Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu EX-Nuc Looking for Advice
honeypot

Author Topic: EX-Nuc Looking for Advice  (Read 5952 times)

Offline ChiefRocscooter

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
EX-Nuc Looking for Advice
« on: Feb 28, 2006, 10:51 »
First a little background.  I am a current EMC(SW/SS) (conventional type) with 16+ yrs experience, my first 6 yrs I was a Nuc ET (made it to second class) qualified both RO and SRO on SSN (674).  Had my NEC pulled for discplinary reasons (short story I got screwed, long story I made mistake and was scape goat for some else's bigger problem) at 5 yr point (1989).  Kept nose clean and put in to get it back but after SUBLANT said yes (I havbe copy of letter(, head shead in DC said NO.  So I went to work being squared away sailor.  Have had stellar carear since then with all the awards and such (top recruiter in recruiting district, EOOW letter on 600# LHD plant which is rare for EM's, LCPO of large 40 person Division, Fleet inspector for ATG Atlantic with 4206NEC, and now serving with boat team in Nav Spec War command as ENG DEPT LCPO). I am attending TCC and I am almost done with AS in ENG (which allows me to transfer to ODU as an advanced Junior in ME or EE programs).
Now for the questions?
1) Would the Civilian nuclear world look at me for jobs? What would they be? Pay?
2) Because of the classes I have taken, I am 4 classes from Excelisors ABET accredited BS NET degree, would it do me any good in civilian nuc world given my past.
3) What suggestions would you make for what I should do in the approx 1 year I have remaining (will be retiring at 23.5 next year, sooner if right job came along.
4) If I get the excellsior degree I could go into ODU MS ENG Management program but not sure if this would be as good as just getting straight EE degree.
5) Current thoughts are to finish AS at TCC the go to school for couple years after I retire and get EE (wife not crazy about but we can afford it (she smart have good job!!!)).
Long winded yes , but hey I was a recruiter.  Any advice would be welcome and I would love to hear what my options might be.  (as many of you know it seems a little scarry after 20 year to not know what the next gig will be).
Thanks
Being adept at being adaptable I look forward to every new challenge!

Fermi2

Re: EX-Nuc Looking for Advice
« Reply #1 on: Mar 01, 2006, 03:08 »
I had two guys on my shift at my old plant who had been denuked. Provided it wasn't for something like drugs the commercial industry doesn't really care. Both were good operators and that's what we cared about.

Mike

shovelheadred

« Reply #2 on: Mar 01, 2006, 03:11 »
.....Roscoe....I was an ELT..20+ years ago I got out....the business has definetly changed, and changed again,,,,but now with Framatome, GE and Westinghouse all scrambling with these new generation reactors, and the utilities anxious to build,,,with your ET quals,,,you are a prime candidate for an Operations job, or whatever you want...you were trained by the Best..probably trained some yourself...a degree always helps,,your training is good, but some paper to back it up will get you a manager's position someday...maintenance positions are also available, both inhouse and traveling....the pay..depends on what you want,,,most operator's..75K plus a year, with overtime...maintenance about the same...traveling including Perdiem(travel $$) you can make what you want, but the off time is GREAT,,,,,,so I am sure there are alot more recent EOAS sailors on this website that can help you...but that Paper , in the next year is a good bet..........red

visserjr

« Reply #3 on: Mar 02, 2006, 01:09 »
From what I understand, in the eighties(when Rickover was still around) you could sneeze on a panel and get denuked. Unfortunatley, in the last couple of years you could do some serios wrong and still make it. That being said, I would imagine that civ employers just care you passed power school and qualed RO. Just because you were denuked, shouldn't matter your foundatin was made in nuclear power.
John

M1Ark

« Reply #4 on: Mar 02, 2006, 10:21 »
Like everyone's saying... you can qualify for any position at a nuke power plant.  An entry level Operations job with no overtime is around 60k once qualified.  You probably should go for a leadership position in Operations with your experience (starting salary once qualified 110k).  Here is where you'll run into problems.  You have lots of leadership experience but none of it is nuclear leadership experience.  It will matter to most who see your resume.  It's not impossible to land an Ops Leadership job but your path will be harder than most.  I do however see you as a perfect fit in the I&C or Electrical maintenance departments as a supervisor.  Your nuke experience allows you to know the lingo and relate with the Operations folks and be effective as a maintenance supervisor. 

I've screened resumes for navy nukes we wanted to hire in the past and saw several hundred resumes for 6 positions. Your situation would have looked like a liability.  However, your resume geared for a maintenance position would put your nuclear experience as an asset.

My .02 cents

Offline ChiefRocscooter

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #5 on: Jul 07, 2006, 11:13 »
Sorry for thanking you sooner but I have been busy.  (life on active duty can keep you away some times).  But thank you no the less.  I have decided to get the Excelisor (ABET) degree and see what my options are.  I would like to get in at Mcguire or Catwaba if possible, I have family in the area and like the living there.  If not there I have noticed that Dominion has been advertiosing for Surry a lot lately, I will come on the market in about late Feb so hopefully interviewing in DEC/JAN and will get an offer.  All else fails I keep going to school and get EE.

Rob
Class 8503
Being adept at being adaptable I look forward to every new challenge!

visserjr

« Reply #6 on: Jul 26, 2006, 04:53 »
Just food for thought. I hear that Oconee may be hiring 20 people in January. Beautiful place.

John

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?