Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Pay rates

Author Topic: Pay rates  (Read 131241 times)

atomicarcheologist

Re: Pay rates
« Reply #50 on: Feb 15, 2008, 06:26 »
You can expect $22-$25 hour,$80 -$100 per diem a day, $1-$3 an hour in bonus's.

There are a few exceptions as a contract tech ,bonus's at  dc cook are $3000-$3500 ,diem at ip2 and pilgram are around $135 a day.Fermi,millstone,and i think fitz may have given some good bouns's in the past can't say now.
Duke power pays the lowest in the country!
I thought slave wages in the south had been abolished ,but I guess not in the DUKE SYSTEM!
Florida plants, dc cook,wolf creek,clinton,and of course diablo pay the best hourly wages.

Good luck with that whole contract hp thing.

Are these numbers still good or has wages gone up in the last while?  Are Sr. HP techs at $22-25/hour for contract work?

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #51 on: Feb 16, 2008, 12:58 »
Are these numbers still good or has wages gone up in the last while?  Are Sr. HP techs at $22-25/hour for contract work?

Change much in 6 months?  Those numbers are good numbers.  Some jobs pay up to $31/hr for techs plus diem.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #52 on: Feb 16, 2008, 01:39 »
from what I've seen and heard the pay range is 20 to 31 for bartlett jobs, excluding bonuses.  Diablo is much higher, but only because bartlett doesn't get their cut there.  Clinton is the highest bartlett job at 31ish because of the union I believe.  There are a couple of high paying jobs out there in the high 20s per hour but end up being in the low 30s because of a nice bonus.  Most jobs are right around 22 to 26 an hour not including a small bonus.  Bartlett diem averages about 100 bucks a day with a range of 85 to 155.  IP pays 155 per day.  Southern plants like the Duke system are lowest usually at 20/85.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #53 on: Feb 16, 2008, 09:45 »
Diablo is much higher, but only because bartlett doesn't get their cut there.

That's a good point. 

Diablo doesn't end up spending any more for RP techs than they would if they went thru a contract company...but, because they pass the middle-man's cut on to the employee, they are able to buy the undying loyalty of 'their' road-techs.

I think more utilities would choose direct-hire if they would benchmark Diablo and see all the benefits of an extremely happy workgroup.

And, to bring this back on topic, 'much higher' is in the  $36 to $41/hour range...  :)
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

vikingfan

« Reply #54 on: Feb 16, 2008, 09:49 »
what about pay for refuelers, mco's, IVVI techs, etc, etc and other postions ?? besides just hp's

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #55 on: Feb 16, 2008, 10:02 »
what about pay for refuelers, mco's, IVVI techs, etc, etc and other postions ?? besides just hp's

At Diablo, we all come in union and are within a few dollars of each other...
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline fueldryer

• Heavy User
  • Call Before You Dig !
« Reply #56 on: Feb 16, 2008, 10:40 »
I'm a Refueler,MCO, shift supervisor and the money is pretty damn good.And my rate stays the same no matter what site or state I'm at.The only thing that changes is the PD,usually goes up depending on the area.Or I just go on expenses if the Hotel/Motel rates are to high.Why stay in a shithole.
Call Before You Dig!

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
  • This aggression will not stand, man.
« Reply #57 on: Feb 16, 2008, 01:35 »
I wonder if a person could buy a house & live there, grossing $1600/week when they get maxed out??? ::)

Well...If you have a couple hundred thousand as a downpayment and don't mind having a $2500 - $3500/month payment, I am sure you can get yourself into a "starter" home.

I am staying in Los Osos, CA in a 1300 sq ft house (vacation rental) that is worth somewhere around $1 million (probably due to the view). There is a Sh*t box of a house down the street from me that is in serious dis-repair, has no view and is going for $475K.

I have also seen some little homes in downtown SLO for the low to mid $200's.

So no...$40/hour isn't going to let you buy anything decent close to the plant without a substantial down payment. Way over priced here, California is a "special" place that is very proud of their realestate. Great place to visit though.
« Last Edit: Feb 17, 2008, 12:00 by Brett LaVigne »
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

vikingfan

« Reply #58 on: Feb 16, 2008, 06:48 »
as a refuel floor tech ( IVVI)/ reactor internal mods. my pay rate is pretty nice an stays the same no matter what site and our per diem is the same at every site also, plus they just raised our diem rate too :):):)
« Last Edit: Feb 16, 2008, 07:03 by vikingfan »

Offline desertdog

• Moderate User
« Reply #59 on: Feb 16, 2008, 08:54 »

Duke power pays the lowest in the country!

NOT!

Duke may have the lowest overall numbers but if you factor in the obscenely high cost of living in So Cal,  SONGS definitely is the lowest paying outage.  $23/hour for >7year senior RP with $100/day pd.
57.5 hours paid on an average outage week. 

I never worked Duke as they were always the lowest paying. Now I find that I have worked for worse pay.  I am doing everything to reroute my outage/work schedule to avoid making that mistake again.

B.PRESGROVE

« Reply #60 on: Feb 16, 2008, 10:32 »
Dont know if anyone has posted this yet but the pay for DOE facilities usually starts low but over time gets to be pretty good.  You have to give it about 3 to 5 years but the usual top out for house pukes is about 25/hr and for rent-a-techs about 27/hr + perd.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #61 on: Feb 16, 2008, 10:55 »
Dont know if anyone has posted this yet but the pay for DOE facilities usually starts low but over time gets to be pretty good.  You have to give it about 3 to 5 years but the usual top out for house pukes is about 25/hr and for rent-a-techs about 27/hr + perd.

This is true, BossLady is a house tech at Y-12 here in Oakridge.

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
  • This aggression will not stand, man.
« Reply #62 on: Feb 17, 2008, 12:02 »
as a refuel floor tech ( IVVI)/ reactor internal mods. my pay rate is pretty nice an stays the same no matter what site and our per diem is the same at every site also, plus they just raised our diem rate too :):):)

Wow, consitant pay and per diem from site to site...what a concept!!! How do I sign up for this job???
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

HAIRDUDE

« Reply #63 on: Feb 23, 2008, 03:31 »
EEEk ... $25/hr for house techs? Not around here. House seniors here at PI make a LOT more than that. Hhhhmmmmm ... maybe we have it better than I thought up here in the frozen north  :)

B.PRESGROVE

« Reply #64 on: Feb 23, 2008, 05:08 »
Cost of living my friend, cost of living. :)

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #65 on: Feb 24, 2008, 02:22 »
EEEk ... $25/hr for house techs? Not around here. House seniors here at PI make a LOT more than that. Hhhhmmmmm ... maybe we have it better than I thought up here in the frozen north  :)

yassir yinz due.  plus yinz ain't gotta moe grass all yeer long.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Scamp_Walker

« Reply #66 on: Mar 01, 2008, 08:15 »
As a 23 Year + expierenced project manager, I am currently on a 3 year project making $140.00 per hour for a 50 hour week.  I don't get OT pay and my per diem stops after the first year.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #67 on: Mar 01, 2008, 09:39 »
I don't get OT pay and my per diem stops after the first year.

gee...bummer...  ;)

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #68 on: Mar 01, 2008, 10:29 »
As a 23 Year + expierenced project manager, I am currently on a 3 year project making $140.00 per hour for a 50 hour week.  I don't get OT pay and my per diem stops after the first year.

If it was a 3 year project, you should never have gotten per diem in the first place.  Actually, you can get it but you have to pay taxes on it.  http://www.irs.gov/publications/p463/ch01.html#d0e542

That 140 looks good.  My radcon math tells me you'll be pulling a million out of this deal.  If you can live in your car and eat out of the dumpster for 3 years, you will be a millionaire.  Enjoy!
« Last Edit: Mar 01, 2008, 10:32 by BeerCourt »
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Fermi2

« Reply #69 on: Mar 01, 2008, 10:45 »
I have a question for you RP types.

Can you negotiate a pay rate on an individual basis?

For example, if you're a Senior HP and you're interested in going to an outage at a plant can you call Bartlett or whoever and say here are my qualifications, I'd like to do this outage for such and such?

Or say it's a guy like me, I'm a former ELT and passed the NRRPT.

Or is it simply a matter of this is the rate for this outage for this company, take it or leave it.

Mike

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #70 on: Mar 01, 2008, 11:02 »
It depends on the contract, but there are varying rates based on "qualifications".  Negotiating, per se, is not part of the package, but it may be done by "reclassifying" a tech.

Example:  I worked at Beaver Valley in 2001.  There was a chart of pay rates that looked like a tax table.  I was a Sr. HP, NRRPT, non-returnee.  I was paid $19.76/hr.
Two years later at SONGS, I was paid $21.00 for being a non-returnee with >7yrs as a Sr. HP.  The next year, I got $22.50.

I put "qualifications" in quotes, because they use arbitrary things like the >7yrs or being a returnee.  Even the term "returnee" can mean many things.  sometimes it means that you worked that site within two outage cycles; other times it means the you worked in that system.

If they really want you to go to an outage, but the money isn't enough, they can sometimes get you in as a lead tech. or as an ALARA tech.  ALARA is the big cookie of the HP business.  It is the way they can pay an HP tech (with no more education or qualifications than any other ANSI 3.1 tech) an extra $5 to $10 an hour by giving him a desk and making him hang lead for the outage.  There are only so many of those slots, and they tend to go to the most capable techs, but sometimes they go to "favorites".

"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #71 on: Mar 01, 2008, 11:10 »
I have a question for you RP types.

Can you negotiate a pay rate on an individual basis?

yessanknow.  depends on da individual 'n on da site.  bartlett has done individual contracts wit tex in da past.  first, they were stellar techs, 'n two there was a shortage of techs for that site.  dune individual contracts is knot a norm in da biz.  butt, as wit non-nukleer life, yinz muss carpe diem. 

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #72 on: Mar 01, 2008, 04:49 »
yinz git teen payed our lee?  pit tee.
« Last Edit: Mar 01, 2008, 04:50 by SloGlo »

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Safety/Chemist/Health Physicist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!
« Reply #73 on: Mar 01, 2008, 06:52 »
Any openings?
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

B.PRESGROVE

« Reply #74 on: Mar 11, 2008, 09:11 »

Eh, not bad, not bad.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?