Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu EEI CAST, POSS, MASS, TECH and SO/PD tests  

Author Topic: EEI CAST, POSS, MASS, TECH and SO/PD tests  (Read 300679 times)

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
Re: EEI CAST, POSS, MASS, TECH and SO/PD tests
« Reply #150 on: Sep 26, 2014, 07:57 »
............, it’s my opinion that it takes a certain type or person to be an operator. Those who cannot perform well under pressure or are not sure and confident in their decisions don’t need to be (and I feel, should not be) tasked with the responsibility of operating a nuclear plant. I’m all for students who study tirelessly and put forth effort and look for ways (tips) for learning things. But that doesn’t mean much if the material cannot be internalized or when under pressure the correct answer cannot be produced.

never get these poeple started on innate versus learned,.....never,....

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,26372.0.html

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline cheme09

• Moderate User
« Reply #151 on: Sep 26, 2014, 08:37 »
never get these poeple started on innate versus learned,.....never,....

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,26372.0.html

that thought crossed my mind before actually posting my response, but oh well. maybe my third week of outage nights is getting to me. maybe it's made me less sensitive to the repercussions of my actions or others' feelings. maybe i'm just becoming more cynical. maybe i'm going down a dark path towards becoming another broadzilla  :o

really what i was just trying to be pc about in my initial response is the fact that if you're struggling with the POSS or MASS or any of these tests needed for application, it's not going to be an easy road if you manage to get the job. moreover, if the type of subject matter on these tests doesn't come easy to you even after endless studying, then it REALLY isn't going to be an easy road.

...maybe i'm just an a-hole

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #152 on: Sep 26, 2014, 09:33 »
that thought crossed my mind before actually posting my response, but oh well. maybe my third week of outage nights is getting to me. maybe it's made me less sensitive to the repercussions of my actions or others' feelings. maybe i'm just becoming more cynical. maybe i'm going down a dark path towards becoming another broadzilla  :o

really what i was just trying to be pc about in my initial response is the fact that if you're struggling with the POSS or MASS or any of these tests needed for application, it's not going to be an easy road if you manage to get the job. moreover, if the type of subject matter on these tests doesn't come easy to you even after endless studying, then it REALLY isn't going to be an easy road.

...maybe i'm just an a-hole

yup,.....third week of outage nights can do that to ya,... :P ;) :) 8)

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #153 on: Sep 27, 2014, 10:19 »
maybe i'm going down a dark path towards becoming another broadzilla  :o

Nope, BZ would have just posted "Janitor"

I was gonna post "decon" but I've already been coached about that...  :P

The tests are a filter. Not everyone belongs in nuclear power. Somebody has to work at the gas station / subway down the road from the plant.  ::)
I didn't take the POSS test, I took the Tech test (for RP). Didn't even know it was coming, but both of us that took it passed with no issues.  8)
You shouldn't have to study for an aptitude test...  ;)
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #154 on: Sep 29, 2014, 05:38 »

You shouldn't have to study for an aptitude test...  ;)

I get your point. 

But can we also agree that there is no reason NOT to do some practice tests if you have time...just to make sure your brain is in 'Test-Mode' when they hand you the paper?

:)
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline BigBear

• Lurker
POSS/MASS tips pls
« Reply #155 on: Nov 20, 2014, 07:42 »
I'm am going to be taking my POSS/MASS EXAM In a few weeks and was wondering a few things. 1st - when taking the test do they grade the answer I could not complete ? Im only 22 and don't have a college degree but I know how to study .. Honestly is this test that challenging that older guys can't pass it ? I'm nervouse and looking for answer please help me out.

jft3

« Reply #156 on: Feb 03, 2015, 01:20 »
Going to be taking my poss exam in a few weeks, but I have to take an entry math exam and must get an 80%? Does anyone know what possible topics could be on this exam?

Offline CTRaider

• Lurker
« Reply #157 on: Apr 03, 2015, 02:58 »
Hows it going? I am currently a Petroleum/Gasoline terminal operator. I have taken and failed the POSS/MASS test in the past. I just applied for an apprentice lineman job in my area's utility company. I have not recieved a test date yet but I know that it will be the CAST test. Does anyone have experience with the CAST as opposed to the POSS/MASS. From the practices it seems like it may be a little easier, but I want to be 100% prepared. Thanks in advance!

Offline Echonuc

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #158 on: Jul 11, 2016, 11:57 »
Hello everyone, I am new to this site and am a highly motivated wife seeking to support and assist my husband as much as possible in preparing for a POSS test and interview for an AO position at a Nuc (steam) plant. I will have several questions to help him along, but to start, I want to say that we have spent SEVERAL hours together on this site, reading and discussing every post pertaining to the POSS we can find. Yesterday while he was on call for work, I purchased him an ASVAB study book, an Algebra study book, and a POSS study book. He has also taken one POSS practice test and will be taking one a day until the actual test day. We understand the concept of accuracy and quality over speed and completion of the test, and also have a strategy understanding for how to work through the test (skip ones you cannot quickly complete to ensure you finish all the easy ones you can, then come back to the tough ones if you have time, do not guess as each wrong answer counts as 2 points against you). We both currently work full time, and his getting this job would afford me to stay home and take care of our son, have more children and finally have a better life…

So…background and sob story out of the way. Some starter questions….
•   Is the online practice test as realistic a practice test as a printed hard copy? (say the actual POSS they use at the plant he is applying for is printed)?
•   Will our credit score affect his eligibility for hiring? (I know they will do a background check and he will need government clearance –these will be no problem, but with them being so thorough in their scrutiny of potential candidates/employees…)
•   Can you recommend any way to study? (i.e. how long is needed, how many practice tests should be taken, is there any way I can help him?)
•   Flat out, will my husband be considered qualified? (He is currently a senior journeyman, low voltage electrician in charge of teams (similar to a foreman at a construction site) that are responsible for installing, monitoring, trouble shooting and fixing fire and security systems. He is responsible for final walkthrough and ensuring the new systems pass code for the Fire Chief and State fire safety guidelines. He graduated from an Arts College with honors for traditional animation, spent some years professionally animating cartoons that were on television, spent many following years doing computer coding/website design and building (better pay than animating). He has currently been a low voltage electrician for 5 years, has 2 certifications for low voltage electrical in 2 states (NICET), has CPR certification and was temporarily given government clearance to install systems on an Air Force Base.
We understand he has one shot at this test at this particular plant (which is our choice). And if he fails that’s it…. I understand there is a great group of people here who have helped a number of individuals pass the POSS test… so I am doing my part to help. Thank you in advance for any help, and I am sure I will have more questions along the way…
« Last Edit: Jul 11, 2016, 08:07 by Echonuc »

Offline ddickey

• Moderate User
« Reply #159 on: Jul 11, 2016, 03:25 »
Why would he want to leave a journeyman job to become an apprentice?

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #160 on: Jul 11, 2016, 06:05 »
Why would he want to leave a journeyman job to become an apprentice?

medical benefits, work locale predictability, opportunity to advance in Operations/etc., LTD/STD, schedule predictability, group life insurance, educational reimbursement, education equivalency credits, one income household, etcetera,...

to the OP, check your PMs,...

Offline Echonuc

• Very Lite User
« Reply #161 on: Jul 11, 2016, 06:29 »
He is a low voltage electrician in a small company. Not a lineman, but still has an impressive resume. But yes, he has topped out in his company and would start out making 1/3 more than he does now as an AO in a nuc plant. After his 2 years training, he would be making triple, and I could quit my job because his income would more than cover it (I make $40,000 as a merchandise manager). He would get double paid vacation, outage pay, and we were offered the opportunity to live with a family member who would charge us next to nothing so we could save up a house payment and get on our feet (which would make relocation easier) and we would love to relocate to that state. In short, we have every reason to want this position and relocate. :-)
« Last Edit: Jul 11, 2016, 08:08 by Echonuc »

Offline Rerun

• Heavy User
« Reply #162 on: Jul 11, 2016, 07:34 »
Actually no one has an "in" with HR. HR doesnt hire and anyone who claims to have an in is flat out lying.

Next speed counts more than accuracy. If you dont get enough questions done you fail. If you get 19 out of 19 right but you needed to answer 20 questions the guy who gets 17 right wins.

Last I coach guys on how to pass this test and last I checked I am 23 for 23. I have a fool proof method that works. You need an ASVAB test book

Offline Echonuc

• Very Lite User
« Reply #163 on: Jul 12, 2016, 11:14 »
How do you "coach" guys to pass this test? Also, I purchased two books which should be coming in Wednesday (Barron’s Mechanical Aptitude and Spatial Relations Test, ASVAB practice test book) and bought Geometry for dummies, I picked up an ASVAB study guide from the local library. Any other coaching we can get we will gladly accept. 

Offline Rerun

• Heavy User
« Reply #164 on: Jul 12, 2016, 06:59 »
An ASVAB book should have a certain number of tests. Take test one at a normal pace. Then shave 3 minutes off and take test two. Then 3 to 5 minutes off and take test 3 and so on and so on. Also on the reading just go straight to the questions. Most can be answered without doing the reading and those that cant are direct lookuos ie the 4th question will be in the 4th sentence or paragraph

Offline Echonuc

• Very Lite User
« Reply #165 on: Jul 13, 2016, 10:11 »
Rerun- Thank you for this valuable information. Can you expand on one thought? The direct lookups (I believe you meant), I am not following your example. Are you implying that there is a correlation between what number the question is and which sentence/paragraph its answer will be found in the question?

Thank you a ton! I picked him up 4 more books at another library yesterday. He spent his birthday night studying...

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #166 on: Jul 13, 2016, 01:36 »
..... He spent his birthday night studying...

well, at least he was home, I spent 3 birthdays studying one thing or another under the Arctic Circle, in the wintertime,... :P ;) :) 8)

(yeah, yeah, I know I volunteered for it)

Offline Rerun

• Heavy User
« Reply #167 on: Jul 13, 2016, 01:48 »
Yes by direct lookup I mean exactly that. Question 1 will come directly from the first passage

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #168 on: Jul 13, 2016, 02:38 »
Yes by direct lookup I mean exactly that. Question 1 will come directly from the first passage

Offline Stevenray2225

• Lurker
« Reply #169 on: Sep 19, 2017, 07:33 »
So I took the eei mass test for Entergy today and I was wondering if anyone knew how it was scored. Has anyone else taken the test for this company, etc

TVA

« Reply #170 on: Sep 19, 2017, 10:10 »
Scored?

Offline Stevenray2225

• Lurker
« Reply #171 on: Sep 20, 2017, 12:26 »
Yes, is there a certain amount of questions most plants want you to get correct? What is the target?

TVA

« Reply #172 on: Sep 21, 2017, 10:59 »
You have to answer enough questions to get it graded then get a certain amount correct

Offline Coolestower

• Very Lite User
« Reply #173 on: Sep 21, 2017, 05:42 »
Someone I know took the test and thinks they only got 9-10 questions right on one of the 15 question test, and maybe 30 out of 40 on another, but 100 on the other 2, is there any reference that this will be a fail for the EEI tech test?

TVA

« Reply #174 on: Sep 21, 2017, 09:26 »
No

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?