get me wrong. I'm not saying he isn't qualified.

I doubt my standards were that much higher than most other utilities. You get hundreds of resumes, many from good people with more experience.

I know in many companies all HR does is make the arrangements to get the people in, and screen out those who clearly don't qualify. Usually someone at the plant does the rest.

At Fermi my Control Room Supervisor had all resumes fowarded to him then we'd decide.

His qualifications do make him a very good candidate, I'm only saying there are those who have more experience who are better candidates and in many places his resume wouldn't get his foot into the door.

If he gets an interview he'd probably do ok. He's obviously open and good at introspection.

Mike

shayne

« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2006, 02:43 »
I never did apply for a job or submit my resume to DTE for NLO job at Fermi.  So during the interviews I was curious how they found me and HR told me that my resume was screened off the internet for 'Navy Nuclear' and 'Watch Supervisor'.

Fermi2

« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2006, 04:00 »
Shayne did you ever ask Mike P? All I know is yours was one of the resumes we screened.

Mike

dragadune

« Reply #9 on: Mar 01, 2006, 06:59 »
Thanks for all the great information. But another question i have is once i get my resume together who do i need to start talking to about getting applications and finding out were there are jobs? And what will make me more of a better candiate when it comes to jobs. I dont care if i work in a nuke power plant or something else i just like being a mechanic and dont mind the job. And what kind of jobs should i be aplying for

Rad Sponge

« Reply #10 on: Mar 01, 2006, 10:38 »
All major energy companies have Career/Jobs sections on their websites where you can create or submit resumes directly and apply for specific jobs.

As far as what makes you a better candidate...

1. Step 1 is getting invited to an interview. That hinges on your resume. Your resume should reflect professionalism, attention to detail, organizational skills, and conciseness. For your level of experience 1-2 pages is adequate. You will learn the finer points of resume building during TAP.

2. Step 2 is how you represent yourself on the phone. Eventually HR people will call you and how you come across verbally is very important. The old saying is that a person can hear a smile over the phone. Very true. You may have phone interviews with your perspective peers and superiors before being asked for a site visit. Again, be prepared with notes, answers to typical interview questions, and your own questions. Be prepared to engage your interviewers. I have developed a knack for turning an interview into me interviewing them. People love to talk about themselves and their jobs. Engage them.

3. Step 3 is the face time. Buy a suit and have it tailored for you. People in suits are treated better than those dressed casually. Like you I am a big guy and can not buy a suit off the rack at your local outlet. I had one made and tailored to fit my frame. Buy a suit that matches a variety of colored shirts. I prefer olive. I also like the cut of Brookes Brothers dress shirts. Get nice pair of leather shoes with a heel. A heel gives you a more professional posture. Don't skimp on the clothes or the shoes. A quality suit of clothes will last. Shine your shoes too. The first thing most men notice about other men are their shoes. You will be sized up bottom to top as you approach your interviewers. I like Kenneth Cole Reaction dress shoes.

Again, conduct yourself professionally comfortable, meaning...own your space. That can only come through being thoroughly prepared: Research, Questions, Answers, hard copies of your resume printed on quality bonded paper, and your outward appearance. Simple right?

It is if you start preparing now.

4. Now on to the jobs. This is open for debate, but nuclear power aint goin away any time soon. The future of energy is not without nuclear power, therefore I would stick to what you know. There are no shortages of Operator Jobs out there for nukes. The money is the best in the energy industry for new hires. You will make 50K plus from the get go in many places and the oppurtunity is there to go into the high 5 low six figure range with OT and if you pursue licensing.

5. Don't forget college. It may not be a requirement to be an NLO/AO, but it wouldn't hurt to get a degree.

Good luck. ;)

M1Ark

« Reply #11 on: Mar 02, 2006, 03:30 »
JMK, thats a lot of detail on clothes for a straight guy. ;D

Rad Sponge

« Reply #12 on: Mar 02, 2006, 03:48 »
What can I say?

I am a snappy dresser when I shave my beard, take off my hiking shoes, and shower the beagle smell off me.

I could probably do my on show, titled Straight Eye for the Straight guy, but without a lisp, effeminate posturing, and a desdain for the female form, I am relagated to giving clothing and communication advice here.

:-\

visserjr

« Reply #13 on: Mar 02, 2006, 01:03 »
Dragadune,
 Have ever thought about using a head hunter? I am not saying it is the only or best way to go, but there is a bzillion head hunters out there who work free to you, to help find you a job. That being said, get a resume together, and post it everywhere. Make sure it highlights your nuke training, your ers quals, and other srengths. There are plenty of employers out there just looking for anyone who passed prototype and power school. Once you put together a great resume and post it at Monster etc...you will be suprised at the responses you get.
John

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
headhunters
« Reply #14 on: Mar 02, 2006, 07:30 »
they are how I got my first two jobs (chem tech, operator).  I see nothing wrong with using them.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?