Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Waiver Questions
honeypot

Author Topic: Waiver Questions  (Read 15684 times)

DarkMesa8

Waiver Questions
« on: Feb 17, 2006, 08:27 »
First post, hello!

I'm currently in DEP scheduled to ship off May 25th as an SECF.  Nuclear Field was and is still my first choice, but I needed two waivers in order to get in.

The first is for citizenship, I was born in South Korea and adopted at four months old in Minnesota, naturalized as a citizen at that time.

The second is for traffic citations.  Seven total, none of them criminal offenses.  Three were non-moving.

First question:  Are these problems killers for those looking to get into NF?  Of course my recruiter has been telling me it won't be a problem, even after I've signed on the dotted line.  But than again, he's my recruiter.

Second question:  My written statements were faxed to the Nuclear recruiter two weeks ago.  I know things in the military take time (I'm trying to get used to that).  But my recruiter keeps saying "any day now" and has been saying so for 14 days.  What's the timeline for these waivers to get through?

As for my qualifications, I scored a 92 on the ASVAB and have 2.5 years of college under my belt (can no longer afford college, but have wanted to be in the Navy for the past 7 years so it wasn't that hard of a decision).  Excellent math and science grades in high school, but very few math and sciences in college because I was studying political science. 

Thank you very much.

EDIT:  Oh, forgot.  Does anybody have any idea what slots are open now for NF?  I'm hoping for the sooner the better.
« Last Edit: Feb 17, 2006, 08:29 by DarkMesa8 »

taterhead

Re: Waiver Questions
« Reply #1 on: Feb 17, 2006, 09:04 »
I would assume that if you meet the security requirements for the SECF field that you should meet them for the nuclear field.  The SECF deals with pretty sensitive information as well.  In fact, I am pretty sure that field is at about the same level as nuclear for bonuses, advancement, etc.

I think you are in a good position even if the nuclear field falls through for some reason.

DarkMesa8

« Reply #2 on: Feb 17, 2006, 09:14 »
Oh don't get me wrong, I was very happy when SECF was offered to me.  But like I stated above, I have my first choice on the "wish list". 

Anxiety has kind of been killing me ever since MEPS.

Trinian23

« Reply #3 on: Feb 17, 2006, 09:25 »
Don't worry about it. I had two waivers also but mine were for more serious offenses then traffic violations. The waiver process can sometimes take a long time. If nuke is what you want, then stick with it.

DarkMesa8

« Reply #4 on: Mar 21, 2006, 09:15 »
6+ weeks and counting.

I speak with my recruiter every week (about other things besides nuke) and I always slip in the question.  He says its in CNRC being considered every time. 
« Last Edit: Mar 21, 2006, 09:20 by DarkMesa8 »

JsonD13

« Reply #5 on: Mar 22, 2006, 11:56 »
I would have him call the nuke recruiter in front of you so you know what exactly is going on.  It is possible that he just hasn't heard back yet (even though your waiver couldv'e been approved weeks ago).  I was recruited out of MN as well.  I had a nuke for a recruiter, and I had more waivers than you are talking about (I was a natural born citizen however, but I did have a medical, traffic, academic, and jail time waiver (that was B/S, only 3 hours lol)).  But anyways, it took about two months from the moment I first talked to the recruiter to the moment that I was leaving for RTC (This was before 9/11 though).  You just gotta push the right buttons the right way.

RCLCPO

« Reply #6 on: Mar 23, 2006, 08:35 »
The sticky point is your citizenship issue.  These can take a while, but your NRD nuke can find out the status of the waiver (so far) and who has it now.

M1Ark

« Reply #7 on: Mar 24, 2006, 07:08 »
The sticky point is your citizenship issue.  These can take a while, but your NRD nuke can find out the status of the waiver (so far) and who has it now.

If you were naturalized like you said you were then you are a citizen and it'll be no problem.  I was naturalized and it was a non-issue.

RCLCPO

« Reply #8 on: Mar 24, 2006, 10:44 »
There are two types of NF waivers: type 1 and type 2.  Type 1 waivers are for the easy stuff, like having too many parking tickets.  Type 2 waivers are for more complex categories, like citizenship, and have to be seen by more (and different groups of) people.  It is the category of waiver, citizenship, not the ease of coming to a common sense conclusion (you were only 4 months old at the time), that determines how long these things take.

Thanks to the Walkers, and others, it is known from experience that family connections can be powerful motivators for folks to do bad things (like give away secrets).  Citizenship issues are treated very seriously.  I knew of guy (long ago) who was denied, from similar circumstances, because he had an uncle who still lived in Russia.  Unfair?  I thought so at the time, but history is a teacher whose lessons are hard, and like most areas of nuclear power, it's usually better to fail on the conservative side.

M1Ark

« Reply #9 on: Mar 25, 2006, 09:40 »
I just looked at my service record and my original enlistment papers.  I had my naturalization papers and DID NOT need a waiver.  I was naturalized at 13 years old and it was no problem.  You don't get your security clearance until after 'A' school.  I waited a veeery long time for my security clearance and almost missed classing up with my nuke school class because my security clearance was more involved because of being born overseas.

If you really have questions ask to speak to someone other than your local recruiter.  Try talking to a nuke recruiter at MEPS.  If you are naturalized then you are a citizen. I do not believe you need a waiver if you are a naturalized citizen.  This is based on my experience.  You're answer won't come from this forum since the percentage of navy nukes that are naturalized citizen is very small. You'll soon realize that it is the most vanilla organization you will encounter.

RCLCPO

« Reply #10 on: Mar 26, 2006, 07:12 »
Just so you know, I happen to have spent the last 3 years as a Nuclear Field recruiter.  Unless you were born in the US, to parents who were both born in the US (and are not dual citizens), you need a citizenship waiver.

WarKrisMagic

« Reply #11 on: Mar 26, 2006, 07:59 »
I concur with RCLCPO.  I was born here, after my dad was naturalized more than thirty years ago, and even so I needed a waiver.

MCiko

« Reply #12 on: Mar 26, 2006, 09:49 »
I just looked at my service record and my original enlistment papers.  I had my naturalization papers and DID NOT need a waiver.  I was naturalized at 13 years old and it was no problem.  You don't get your security clearance until after 'A' school.  I waited a veeery long time for my security clearance and almost missed classing up with my nuke school class because my security clearance was more involved because of being born overseas.

I also concur with RCLCPO, as for documents that state if you have a waiver for the navy nuclear propulsion program, most waivers are transparent and internal between the Bureau, Community Manager and Naval Reactors.

As for the time it takes for a waiver to be approved, there is really no set thumb rule (way to many variables).

My best advice for our prospect, patience, if this to much for you already. The Navy and definitely the nuke program might not be for you.

Currently citizenship is big deal for the navy and nuclear power program.

M1Ark

« Reply #13 on: Mar 27, 2006, 05:03 »
My info is dated.  9/11 was not of concern in the 80's.

DarkMesa8

« Reply #14 on: Apr 22, 2006, 01:20 »
Just an update on week 10.

I finally decided I had to circumnavigate my recruiter, and got ahold of the nuke recruiter.  Well, she was waiting on personal references and my juvenile police record (which is non existent) from my recruiter.

Holy crap!  :o I've got one month and three days before I ship for SECF.

I got those things taken care of in two days and hand delivered them to the nuke recruiter.  My package for waivers finally went out this past Wednesday, and she said it would be a few weeks before she knew.  She said it should be back before my ship date, but honestly didn't sound too sure.

At first I was livid with my recruiter, but than accepted it was done, and pissing off my recruiter by me being pissed off at him wasn't going to do any good at all.  I didn't even bring it up with him.

Many lessons learned so far, and I'm not even in the Navy yet!
« Last Edit: Apr 22, 2006, 01:22 by DarkMesa8 »

M1Ark

« Reply #15 on: Apr 22, 2006, 09:06 »
Welcome to the Navy! Your recruiter is the first of many incompetent people you will encounter.  Wait until you run across an incompetent PN, DK or HM.  I think I got those right (12 years ago).

Fermi2

« Reply #16 on: Apr 22, 2006, 12:35 »
Welcome to the Navy! Your recruiter is the first of many incompetent people you will encounter.  Wait until you run across an incompetent PN, DK or HM.  I think I got those right (12 years ago).

Yeah, like when I hurt my elbows and finally got my orders for a discharge and the PN in charge at Personnel said they couldn't get to me that week because they were only doing Overweight and Bad Conduct discharges until the next Monday. GRRRR!!

DarkMesa8

« Reply #17 on: Apr 25, 2006, 04:35 »
Wow, things happen a lot faster when you take things into your own hands.

Got a call from the Nuke recruiter, she wants me at MEPS tomorrow to reclassify into a Nuke Contract.

;D  ;D  ;D

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #18 on: Apr 25, 2006, 04:38 »
Welcome to the real Navy. Use your chain of command, which means start where you are supposed to, but then keep going up the line. It won't be the last time you do this!  ;D
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

DarkMesa8

« Reply #19 on: Apr 26, 2006, 08:36 »
Got my contract signed and the copy is sitting right here.

Thanks for all the answers and support.  Ship date is May 25th, less than a month away.

I'm stoked, and determined!

DarkMesa8

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2006, 05:57 »
OMG...

Meps doesn't have any records of my waivers.

Nuclear Field Coordinator, who I worked with, is in Italy.  District can't find the waivers.

I've got my contract sitting right here, but I'm assuming its worthless without my waivers.

I ship in two days, I even called District and specifically asked them if everything was set two weeks ago.  They said I was ready to go.  Bunch of bull it would appear.

I've got two separate recruiting stations rushing to get things taken care of, and they both keep telling me "you'll be fine, everything will be ready". 

So, my worst case scenario is, I get to MEPS on my ship date, and they say my contract is null and void because of no waivers.  Obviously, they're gonna try and get me to pick a different rate right than and there. 

Am I correct in believing that I do not have to sign into another rate that day, since my ineligibility for Nuke was out of my control?  I guess I'm asking, do I lawfully have to sign any sort of contract that's different from what I agreed to in DEP?

taterhead

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2006, 06:43 »
Unless I am mistaken, you can legally just walk right out of that recruiting station right up to the time you leave. 

I strongly caution you against leaving for boot camp until everything is final with your contract.  After that, you are no longer in control.

Fermi2

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2006, 07:33 »
Until you actually swear in on the day you're to leave to boot camp you can back out and they can't do a darn thing about it.

Mike

DarkMesa8

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2006, 07:42 »
I've thought about it, and decided that if they can show me in writing that the waivers were rejected, than I will choose another rate that day.

But if they cannot find them, say they haven't gone through yet, or anything else of that nature, I will not sign and swear in. 

This is gonna be a pain in the butt though, because I am very broke right now and really cannot wait to ship off in another few months.

taterhead

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2006, 01:54 »
Where are you, exactly...as in, what MEPS district?

DarkMesa8

« Reply #25 on: Aug 10, 2006, 11:42 »
And here I sit, 2.5 months later, in Goose Creek, SC.

Once I get my own computer hooked up, I'll get on some more.  Just had to drop the line in!

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #26 on: Aug 11, 2006, 07:25 »
I just love a story with a happy ending.  :'(

;D ;D ;D

Thank you for your service!
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Navy2B

Grats!
« Reply #27 on: Aug 11, 2006, 03:23 »
Congratulations DarkMesa8!

I too am waiting on a security waiver. I was at MEPS July 30th, but have until Feb 7 (about 6 months to your 3 months in DEP) plan on calling my recruiter (and his senior recruiter, same office) every two weeks about status. If I can get no response by end of august, I'll be calling my district Navy office in Pittsburgh and asking them who the Nuclear Field coordinator is for this area.

I was told it would take a month, but from your posts it can take longer. Fortunately, I have longer in DEP than you did to figure it all out.

For those of you in here, is this appropriate behaviour for me to do?
« Last Edit: Aug 11, 2006, 03:25 by Navy2B »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?