Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu EEI CAST, POSS, MASS, TECH and SO/PD tests
honeypot

Author Topic: EEI CAST, POSS, MASS, TECH and SO/PD tests  (Read 300635 times)

Kharyzma21

Re: EEI CAST, POSS, MASS, TECH and SO/PD test s
« Reply #100 on: Nov 06, 2010, 08:05 »
This question is for Broadzilla...

Mike, I have read some of your posts discussing the MASS test.  I have read that you advise to guess before skipping to obtain the minimum amount of questions.  I have also read that leaving a blank answer/skipping holds the same weight as a guess if it is answered incorrectly. Granted that you have answered the minimum questions, is this a correct statement? Everyone and their mothers has this idea that leaving blank is way better since it won't be counted.  My opinion is, skip it only if you are completely unsure of the answer and it's killing too much of your time.

I'm new to this site so you may have already answered this but my search doesn't show a defined answer.  Yet, might that be your point?

Nonetheless, i'd appreciate any insight you have for me. 
Thanks -M

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #101 on: Jan 02, 2011, 11:19 »
This question is for Broadzilla...

Mike, I have read some of your posts discussing the MASS test.  I have read that you advise to guess before skipping to obtain the minimum amount of questions.  I have also read that leaving a blank answer/skipping holds the same weight as a guess if it is answered incorrectly. Granted that you have answered the minimum questions, is this a correct statement? Everyone and their mothers has this idea that leaving blank is way better since it won't be counted.  My opinion is, skip it only if you are completely unsure of the answer and it's killing too much of your time.

I'm new to this site so you may have already answered this but my search doesn't show a defined answer.  Yet, might that be your point?

Nonetheless, i'd appreciate any insight you have for me.  
Thanks -M

I've recently passed the MASS, POSS, and TECH tests.  Use your head to come up with a logical answer, because 90% of the questions are middle school based. You are not special, go do the practice tests and get used to the time constraints. If you second guess yourself, and skip over questions you are unsure to "go back later" you will subconciously think about that question until you go back to it. In a normal test, that is great, but when you need to answer 43 questions in 5 minutes, not so much! :D    sure, some questions its ok to say "ah @#$ it" but, leave it blank and dont plan on going back, unless you finish that section. These plants want people accurate under pressure, so this test does make a modicum of sense.

edit -> no im not mike! Sorry for stepping on anyones toes -.-
« Last Edit: Jan 02, 2011, 11:20 by Charlie Murphy »

Gibo

EEI TEST AT FPL
« Reply #102 on: Jan 08, 2011, 12:58 »
Hello guys!! I'm new here and I found this forum searching about the EEI test and can tell after I've readed a few of the post and their answer, this is a great website and what you are doing here is excellent.
Here it is my story: I'm Electrical Engineer and recently went to a personal interview (I feel went really well) at one of the FPL facilities in South Florida to be evaluated for an Engineer II position. My mistake was that I never ask to the interviewer about EEI test, he never mentioned about it , but I found at FPL website about the EEI test.
Basically what I would like to know is if one of you guys has had experience with the FPL hiring process and can tell if I have to expect that they will ask me to take one or maybe more of the EEI test and which one would apply for my case.
If so, will they let me know ahead of time that I'm going to take those test to be able to be prepare?

thanks for your advise!

jpbass81

Re: EEI TEST AT FPL
« Reply #103 on: Jan 27, 2011, 06:19 »
Hi Gibo,

I just recently took and passed the EEI Tech Test. I actually just received my job offer today!! This is a great sight with alot of helpful people...so hopefully I can return some good advice to you. If you do Have to take the EEI test there is a website with a practice test. Its basically the real thing just shorter and less time. I just studied that thing about 50 times. I set it up like a real test with the timed sections and acted like I was there taking it. after taking it a bunch of time you are going to remember the answers...but that doesnt matter, its all about knowing how to figure out the answer. The real test is exactly the same. Different answers, but its basically the same problem solving methods to a tee.

I have to dig it up but I have seen the info on this forum. Its the edison institute website and passcode to take the practice tests. There all there  tech, poss, mass etc.           

Test tips- Read all directions and situations. Its sounds easy but they try to trick you sometimes to see if you overlook something.   If you are not sure of an answer..SKIP IT. Its based on a certain percentage you need right. If there is 16 questions, you are sure of only 13 or 14....skip the other ones.    ill get back to you if you need still need the website and passcode

Offline azq12

• Very Lite User
  • Sr. HP
« Reply #104 on: May 27, 2011, 09:17 »
Hello All.

I'm preparing for the POSS test and I want to thank everyone for all the info given in this forum.  I have never taken it before, but based on the advice here, I have gotten an ASVAB study booklet and a Mechanical & Spatial training book.  I'm gonna start with the ASVAB guide I suppose, and practice speed with accuracy.  Forgive me if this question has been asked and I missed it; but are there sections I should focus on more than others?  Or should I just do all the ASVAB sections?

I have tried to go to the EEI link in this forum, but keep getting a bad gateway error.

Anyhow, I just wanted to introduce myself to the board, and thank you for your wisdom, and ask if there is anything else you'd like to offer that would help me out; feel free to do so.

Thanks,

Chris

Offline NoogaTiger

• Light User
« Reply #105 on: May 30, 2011, 11:00 »
http://www.high-paying-jobs-with-no-college-degree.com/POSStest.html

This is the study material I used a few months ago. 
I can't imagine anything being a more accurate representation of the questions and the time limits.
I know the source looks suspect, but I'll vouch for the content.
Also it's a download, so you don't have to locate it.

H-D FLH

how often does EEI change testing material
« Reply #106 on: May 30, 2011, 01:05 »
I took and received a recommended score on the POSS test. I took the one with the short math. Anyway, I talked with HR and was told that my results of the test were good forever or until EEI changes the testing questions or format around.  Does anyone out there know how often this happens or if it happens? It was the same questions and format as the one I took a year ago.
thanks-

Cycoticpenguin

Re: how often does EEI change testing material
« Reply #107 on: May 30, 2011, 07:33 »
EEI test results are only good for 7 years.

And who cares if they change the questions? Its 7th grade math, 3rd grade reading, and a little bit of cartography lol.

For all the EEI tests, I took old practice tests from years ago, the same format and similar questions where on all three of them.

Offline Karl

• Very Lite User
« Reply #108 on: May 31, 2011, 01:04 »
Its all about speed and accuracy.  Take the ASVAB practice tests over and over again and time yourself.  Skip around in the book so you don't start memorizing the answers.  Get used to doing arithmetic quickly in your head or on scratch paper.  Calculators are not allowed on the EEI. I had been using a calculator for so many years that I had to practice to re-learn this simple skill.  Practice over and over again to get the time down. 

I spent an hour or two every evening for a couple of weeks working through the ASVAB algebra, word problem, and conversion tests.  My strategy was to skip any questions I knew I couldn't answer relatively quickly and go back and answer them after I got to the end of the section.  When I took the actual EEI test, I completed all questions in all the sections except the long math before time was called.  Out of those, I finished all the Algebra and word problems, and maybe 50% of the double conversion questions that I had skipped earlier.       

H-D FLH

« Reply #109 on: Jun 01, 2011, 02:31 »
I wonder if in order to get a recommended score and how long the score is good for depends on the company that one is testing for????
When I took my test, I Made sure I was answering correct. I finished the Mechanical, 13 of the assembly, 30 of the reading, 9 or 10 of the math.  It wasn't the best but it passed. :)
And the HR testing facilitator told me that the results Will be good forever unless EEI changes anything in the testing.
The position I was testing for was an Assistant Unit Operator Apprentice.
 thanks to everyone for all the great posts, it was nice to be able to get other ways to attack this test.  I didn't pass this the first time I took it but the second time got it.
I really liked the Barron's mechanical and spatial study book.  It had the same assembly, and "line" test to study for the test.  And some prayer to God never hurt either.
I didn't get the position, they gave it to a guy who worked at the plant before. But I am hopeful for the next opening.
« Last Edit: Jun 01, 2011, 02:32 by H-D FLH »

Offline azq12

• Very Lite User
  • Sr. HP
« Reply #110 on: Jun 02, 2011, 07:07 »
Thanks for the advice guys.  I will put them to use!

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #111 on: Oct 02, 2011, 06:15 »
No offense, but from what I've read you shouldn't have passed.  Sounds like you answered 50-60% of each section except for mechanical.

No offense, but from what I've read, you aren't in a position to make this judgement.

Fermi2

« Reply #112 on: Oct 02, 2011, 07:35 »
No offense, but from what I've read you shouldn't have passed.  Sounds like you answered 50-60% of each section except for mechanical.

How the heck would you know what passing requirements are?

Divinitus

« Reply #113 on: Oct 03, 2011, 07:47 »
Thanks for being nice guys.  I posted that days ago.  Can anyone shed some light on his OP?  10 math questions would be less than one third of the section...so I'm assuming he got them all correct?  Instead of hammering me why not just admit no one has ANY idea how or why people get a passing score? lol...this place is great!

MacGyver

« Reply #114 on: Oct 03, 2011, 08:48 »
"why don't you just admit that no one has any idea how" ... You are wrong.  We have grown old telling forum readers the how & why test takers pass the POSS / MASS.  YOU just can't read.  We just got a thread started by a poster that study & read our posts & passed the POSS / MASS.  He even gave HIS blow by blow regarding this test (if you care to read it).  Have a nice night.  :)

Offline Bradtv

• Moderate User
  • NukeLurker
« Reply #115 on: Oct 04, 2011, 12:41 »
Thanks for being nice guys.  I posted that days ago.  Can anyone shed some light on his OP?  10 math questions would be less than one third of the section...so I'm assuming he got them all correct?  Instead of hammering me why not just admit no one has ANY idea how or why people get a passing score? lol...this place is great!

10 questions might mean something if you took the same exact test.  Some Utilities offer shorter versions than others.  I don't think anyone here has a definitive explanation of how it is graded, but I doubt you would get a definitive explanation from EEI.  We only know it is a pass or fail test, often with stipulations for nuclear (high) and fossil (moderate)... and we know who passes and who doesn't. 

Whether or not it best represents an NLO is immaterial.  The utilities set the rules and you've got to play the game.  As for your own predicament, many would argue that being IN the plant is better than outside.  You just have to seek the opportunities to advance.  If you don't find opportunities with your plant, seek them at other sites.
"Life is pleasant.  Death is peaceful.
It's the transition that's troublesome."  -Asimov

H-D FLH

« Reply #116 on: Oct 10, 2011, 05:36 »
There were only 18 or 19 math questions. I studied and went over practice questions. TOOK MY TIME to make sure I was what I believed to be 100% correct on every question before I answered it. I did complete many more of the questions the first time I took test. (didnt pass)
I didn't care how many I had to get correct to pass, was just concentrating on quality rather than quantity. As was mentioned in many other posts.
So with that, does anybody have a clue on how often or if ever EEI changes the testing format or test questions?
And thanks to all that made posts on how to take the test.  I read them, applied the info and ended up receiving a recommended notice.

davidh14

« Reply #117 on: Dec 25, 2011, 09:34 »
I just took the POSS/MASS tests and passed both.  To be honest, after reading posts here from people who had trouble and were worried about the tests, I became nervous too.  I had a week to study and I never got a college degree and I hadn't taken any important tests in many years.  I gathered though that the tests were not just about memorizing a lot of information and that proved true.  I guessed on many sections (a lot) but worked quickly and stayed focused.  I had taken the practice tests on the EEI website, so I knew the format pretty well.  Anyway, just a word of encouragement if anyone else ever reads this post like I had.  Don't stress out over the test just come prepared from the practice tests and get plenty of sleep and you can always try again in 6 months (I was told) but I did pass it on my first try and you can too!
Wish me luck for an opening and an interview!!

Dave

Velcro

« Reply #118 on: Jan 16, 2012, 04:42 »
Stressing over the POSS.  I have passed the MASS before and never stressed over it.  That was 4 years ago though, and now I am applying for an RO position I took the test but am stressing the results.  I did great on every section except the Math part.  There are three sections to that and I didn't even finish the second section.  I even had some questions that I put N for an answer.  I triple checked those and probably wasted time doing it but I couldn't find any other solution.  Kind of nervous and just crossing my fingers, other than that I think I did great on the interview just waiting on test results.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #119 on: Jan 16, 2012, 04:52 »
If you are applying for an Instant RO position and stressing the POSS....
I would seriously reconsider going NLO instead.
« Last Edit: Jan 16, 2012, 04:52 by HydroDave63 »

drayer54

« Reply #120 on: Jan 16, 2012, 05:23 »
Stressing over the POSS.  I have passed the MASS before and never stressed over it.  That was 4 years ago though, and now I am applying for an RO position I took the test but am stressing the results.  I did great on every section except the Math part.  There are three sections to that and I didn't even finish the second section.  I even had some questions that I put N for an answer.  I triple checked those and probably wasted time doing it but I couldn't find any other solution.  Kind of nervous and just crossing my fingers, other than that I think I did great on the interview just waiting on test results.

I passed that POSS a time or two  :old: :old: and think you shouldn't fear that N answer. It appeared several times in the math portion. If you rounded, odds are you were right. Between my nap and morning reflections that I did upon finishing the math, I did the long form on several of those questions and they were all right when I rounded.

I'm sure you did fine. It wasn't even hard!

« Last Edit: Jan 16, 2012, 05:24 by Drayer »

Velcro

« Reply #121 on: Jan 26, 2012, 12:15 »
Well I passed the POSS... I guess my stress was from not taking a test like that in so long.  Too bad I still didn't get the job, something about didn't have all the right qualifications, not going to deter me from trying to get myself back into the nuclear field though.

Offline misteree

• Light User
« Reply #122 on: Jul 17, 2012, 12:21 »
So I am retesting for the POSS test this Monday.

I have no idea as to which sections I need the most work on due to the fact that I never got my test results. I was only told by the company I applied to that I was "Not Recommended." I'll admit... it was not easy for me to hear that news.

I know this question gets asked a lot, but does anyone have any advice for someone taking the POSS Test for a second time?

I'm a little nervous as I was just notified this morning about retaking it and the test is in 5 days. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!!

-Misteree

Willy

Offline misteree

• Light User
« Reply #124 on: Jul 18, 2012, 01:32 »
Time to get studying!!! 5 days to go.  :D

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?