Career Path > Tax Q&A

Taxes for Travelers

<< < (11/14) > >>

djdroc:

--- Quote from: traveltax on Jan 30, 2010, 07:41 ---Feel free to post your tax questions here. Seems this thread fizzled out last May  ???

--- End quote ---

I'm a nukeworker who regularly travels away from home on temp assignments running anywhere from 2 wks to 3 mos and often a min of 75 miles away. I drive to each location, paying out of pocket for meals/lodging and receiving no per diem for either. I haven't been the best with keeping up with all my receipts.  For simplicity, can I take a tax deduction for lodging and meals using the fed per diem rates?  If not both, is it true that I can deduct actual lodging exps and take a standard meal deduction using the fed per diem meal rates instead? 

traveltax:

--- Quote from: djdroc on Sep 13, 2010, 10:31 ---I'm a nukeworker who regularly travels away from home on temp assignments running anywhere from 2 wks to 3 mos and often a min of 75 miles away. I drive to each location, paying out of pocket for meals/lodging and receiving no per diem for either. I haven't been the best with keeping up with all my receipts.  For simplicity, can I take a tax deduction for lodging and meals using the fed per diem rates?  If not both, is it true that I can deduct actual lodging exps and take a standard meal deduction using the fed per diem meal rates instead? 

--- End quote ---

Actual lodging expenses and the Federal per diem for meals.
This assumes that you have a tax home vs a permanent residence as those two things are different

whitnanc:
I am being audited for mileage.  has anyone else gone thru it?

traveltax:

--- Quote from: whitnanc on Jan 29, 2013, 02:51 ---I am being audited for mileage.  has anyone else gone thru it?

--- End quote ---

You will need to provide a log that identifies the miles, destination and purpose for the trip. Frequent trips to the same location can be summarized. They will also attemt to determine your tax residence to validate the deductiblity of the mileage

BetaAnt:
Since medical insurance is mandatory under ObamaCare, is it tax deductible as it has been declared a tax by the SCOTUS? DOE sites pay a taxed Health & Welfare stipend (required by the Service Contract Act) - a taxed benefit. If the insurance requirement exceeds the H&W stipend, is the excess deductible?

Why are state income tax refunds from the previous year considered taxable income yet federal refunds are not?

Why are unemployment benefits taxable but EBT food stamps are not? Or subsidized housing vouchers? Or welfare disbursements?

Just filling in the 1040 blanks and getting depressed.  :'(

BA

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version