Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu [Navy question] No 3rd class, no 6th year of enlistment?  

Author Topic: [Navy question] No 3rd class, no 6th year of enlistment?  (Read 6268 times)

Sarpedon

I'm sorry if this post is inappropriate for the topic; this is the closest topic I could find. If it isn't supposed to be here just let me know and I'll delete it.

OK, I'm a nuke ET3 at prototype in New York. There's a guy in my class who had his 3rd class promotion withheld from him when he graduated A school. I'm not sure exactly the reason, but from what I hear he was (and still is) a problem child... frequently late, bad attitude, etc. He took the 3rd class advancement exam while we were in power school and got promoted to 3rd. When I was frocked at the end of A school, I had to sign a paper agreeing to extend my enlistment for 1 year in exchange for being frocked to 3rd class. He never did that... He claims that he's only in for 5 years rather than 6. I think that's true, but at the same time I don't know. My LES has my correct termination date, 6 years after I left for boot camp. I don't know what his is.... Has anybody else had a similar experience or knowledge of this? I'm pretty curious. Thanks in advance.

Offline PWHoppe

• Forum Staff
  • CONFIRMED!: The dumbest man on the planet
Re: [Navy question] No 3rd class, no 6th year of enlistment?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16, 2006, 07:18 »
No need to apologize, this is the correct forum for your question. I'm sure that there will be some folks that will be able to give some insight or experience here. Good Luck, Welcome to NukeWoker, and a big THANK YOU for serving our country. ;)
If a chicken and a half can lay an egg and a half in a day and a half, how many days will it take a grasshopper with a rubber foot to kick a hole in a tin can?

Forum rules..http://www.nukeworker.co

graydragon67

« Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 2006, 08:35 »
All in all it doesn't really matter.  Why you may ask.  Simply put, the Navy didn't tell you but, your actually theirs for 8 years.  WHAT??  You might say, let me explain...  If you get out at your 6 year point (which I did a long time ago), you are informed that you still have 2 years of INACTIVE reserve time left to serve.  Now that just means if they call up the reserves they have to go through all of the ACTIVE before they CALL UP YOU.  So, I wouldn't worry about your classmate, more than likely when he gets to the fleet the Admin Red Tape will catch up to him.  I've seen guys come to the boat with similar problems, 'oh I didn't sign that paper, HAHA I only have 2-3 years left' then the happy response of 'what do you mean my EAOS got extended???  WHAAAAA'. 

Trinian23

« Reply #3 on: Feb 16, 2006, 08:44 »
It's been a few years, so things may have changed since I went in, but if I remember correctly I signed a two year extension to my initial 4 year enlistment when I enlisted. The 1306 that I signed once I was frocked 3rd class out of A-school basically said for every training school that I make it through I am obligated for a certain amount of time of that extension. I believe everyone had to sign that particualr form. I amy be wrong though, and its been a few years.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2006, 09:02 »
I signed two forms.  One said that I owed them a fifth year of active service for the free E-4.  The second said that I owed them two months of active duty for every month of training that they gave me, including A school, up to a maximum of six years active duty.  If you make it through NPS and prototype, you will owe them the whole six years whether you take the promotion or not and whether you graduate or not.
And no, you do not owe them eight years.  The basic enlistment period is six years.  For most people, that is 4 active and 2 inactive reserve.  For some, it is 2 active and 4 active reserve.  For nukes it is the former, with the addition of up to 2 years active duty as stated above.  If you do the six, without reenlisting, you are totally free.  If you do at least four but less than six, the balance of the six years is inactive reserve.
« Last Edit: Feb 16, 2006, 09:03 by BeerCourt »
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Fermi2

« Reply #5 on: Feb 17, 2006, 11:35 »
Yes I have, and take into account this was in 1984.

A Machinist's Mate passed A School but elected not to take the crow. His EAOS was 5 years from his enlistment date.

A guy who graduated about the same time graduated A School, but for disciplinary reasons that didn't disqualify him from the program his crow was with held. Because he had already agreed to take the crow his EAOS was 6 years.

Mike

visserjr

« Reply #6 on: Feb 25, 2006, 02:46 »
No offense, but unless you are the "Problem Child", why worry? You will find that in your time in the navy, that good and bad deals will be dealt to the wrong people sometimes. Best thing to do is concentrate on how you are doing. It will eat away at you if you focus on the "unfairs" in life.

bobsteve

« Reply #7 on: Mar 16, 2006, 07:29 »
Chances are he will get his E-4 soon enough, the navy will get 6 yrs out of him for sure though.  They can always just charge him for the schooling, like every day in nuke power school is 2 days you owe the navy.  They get their money out of you somehow.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?