Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Pay rates

Author Topic: Pay rates  (Read 131232 times)

Offline gonzo_4362

• Very Lite User
Re: Pay rates
« Reply #75 on: Apr 18, 2009, 01:05 »
can anybody tell me what a jr. tech should make please? "starting wage that is"
Life is what you make of it!!! Live and enjoy life to the fullest!!!

Offline RRhoads

• Heavy User
  • it was like like that when i got here!
« Reply #76 on: Apr 18, 2009, 03:58 »
starting wage pay! :P

Offline gonzo_4362

• Very Lite User
« Reply #77 on: Apr 18, 2009, 05:19 »
yes starting wage pay

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #78 on: Apr 18, 2009, 09:52 »
yes starting wage pay

I'm sure at Laguna Verde it's less than at Diablo, care to specify which plant(s) ?

Offline gonzo_4362

• Very Lite User
« Reply #79 on: Apr 20, 2009, 01:30 »
actually its for a doe contract?

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #80 on: Apr 20, 2009, 08:18 »
actually its for a doe contract?

I'll bet it's been answered in this very thread, scroll up , there are DOE folks here...

Offline TEX-INSP

• Light User
« Reply #81 on: Oct 28, 2009, 09:05 »
Pay rates for NDE/QC people in the nuke world ranges from 30-39/ hr from what I see

Skypuppy

« Reply #82 on: Dec 31, 2009, 05:25 »
Unless the tax code has changed considerably, there is no magic "maximum per diem."  The gov't posts (separately) housing and food allowances on a usually city/state basis.  That only means that if you get per diem money, then you don't have to keep detailed records if you get the posted rates or lower.  If you keep detailed records and you receive more per diem than you spend, you owe income taxes on the overage.

If you keep detailed records and have "reasonable expenses," even if you receive say, $200/day and their allowance is only $100/day, you can deduct all $200/day as non-taxable expenses.

Detailed records include receipts for *everything," including food, lodging, taxi, laundry, and etc. for all expenses incurred on the road that would be considerably cheaper than you pay for at home.

If you get audited, you must have a home which includes sleeping, bathing, and cooking facilities, else all per diem is taxable as income.

If your per diem is cut for a particular day because you were sick, and you're still at the job area, the IRS *can* view ALL your per diem as taxable income.  If your per diem is a steady 7 days a week for the duration and you're at the job area (which must be greater than 50 miles from home,) then it is unlikely to be viewed as taxable.

If a junior tech gets less per diem than a "senior" tech, then both techs per diem *can* be viewed by the IRS as income, as living expenses are the same for all.  How we've gotten away with this one for all these years is we've been dang lucky.

Don't forget that many states base their income taxes on whatever your adjusted gross income is for the feds.

One can receive per diem for travel days, but there are some time of day limits and I don't know those details.  Like if you leave home after 1800, you may not qualify for per diem for that day for anything but lodging.

mostlyharmless

« Reply #83 on: Dec 31, 2009, 03:05 »
In south carolina at savannah river site we make a little over 30ph plus we get to pay for insurance(app.5kpyr for a family) and have company match 50% up to 6% (new hires are different).  The shift folks work a rotating 11.7 hr shift with time and a half on sundays and anything over 40. Holidays worked are time and a half plus eight. The mind numbing boredom is free. I love being home but I miss the road. Wish I could have it both ways.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #84 on: Dec 31, 2009, 03:39 »
In south carolina at savannah river site we make a little over 30ph plus we get to pay for insurance(app.5kpyr for a family) and have company match 50% up to 6% (new hires are different).  The shift folks work a rotating 11.7 hr shift with time and a half on sundays and anything over 40. Holidays worked are time and a half plus eight. The mind numbing boredom is free. I love being home but I miss the road. Wish I could have it both ways.

!!!
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #85 on: Dec 31, 2009, 03:54 »
You are soooo close to being correct.  However, close to correct is wrong.  The tax code for unreimbursed employee business expenses has not changed significantly, but you have made some serious errors.

The Ferderal per diem rates are "maximum" rates.  That doesn't mean that an employer can't pay more.  It means that they are the maximum amounts that an employer can pay under an accountable plan without requiring the employees to prove the expenses.

Keeping detailed records does NOT make your per diem taxable if it would not otherwise be taxable.

You can NOT deduct $200 of expenses if you are given a $100 reimbursement.  What you can deduct is the difference between your expenses and what you are reimbursed for.  It has to be done on an annual basis -- you add up all the expenses for the year, subtract all the reimbursements, and deduct what is left.

If your employer gives you more per diem than the published maximum rate - for even one day - you may have to account for all of your expenses for the entire year.

There is no requirement for an employer to pay the same per diem to Jr's as to Sr. Techs.  In fact, they are not required to pay per diem at all.  They can choose to offer different reimbursement schedules to different job classifications if they desire.  This does NOT make the per diem taxable as pay as long as the employer doesn't exceed the maximum rates and doesn't pay for days when te employee is not eligible.

Withholding per diem for a sick day - while a despicable practice - does NOT make the rest of the per diem taxable as income.  Employers MAY (but are in no way required to ) reimburse travel and living expenses for days that you are away from your tax home.  If they have reason to believe that you were not away from your tax home, they are not under any obligation to cover expenses.  Since per diem is only treated as tax-free reimbursement if it is paid under an accountable plan, you actually do have to prove that you were away from home on business in order to be eligible. Being "sick" on a Friday and/or a Monday brings that into doubt.  Even if you can produce a hotel bill for those days, the "for business" part can still trip you up.  The best bet is to not work for a company if they use this tactic when it is not reasonable.  Unless you are abusing the sick days, it is just as reasonable for the employer to assume that you were actually sick and to treat the day like any other day off and pay the per diem.  They're
pretty much within their rights either way, but that doesn't mean that you have to accept employment with them.

There is no statutory limit as to the distance one must be away from home to receive per diem.  All that is required is that you be "away from home".  Generally, employers use 50 miles, but the distance could be more or less depending on the circumstances.  If you are working 8 hours per day and are only 60 miles from home, you have plenty of opportunity to return home each night, and your employer may decide that you do not need per diem. Or, you could be working 13 hours a day and be only 40 miles from home, but returning home each night is impractical or unsafe.  In this case, you could be reimbursed for your living expenses without breaking any rules.

There are no time of day limits on travel days.  You are entitled to the lodging for any day when you spend the night away from home.  The first and last day, you are entitled to only 1/2 of the meals and incidental expenses.  To apply this practically, my company pays a full day of per diem starting wwith the first day of travel to a job - and no per diem on the last day of travel home.  This actually overpays the employee by 1/2 of the M&IE portion on the first day and underrpays him by the same amount on the last day of travel home - so it is a wash and easier to account for.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p15.pdf

Page 11 describes briefly the rules for an accountable and non-accountable plan.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline desertdog

• Moderate User
« Reply #86 on: Dec 31, 2009, 05:55 »
Thanks again Beercourt for explaining this in easy to understand terms.  I have read those tax guides numerous times. Each time I think I am understanding what they're saying, the legalese throws me for a loop.

Also thanks for the link. Each time I go back to find the section I was look for, it takes another hour of sifting through all of that other stuff.

patriotsailor01

Jr. HP/RCT Pay Scale
« Reply #87 on: Oct 04, 2010, 11:18 »
I was a Navy ELT several years ago and am considering applying for Jr. positions for the first year just to get into the system and refresh myself. I'm wondering what Jr. Positions pay though.

Offline RTRT

• Light User
Re: Jr. HP/RCT Pay Scale
« Reply #88 on: Oct 05, 2010, 03:06 »
At STP for in house: Junior RP I     27.98             
                               Junior RP II     28.74
                            Associate RP I     29.49
                            Associate RP II     30.63
                            RP Tech I     31.76
                            RP Tech II           32.89
                            Senior RP I          34.03
                            Senior RP II         36.30
                     Journeyman RP Tech    37.81

For Contractors: Non Local/Outage

Adv. R P Tech.        27.87
                                  Sr. R P Tech.          26.77
                                  Associate R P Tech. 25.68
                                  Jr. R P Tech.             20.70                                 

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #89 on: Oct 05, 2010, 07:21 »
                               Junior RP II     28.74
                            Associate RP I     29.49
                            RP Tech I     31.76

Thanks for sharing.

patriotsailor01

« Reply #90 on: Oct 05, 2010, 08:14 »
Thanks for the info, gives me an idea of where I will be at. Now, how to get an in house position....

Offline sscone

• Moderate User
« Reply #91 on: Oct 05, 2010, 12:22 »
                               Junior RP II     28.74
                            Associate RP I     29.49
                            RP Tech I     31.76

Thats pretty good. Thats prob. on the upscale. I have been paid as a contractor. 17-22 an hour. Just depends on where ya go.

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #92 on: Oct 06, 2010, 05:12 »
Funny, the worst seven second house Junior is worth more than the best seven year contractor Senior..... :-X

There's LOGIC in there somewhere.... :stupidme:

Remember Stevey, everything's bigger in Texass!

RG.... ;)

« Last Edit: Oct 06, 2010, 06:31 by RAD-GHOST »

Offline cairnit

• Moderate User
  • I love my job........
« Reply #93 on: Oct 06, 2010, 09:44 »
Remember RG that most house techs, including the "worst seven second Junior" have a union that forces the pay scale up. Most of the contract techs don't have that luxury.

Offline techtoolong

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #94 on: Oct 06, 2010, 10:09 »
Does anyone know the contractor and house rates at Salem-Hope Creek ?  I am curious because we join the IBEW there but I am guessing there is a big difference in the pay scales.

stownsend

« Reply #95 on: Oct 06, 2010, 11:51 »
Joining the IBEW at Salem for a shutdown does not mean you signed under the same contract for house HP's.But I could be wrong.

Offline sscone

• Moderate User
« Reply #96 on: Oct 06, 2010, 01:23 »

Remember Stevey, everything's bigger in Texass!

RG.... ;)

Please don't call me Stevey. [spank] [dowave]

Offline cairnit

• Moderate User
  • I love my job........
« Reply #97 on: Oct 07, 2010, 08:50 »
Does anyone know the contractor and house rates at Salem-Hope Creek ?  I am curious because we join the IBEW there but I am guessing there is a big difference in the pay scales.

stownsend, I believe that is what the quote above is saying. So....anyone know the real answer or is the answer just DUH?.

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #98 on: Oct 07, 2010, 08:18 »
Please don't call me Stevey. [spank] [dowave]

I will tomorrow.... :dupe:

MR BIG

« Reply #99 on: Oct 11, 2010, 02:00 »
Joining the IBEW at Salem for a shutdown does not mean you signed under the same contract for house HP's.But I could be wrong.

No, You DO NOT get union scale like the house, but you still have to pay dues! Why would anyone do that? And you have people complaining on here about paying dues to the NPUA. At least when you get a job thru them you get union scale. Last fall 4 outages were staffed with NPUA company techs and got union scale Fed PD & Fed travel, with a guaranteed end date.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?