Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu EEI CAST, POSS, MASS, TECH and SO/PD tests

Author Topic: EEI CAST, POSS, MASS, TECH and SO/PD tests  (Read 300624 times)

EEI Tests

EEI CAST, POSS, MASS, TECH and SO/PD tests
« on: Jan 12, 2006, 01:12 »
Compilation thread of past posts related to EEI tests such as POSS, MASS, TECH, CAST, and SO/PD

TEST-TAKING TIPS

Aptitude tests help organizations select capable, qualified individuals for jobs. They are fair, objective and cost-effective screening tools. Aptitude tests identify those individuals who are more likely to be successful when hired, promoted, or transferred.

This online brochure has been developed to help you prepare to take an aptitude test. It is designed to give you advice and tips for taking tests. It contains a set of strategies you might consider before you take the test as well as during the testing session itself.

Aptitude tests measure knowledge and ability people have attained throughout their lives. Short-term studying for these tests may have little impact on your test performance.

Before the Session

You may want to prepare for the test session by taking some practice tests on different topics, like reading comprehension, math, and problem solving. This will give you an opportunity to take tests under various timed conditions. Guidebooks on test preparation, which might contain practice tests, may be available at your local library, bookstores, and through the Internet. (See the Resources section)

Approach the testing session with confidence. Consider it an opportunity to demonstrate your skills and abilities.

Get enough sleep the night before the testing session so you will feel rested and able to do your best.

Have something to eat before going to the testing session.

Although you may be nervous in anticipation of the testing session, it is not unusual to feel this way when important events occur in your life. In fact, this may help motivate you to do your best on the test.

Get to the testing location well in advance of the time the test is scheduled to begin. This will allow you to relax and stay calm, concentrate on doing your best and not feel rushed.

Don't bring a dictionary.

You will need to bring an official picture identification (e.g., driver's license) with you to the testing session.

All materials you need to take the test will be provided at the testing session. Test aids such as calculators and dictionaries are not allowed to be used.

Make sure to bring your eyeglasses if you need to wear them in order to take the test.

If for some reason you do not feel you can do your best on the test or you are not feeling well on the day of the test, call ahead of time to try to be re-scheduled to take it.

During the Testing Session

Listen carefully to the introduction to the testing session which the test administrator reads at the beginning of the testing session. Ask any questions you might have about the testing session at that time.

Follow along in your test booklet while the test administrator reads the test directions aloud. Typically, these include information on the number and format of test questions, the time limit for the test and, sometimes, how it is scored. Complete the sample questions. Make sure you understand what you are supposed to do on the test before it begins. If you are unclear, ask the test administrator any questions you may have before the test starts. It is up to you ask. The test administrator will not be able to answer your questions once the test has begun.

Read each test question carefully before you try to answer it.

If the test is timed, be sure to know the time limit. The test administrator will read it to you as part of the test directions. Keep track of your time and pace yourself. Work as quickly and as accurately as you can on the test. Work steadily on it until you are told to stop.

If there's a question you can't answer in a reasonable amount of time, skip it, and come back to it after you've answered all of the other questions on the test you're working on. If you skip over a question, make sure you also skip over the corresponding answer space for that question on your answer sheet.

If you're unsure of the correct answer to a question, try to eliminate those choices which you know are incorrect. Then you might consider making your best guess from among the remaining alternatives.

If there's time left over, check your work.

Once you've answered a question, it is usually best not to change it unless you're sure what you marked is wrong. Often when answers are changed, correct answers are changed to incorrect ones.

Pay attention to what you are expected to do on the different parts of the test. Consider each part as a completely separate set of problems to do. Do not be overly concerned about how you might have done on any one part. Even if you think you did not do well on one part, try to maintain a positive attitude when you start the next part.

Do not help,or ask for help from, other examinees during the testing session. If you do so, you may be disqualified from being considered for the job.

Practice Suggestions

Your local library and bookstores may have books that deal with improving your reading, math and mechanical comprehension skills. In addition, adult education programs might offer courses. The Internet is another place to look for information.

Books on reading comprehension are useful in strengthening reading skills and may contain practice reading tests. Textbooks on various subjects often have chapter review questions which you might try answering.

Basic math books which have addition, subtraction, multiplication and division problems may be a good source for preparing for arithmetic tests. Be sure to work on problems across all four areas. Elementary algebra books include problems on how to solve basic algebraic equations.

Books on mechanical concepts that have examples found in everyday life such as gravity, levers, pulleys, gears, shapes and centrifugal force may contain practice problems to enhance your understanding of mechanical principles. Courses in basic mechanics, shop repair, and high school physics also might help.

Resources

The following are some books and self-study guides on different topics. In addition, many others are available which you might want to consider.

Strategies and Preparation

Kesselman-Turkel, J., & Peterson, F. (2004). Study Smarts: How to Learn More in Less Time. Madison, WI: University of Wisconsin Press.

Kesselman-Turkel, J., & Peterson, F. (2004). Test-Taking Strategies. Madison, WI: University of Wisconsin Press.

LearningExpress Staff (2007). Test-Taking Power Strategies. New York, NY: LearningExpress.

Math and Science

Erdsneker, H. (2004). Arco Civil Service Arithmetic & Vocabulary Review (15th Edition). Lawrenceville, NJ: Peterson's.

Ewen, I., Weinfeld, M., Covington, J., & Smith, D. (1999). Kaplan Essential Review: High School Mathematics I. New York, NY: Kaplan Publishing.

Gibilisco, S. (2006). Teach Yourself Electricity and Electronics (4th Edition). New York, NY: McGraw-Hill.

Gussow, M. (2002). Basic Electricity: Based on Schaum’s Outline of Basic Electricity. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill.

Immergut, B., & Burr-Smith J. (2005). Arithmetic and Algebra Again (2nd Edition). New York, NY: McGraw-Hill.

LearningExpress Staff (2004). 1001 Math Problems: Fast, Focused Practice That Improves Your Math Skills (2nd Edition). New York, NY: LearningExpress.

Levy, J. (2004). Arco Master the Mechanical Aptitude and Spatial Relations Tests (6th Edition). Lawrenceville, NJ: Peterson's.

Miller, R., & Miller, M. (Eds.) (2002). Arco Electrician and Electrician’s Helper (9th Edition). Lawrenceville, NJ: Peterson's.

Morrison, R. (2003). Electricity: A Self-Teaching Guide. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons.

O’Malley, J. (1992). Schaum’s Outline of Basic Circuit Analysis (2nd Edition). New York, NY: McGraw-Hill.

Research & Education Association Staff (2003). REA’s Math Builder for Admission & Standardized Tests. Piscataway, NJ: Research & Education Association.

Zegarelli, M. (2007). Basic Math & Pre-Algebra for Dummies. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons.

Reading, Writing and Typing

Bonet, D. (1993). Easy English: Basic Grammar & Usage. Menlo Park, CA: Crisp Publications.

Boone, R. (1996). Reading Comprehension: What You Need to Know About Developing Your Test-Taking Skills. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill.

Brock, S. (2002). Better Business Writing: Techniques for Improving Correspondence (4th Edition). Menlo Park, CA: Crisp Publications.

Elliott, R. (2006). Painless Grammar (2nd Edition). Hauppauge, NY: Barron’s Educational Services.

Fry, R. (2004). Improve Your Reading (5th Edition). Clifton Park, NY: Delmar Cengage Learning.

Goodman, Y., Watson, D., & Burke, C. (1996). Reading Strategies: Focus on Comprehension (2nd Edition). Katonah, NY: Richard C. Owen Publishers.

Heuer, C., Saronson, S., & Niesz, J. (2006). Arco Master the Clerical Exams (5th Edition). Lawrenceville, NJ: Peterson’s.

Hoyt, L. (2008). Revisit, Reflect, and Retell: Strategies for Improving Reading Comprehension. Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann.

LearningExpress Staff (2003). 1001 Vocabulary & Spelling Questions: Fast, Focused Practice that Improves Your Word Knowledge. New York, NY: LearningExpress.

LearningExpress Staff (2006). 501 Reading Comprehension Questions (3rd Edition). New York, NY: LearningExpress.

Princeton Review Publishing Staff (2001). Grammar Smart: A Guide to Perfect Usage (2nd Edition). New York, NY: Random House Information Group.

Research & Education Association Staff (2002). REA’s Reading Comprehension Builder for Admission and Standardized Tests. Piscataway, NJ: Research & Education Association.

Research & Education Association Staff (2002). REA’s Verbal Builder for Admission and Standardized Tests. Piscataway, NJ: Research & Education Association.

Robinson, A. (2001). The Princeton Review Word Smart: Building an Educated Vocabulary (3rd Edition). New York, NY: Random House Information Group.

Schaffzin, N. (1994). The Princeton Review Reading Smart: Advanced Techniques for Improved Reading. New York, NY: Random House Information Group.

Zeitz, L. (2005). Keyboarding Made Simple: Learn the Best Techniques for Keyboarding Like a Pro. New York, NY: Broadway Books.

General

Cameron, S., Emmons, J., Friedman, M., Gregory, L., Kay, M., Klug, D., Land, G., Mallek, C., Marona, S., & Walsh, B. (2004). The Best Test Preparation for The GED: High School Equivalency Diploma. Piscataway, NJ: Research & Education Association.

Hammer, H. (1998). Arco General Test Practice for 101 U.S. Jobs (4th Edition). Lawrenceville, NJ: Peterson's.

Kaprov, R., & Kaprov, S. (2008). Master the GED 2009. Lawrenceville, NJ: Peterson's.

Lawrence, N. (2002). Arco GED Basics (3rd Edition). Lawrenceville, NJ: Peterson's.

Steck-Vaughn Staff (2001). GED Complete Preparation. Austin, TX: Steck-Vaughn.
« Last Edit: Nov 02, 2013, 11:47 by Rennhack »

Shonkatoys

Re: POSS Test... Need help!!!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2006, 08:15 »
http://www.nukeworker.com/study/hp/rct/index.shtml#DOE/EH-0262T-4   Right here on nukeworker.  Probably the best crash course there is for basic math and algebra. Just click math and algebra its about 50 pages long if I do recall.  You can skip over the stuff you know and brush up on the rest.

Bearcat76

« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2006, 01:04 »
Thank you for your help. I appreciate it very much!! (so does my family!! This could be a great opportunity for me)

M1Ark

« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2006, 09:30 »
Here is a link to a practice POSS test care of Progress Energy. 

http://www.progress-energy.com/aboutus/employment/eei/index.asp

Bearcat76

« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2006, 11:26 »
 :) I just wanted to tell everyone thank you for all the wonderful advice. I passed the test and have my final interview in a week or so. Thanks again!!!

Does anyone have any advice for a new AO or nonlicensed op? Or (my favorite)  "If I were to go back I would have...."?

Thanks again to all... God Bless

:)

"The land of the free; because of the brave...."

M1Ark

« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2006, 10:17 »
Thank you for your help. I appreciate it very much!! (so does my family!! This could be a great opportunity for me)

This will be a GREAT opportunity for you and your family.  What type of advice did you need?  Interview or operator life in general?  Also what plant are you interviewing?  You can PM me if you like.  I'd be glad to help.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
EEI CAST, POSS, MASS, TECH and SO/PD test s
« Reply #6 on: Mar 30, 2006, 03:07 »
In an effort to increase applicants familiarity with EEI Pre-employment tests, practice tests are available for the CAST, POSS, MASS, TECH and SO/PD test batteries. Please note the practice test will differ slightly from the real tests and answers and explanations have been provided for your review at the end of each practice test.

This book is the one I've seen recommended most for preparing for the POSS:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0768907098/ref=sr_11_1/104-3027662-9939138?%5Fencoding=UTF8

This is a link to actual practice tests:

http://www.eei.org/practicetests

name: southern
password: testing

or

Name: paper
Password: pen

or

Name: progress
Password: practice
« Last Edit: Mar 30, 2006, 03:13 by Rennhack »

KutaB.

Diablo Canyon POSS
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2006, 02:46 »
I am also going for the Diablo Canyon POSS test on Saturday.  I have noticed that most of the poeple with interests in this position already have a B.S. or B.A. and maybe a M.A.  That is definetely intimidating.  I live only a few miles from DCPP and a full time student at a local college.  I was a Navy Nuke MM for 6yrs, and have been out for a year.  Do I even stand a chance against the people with these degrees?  Anything I can do or say to make myself more marketable?  Thanks.

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
Re: Diablo Canyon POSS
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2006, 03:51 »
Kuta,
I have never worked in California (and never considered it, but that's a different story). Having said that, let me state that Navy Nukes that have gotten out and are now local are the bread and butter of every nuclear plant in the country.

Make a passing grade on the POSS (plenty of links for studying here) as step 1.

Step 2: college
If your degree is related, explain in the interview how you will complete it after employment on a not to interfere basis. If you degree is unrelated, explain why you want to enter the labor force instead of providing California with yet another History major.

Step 3: the competition
The B.A. degreed candidates have no comparison to your Navy Nuke position, and for that matter neither does the M.A. -- Liberal Arts degrees do not help you operate a nuclear plant.
B.S. may be competition, but only Engineering degrees (IMHO) are better suited for employment in Nuke plants.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

thenuttyneutron

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2006, 04:37 »
I was told the POSS is all about aptitude and I could not agree more with that after taking it a year ago.  Regarless of education level, the same percentage of people will pass it, 15%-20%.  The most important thing for a person to do that is taking the POSS is to learn the test now rather than while you are taking it.  Look at those practice tests and drill yourself with a stop watch.  Make sure you can deal with the fast pace of the test and learn how to take it.  Memorizing the conversions will also be very helpful, it is not hard after repeated drilling to memorize them.  Also know when to guess and when not too.  You penalized for wrong answers.

Do not worry about the people with engineering degrees.  Your experience as a navy nuke will serve you very well as a NLO.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2006, 05:56 »
There really is such a thing as "overqualified".
You are basically the target candidate for a job in operations at a commercial nuke plant.  You are an ex-navy nuke, and have at least some college work.  (BTW, don't forget to convert your credits from the navy.  You probably have at least 60 just from being a nuke MM.)  A BS degree with no Navy nuke experience actually puts those people in line behind you.
Anyway, someone with a Master's Degree didn't go to all that trouble to get a non-management job.  An overqualified person usually does not get offered the job because they won't keep it if they take it.
Think about this, the potential employer (in this case DCPP) is looking to fill a spot that will cost them hundreds of thousands of dollars by the time you are fully trained.  YOU have a proven track record of being able to complete a training course that is directly related and much, much tougher.  Mr. Master of Science in Engineering may well pass the training and leave for a better job two days later.  He might even just quit if it becomes apparent to him that there are no good opportunities to climb the ladder there, or if he feels that he isn't working at his full potential. 
You can't fault a person who paid for all that education, if he becomes dissatisfied turning valves for a living.  But, HR professionals are also very good at knowing that this is going to happen, and they avoid hiring someone into a job that he won't be satisfied doing.
What they would love to have is a guy (or woman) like you, who is willing to get a degree in his (or her) off time, mostly at the company's expense.  In other words, they want you to grow within their organization, and work your way up the ladder.  They want to hire someone who has the potential to become a future plant manager, but they really need you to be an NLO at the moment.  That is the job that is open, and that is the job they need to fill.  They are serious about hiring someone to fill that job, and not someone who is just trying to get his foot in the door (and have to be replaced in a year or less).
Good luck, and remember that a former Navy Nuke has no business feeling intimidated by anyone when it comes to employability.  Any employer would be lucky to get you, and nuke plants know it.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

batman77

FAILED POSS test previously - NEED HELP before testing AGAIN!
« Reply #11 on: Jul 21, 2006, 07:39 »
Hi!   I had the disappointing experience of FAILING the POSS test earlier this year at FirstEnergy.    >:(

Recently, I submitted my resume for another online posting and today I received an application in the mail to complete for that position.  Sounds good - BUT I know that this position requires that I pass the POSS test as well.    I NEED HELP!!!    Last time I had practiced the EEI tests so much that I could breeze right through them nearly perfectly.   That didn't help me much when I got to the real thing.   

FirstEnergy only tells you that you were "NOT RECOMMENDED" based on your test results.   I don't know what my WEAK spots were.  The Math was a killer.  The line chart test that was all over the place wasnn't great either!!     I've read through the forums.   There are so many ASVAB books - which ASVAB book specifically is recommended?   

One thing that I did learn on this forum is that I'm trying to get 11 CORRECT responses each module and that wrong answers are deducted from my correct answers.  OUCH - I DIDN"T KNOW THAT!!!

I'm open to any suggestions before I test again.   If I FAIL again, I doubt I'll try a third time.

Thanks
« Last Edit: Jul 21, 2006, 09:56 by batman77 »

Fermi2

Go to a Waldens, they always have a section of books called Chemistry Made Easy, Study For The LSATS and stuff like that. Usually there will be a book with a bunch of ASVABS.

Take one of the ASVABS in the book and do it as quickly as you can but maintain accuracy. Don't hurry, just take it as quickly as you are comfortable with. This establishes your comfort zone. Now take 10 % of the time away from your comfort time and try to do the terst within that  time frame. If you do well or even ok, shave another 10% and so on and so on. This gets you used to working a ways beyond your comfort zone while establishing some accuracy.

Mike

batman77

So there is no one particular ASVAB book I should look for and use?  Any ASVAB book with multiple practice tests is good?   No one ASVAB book is better than the other?   Is there a need to work through all of the ASVAB sections or just particular ones?

Fermi2

Any book with multiple tests is good.

You say you've taken a POSS. You should know what is on it. Use that knowledge to figure out what sections of the ASVAB you have to take.

You need initiative to succeed in this industry.

Mike

batman77

Well I guess I didn't put that quite right.   I've been continuing to read the posts and most say to work through the ASVAB tests.  Having taken the test I couldn't understand WHY I'd want to work completely THROUGH the tests as not all applied.  Thanks anyway.

thenuttyneutron

Just drill yourself over and over.  Use the practice test on the internet and have another person make up questions for you and drill with that.  Use a stop watch.  This will get you used to taking the test and help you memorize the conversions.  Learning the test is half the battle and you will stand a good chance at making the cut if you don't have to learn the test and take it at the same time.
« Last Edit: Jul 22, 2006, 02:13 by Nutty Neutron »

batman77

I'm a journeyman maintenance mechanic trying to pass the POSS test to get into a fossil plant.  I'm surprised both nuclear and fossil have to pass this test.  The math test killed me.  I don't remember having any algebra on the math test, just A LOT more conversion than are on the sample test at EEI.  Is there somewhere I can found some of those oddball conversions to memorize before taking the test?   From the table & graph test, I remember the graph with lines going everywhere ending at the right hand side.  Are there suggestions for that?   I was expecting a table to read!   Any suggestions for the spatial relations?   I knew those on the practice test and had used a thick spatial relations book to study, but none of that seemed to help.

I've taken about three test in 20 years!  This was nasty!  Does anyone know what it takes to pass for fossil?
« Last Edit: Jul 22, 2006, 11:42 by batman77 »

Fermi2

I'm not aware of any means to learn spatial relationships, in my mind it's something you can do, or you can't do.

I thought I was helping someone out who wants to be a nuke.

Mike

atomicairdale1

I recently took the POSS, and to prepare, I worked thru the ASVAB prep books, some mechanical and spatial ability prep books, and had my wife make some practice tests with conversions, and with the provided graphs.
 The company I tested for sent me a letter stating that I had failed. So, I contacted them, to find what portion I messed up on. Upon further investigation, there was some sort of computer/transposition error, and I actually passed. But when I thought I failed, I was talking to a community college that offers a POSS test prep course, and getting a copy of the course materials. Here is the contact info from the website :                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             An EEI Test Preparation Course may be available at a community college near you. For more information, contact the schools listed below:

Chattanooga State Technical Community College, Chattanooga, Tennessee

Pellissippi State Technical Community College, Knoxville, Tennessee

Northwest Shoals Community College, Muscle Shoals, Alabama

Hope that helps!
  Bill

PS Being as how you recently took it, you know which converion factors to memorize, and what kind of algebra questions to practice....

M1Ark

« Reply #20 on: Jul 27, 2006, 10:07 »
Don't feel intimidated.  You have enough engineering knowledge to be able to do quite well against engineers with no experience.  Beercourt is right.  They are all (or should be) intimidated of you.  Pass the POSS and the only ones in your way are other ex-navy nukes.

th55

Mass / Poss question
« Reply #21 on: Oct 28, 2006, 04:56 »
Anyone know about the pscyc test that is at the end of the Mass test?  This test reminded me of a similar test I took way back in high school for fun. 

I am wondering how much weight is placed on this part of the exam?

How about a place or website that can take this type test?

TH

Fermi2

Re: Mass / Poss question
« Reply #22 on: Oct 28, 2006, 05:24 »
If you're going to gain unescorted access to a commercial nuke facility you'd best take that psyche exam very seriously and not play around. Once in a facility you have to take it every so many years, if you show any abberations you have to talk with a shrink. In todays day and age I doubt a potential employee would get that far due to the number of qualified applicants.

How do you study for a psyche test???

Mike

Offline tigger

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #23 on: Oct 28, 2006, 09:41 »
I will have to look up the site, I believe you are asking for sample Mass Poss tests and not a sample of the spych test..... Lets hope anyway..... it asks questions like.. do you love you mother, do you love you father, some silly ones.... do you participate in kinky sex, does the site of blood bother you....
Anyway, I will post a site where you can take a sample EEI test.

http://www.exeloncorp.com/careers/eeitestinfo/

Go there, it has the password and ID on that same page.
I have taken the test before, it is pretty easy, but it is timed and that sometimes bothers people.
Good luck, and do practice.

th55

« Reply #24 on: Oct 29, 2006, 04:24 »
I am more curious to find out for myself what this type test says about me.  The mood you're in when you take the test has to affect how you look at these very general questions. 

The one I took a long time ago (and was able to see the results) was fairly accurate in some of the things it claimed about me, but a fortune teller can do the same thing.  Neither of these is methods of testing a personallity is very reasuring to me, especially when your livelyhood may hinge on it. 

I guess the biggest problem I have is that they won't tell you why you failed. To me, any test, is an assessment of myself that will give me a gauge for personal improvement.

I recently took a Mass test and was "not recommended", I had never failed a mechanical apptitude test ever before and at first was convinced I probably failed due the psyche test, even before I got an answer.  If this is true then I really want to know so I can quit wasting my time and theirs.  I remember it did have questions like...do you love you mother?,...how many days can you miss work in a month and still be a good employee?,...is it ok to take a pencil from work?,...have you ever stolen anything?  But what are they looking for?, a loving, on time, pencil protector? ;)

My immeditate thoughts after taking the test was worring about this psyche part. Unfortunatly, a few weeks after I took the test, I found this web site and has since figured out that most likely the "math" is what got me.  It was the only section that I did not finish, all the others I was able to finish, go back and double check, at least most of my answers.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?