Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Sub JO needs some career advice  

Author Topic: Sub JO needs some career advice  (Read 6523 times)

bigjer25

Sub JO needs some career advice
« on: Jan 29, 2006, 10:34 »
Hello all,
    I am a prior-E gone to the dark side.  I am in the middle of O-NPS and trying to figure out a semi-career path for the next 11 years until I retire.  I will have about 10 years of time to do as a sub officer, about 2 sea tours and 2 shore tours.  I am trying to decide if I should go the SSN route as a JO and "get it out of the way." (I am spoiled, I served on an SSBN while enlisted) I sent an email to my detailer and he told me that as a sub officer, for my two sea tours, they like us to do one SSN and one SSBN.  Sounds good, but I have not had good experience with detailers and I would just like to know it this is the way it is, or is he just trying to get me out to pearl harbor? Obviously we would all want to serve on boomers, but I know it cant always be that way.  I dont mind doing the SSN tour, i just dont want to take it as a JO and then have to do another one cause by then they "know they have me."    Any advice?  Thanks to all that post back, I promise to take heed...

graydragon67

Re: Sub JO needs advice
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2006, 10:50 »
From my experience of dealing with you officer types.  You are correct, in a sense.  They (the mighty powers that be), like for you to have a well rounded education of platforms.  Most of my Eng's, Nav's, Wep's were either slow boats guys or fast boats.  It all depends on the NEED of the NAVY.  If you want to go slow approach again, try for it.  The worst they can do is tell you NO and Aloha!  If you go Fast then you will be with the same dillema when you roll to sea again. 

By the way, there's nothing wrong with the fast life, you might even get see something of the world....maybe.  You are going to be a new jo...

Rad Sponge

Re: Sub JO needs some career advice
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2006, 11:00 »
Okay, so you have already decided to do 10 more and get out as a LT/LCDR and retire. Okay, you have no aspirations to stay in til 30 and try and be a CO...currently.

That being said, who cares what the detailer wants. If you want SSBN, do SSBN if the billet is available. Why? Well, you obviously are familiar with S8G and hence would have one less thing to be worried about. You have the 8G maneuvering time as an EO/Th/SRO/EWS?(I guess) so as a JO you would possibly be a hot running JO, qualify EOOW quickly, impress your chain, and be more able to focus on sub driving.

Then do your shore and then screen for DH and head to an SSN or SSGN or NR-1 or whatever. I may not have all the answers but, it seems logical to do what is the easiest transition.

I mean by the time you reach your 2nd shore tour, would it really matter what you did when/where as long as you qualify for command and have good Fitreps? Seems to me pretty nonsensical to care which platform you do if you don't plan on staying on for XO quals.

Of course I was just a lowly blueshirt, I could be wrong.

taterhead

« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2006, 12:49 »
Sounds good, but I have not had good experience with detailers and I would just like to know it this is the way it is, or is he just trying to get me out to pearl harbor?

Pearl Harbor...HA

You mean GUAM! ;)

graydragon67

« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2006, 03:16 »
Oh no...  I forgot about Guam being an actually base now. 

Hopefully you'll miss that bullet.

maxxchia

« Reply #5 on: Feb 19, 2006, 11:25 »
I had a great time in guam...  (single ;D)

visserjr

« Reply #6 on: Feb 25, 2006, 02:41 »
A'int no slack in a FAST ATTACK, damn sure no pride in a trident ride.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 25, 2006, 03:08 »
If I were in now I think the new SSGNs would interest me. It represents a whole new mission capability and lots of new toys.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/space/02/24/cormorant/index.html

visserjr

« Reply #8 on: Feb 26, 2006, 02:22 »
SSGN's are an underwater Tomahawk gatlin gun!!!!aaaoooouuuuugggaa!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?