Career Path > EEI Tests

EEI CAST, POSS, MASS, TECH and SO/PD tests

<< < (3/36) > >>

Already Gone:
There really is such a thing as "overqualified".
You are basically the target candidate for a job in operations at a commercial nuke plant.  You are an ex-navy nuke, and have at least some college work.  (BTW, don't forget to convert your credits from the navy.  You probably have at least 60 just from being a nuke MM.)  A BS degree with no Navy nuke experience actually puts those people in line behind you.
Anyway, someone with a Master's Degree didn't go to all that trouble to get a non-management job.  An overqualified person usually does not get offered the job because they won't keep it if they take it.
Think about this, the potential employer (in this case DCPP) is looking to fill a spot that will cost them hundreds of thousands of dollars by the time you are fully trained.  YOU have a proven track record of being able to complete a training course that is directly related and much, much tougher.  Mr. Master of Science in Engineering may well pass the training and leave for a better job two days later.  He might even just quit if it becomes apparent to him that there are no good opportunities to climb the ladder there, or if he feels that he isn't working at his full potential. 
You can't fault a person who paid for all that education, if he becomes dissatisfied turning valves for a living.  But, HR professionals are also very good at knowing that this is going to happen, and they avoid hiring someone into a job that he won't be satisfied doing.
What they would love to have is a guy (or woman) like you, who is willing to get a degree in his (or her) off time, mostly at the company's expense.  In other words, they want you to grow within their organization, and work your way up the ladder.  They want to hire someone who has the potential to become a future plant manager, but they really need you to be an NLO at the moment.  That is the job that is open, and that is the job they need to fill.  They are serious about hiring someone to fill that job, and not someone who is just trying to get his foot in the door (and have to be replaced in a year or less).
Good luck, and remember that a former Navy Nuke has no business feeling intimidated by anyone when it comes to employability.  Any employer would be lucky to get you, and nuke plants know it.

batman77:
Hi!   I had the disappointing experience of FAILING the POSS test earlier this year at FirstEnergy.    >:(

Recently, I submitted my resume for another online posting and today I received an application in the mail to complete for that position.  Sounds good - BUT I know that this position requires that I pass the POSS test as well.    I NEED HELP!!!    Last time I had practiced the EEI tests so much that I could breeze right through them nearly perfectly.   That didn't help me much when I got to the real thing.   

FirstEnergy only tells you that you were "NOT RECOMMENDED" based on your test results.   I don't know what my WEAK spots were.  The Math was a killer.  The line chart test that was all over the place wasnn't great either!!     I've read through the forums.   There are so many ASVAB books - which ASVAB book specifically is recommended?   

One thing that I did learn on this forum is that I'm trying to get 11 CORRECT responses each module and that wrong answers are deducted from my correct answers.  OUCH - I DIDN"T KNOW THAT!!!

I'm open to any suggestions before I test again.   If I FAIL again, I doubt I'll try a third time.

Thanks

Fermi2:
Go to a Waldens, they always have a section of books called Chemistry Made Easy, Study For The LSATS and stuff like that. Usually there will be a book with a bunch of ASVABS.

Take one of the ASVABS in the book and do it as quickly as you can but maintain accuracy. Don't hurry, just take it as quickly as you are comfortable with. This establishes your comfort zone. Now take 10 % of the time away from your comfort time and try to do the terst within that  time frame. If you do well or even ok, shave another 10% and so on and so on. This gets you used to working a ways beyond your comfort zone while establishing some accuracy.

Mike

batman77:
So there is no one particular ASVAB book I should look for and use?  Any ASVAB book with multiple practice tests is good?   No one ASVAB book is better than the other?   Is there a need to work through all of the ASVAB sections or just particular ones?

Fermi2:
Any book with multiple tests is good.

You say you've taken a POSS. You should know what is on it. Use that knowledge to figure out what sections of the ASVAB you have to take.

You need initiative to succeed in this industry.

Mike

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version