Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Doug Coen
honeypot

Author Topic: Doug Coen  (Read 9979 times)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Doug Coen
« on: Jul 22, 2001, 11:37 »
Doug Coen died of cancer, at home. He had been working at PVNGS as a contractor when the cancer was diagnosed (throat) and he underwent surgery and therapy. His friends rallied and got him home only to return months later for his funeral in Mississippi. His wife said Doug passed away while watching a thunderstorm out the window of his bedroom.

To Whom It May Concern:

I was reading the Memorials and saw the name Doug Cohen and wondered if
someone in fact meant Doug COEN (that they did). Doug was a close and dear
friend of mine and I for one would like to see his name spelled correctly (I
was hoping in time for St. Paddy's Day).
The name "COEN" is very Irish while the name " Cohen" is well, lets just say
not Irish.
St. Patrick's Day just isn't quite the same without him. We had a lot of
good and funny times. I am sure that all that knew Doug have warm memories
of him and will say a toast to him on this day.
Bless you Doug may you rest in peace. HAPPY SAINT PATRICK'S DAY buddy.....
we all miss you.

Bob Spillane
« Last Edit: Jan 22, 2004, 01:41 by Rennhack »

moodusjack

Re: Doug Coen
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2002, 12:12 »
Doug and I went house-mouse at Pilgrim the same day in 85.  Have some good memories about him.  He was the individual who told me the entertaining story that I posted about [him] needing his hair cut at the request of D.S. at Hatch [involves laying really still and letting a mortician cut the har].  He called me a couple of months before he passed and sent me a letter.  I lost the letter, but remember him.

raymcginnis

« Reply #2 on: Aug 21, 2004, 04:09 »
I just saw this one posted.  I was one of the people who rallied around Doug.  I drove him to all of his Onocologist appointments, as well as his chemo and radiation treatments.

I first met him at Beaver Valley in the early 80's.  He seemed abrasive to me then, so we did not get close, because of my tendancies towards early judgement back then.

At Palo Verde, in 1989-1990, when he got stricken, I began to talk to him, heart to heart and found that he was just a wonderful and kind and very loving person.  I had no trouble understanding him through his throat vibrator.  We became great friends.

His children came to Arizona and I got to meet them all.  It was a wonderful experience!  Alas, right before he passed, Doug had asked his family to ask me to be a pall bearer for him.  I had just gotten a lay off notice from a 40 hour per week job.  I did not have the money.

Now that I think back on it, I should have sold something for the ticket.  I was young and foolish back then.

Doug was a great man.  I should have been there for him.

Now though, I have forgiven myself.  I still think of him often.  He taught me alot about going through hard times and personal judgement back then.  I still pray for Doug's family.  Being with him during his cancer treatment was one of the best experiences of my life.  I'll never forget him or his family.

Here's to Doug!  I know that he appreciates strawberries in Heaven (he was never a swine).  People who know him will understand that last statement.

lildoug

« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2007, 12:43 »
I did a Google search for Doug Coen and found this site. I am Doug Jr. Some of you I have met while my dad was in Pheonix. My dad had some wonderful friends. I don't want to mention that woman's name but I still remember when y'all gave him Beaureguard after the "R" woman ran off with his bulldog Beaureguard. That was so special to him. My dad was a proud man and honorable Marine who loved his English Bulldog. Thank you for taking him to all his doctor appts. I'm not sure if you did that in AZ or in Richmond while he was in Smithfield, VA. My submarine pulled into Norfolk just at the right time. I took him from the hospital there and drove him to Mississippi......his final resting place. Thank all of you for your kind words and all your help with him. He loved all his friends.
Douglas Coen Jr.

raymcginnis

« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2007, 12:25 »
Thank all of you for your kind words and all your help with him. He loved all his friends.
Douglas Coen Jr.

Doug Jr.  It is time that you and I communicate once more.  Remember when all you kids came to Phoenix?  Your Dad insisted that I play guitar for all of you guys.  He said that it was a moral imperative.  I was resistant and embarassed, yet I did it.  That was one of the hardest things that I ever did, but it was fun, I have to say.  I'll never forget the look on Doug Senior's face when I started playing guitar.  His face just lit up and inspired me to keep playing.

You can get in touch with me here: http://www.raymcginnis.net/Request.aspx

From there we can exchange fond memories through email and then I'll call you.

urtall1

« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2007, 09:40 »
Sorry to hear about Doug.  I worked with him I think at Pilgrim and at VC summer if I remember correctly, or hatch.  rest in peace Doug.

Dale Weber or Big D

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?