Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Will The Navy Screw Me Over??

Author Topic: Will The Navy Screw Me Over??  (Read 53365 times)

dpalm2

Re: Will The Navy Screw Me Over??
« Reply #75 on: Mar 09, 2006, 01:57 »
To say that I'm not serious about being a Navy officer is unfair.  I may not know everything it entails, but no one does until they are actually carrying out their duties.  I've been considering military service since high school and just never found an "in", or program, that i found worthwhile/interesting.  I'm not considering joining on an as-needed basis, this doesn't hold me back any though. If I want to join just because I want to, I see nothing wrong with that.

So what your saying is that if I get into NUPOC/sign a contract, finish my degree and do a good job of it, I will almost certainly be commissioned as an officer as long as I am judicious about carrying out my duties?

Dave 

Fermi2

« Reply #76 on: Mar 09, 2006, 03:04 »
I doubt he meant you weren't serious. I think what he meant to say is before you make a commitment make darn sure it's what you really want to do. Once you're in it doesn't matter what you want or feel committed to, it only matters what the Navy feels you are committed to.

Mike

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #77 on: Mar 09, 2006, 03:49 »
That's right.  I never said "not serious".  I said that you seemed to be less than enthusiastic.  That's pretty normal considering that they came to you first.  It's not as if you are hell bent on being a Navy officer at any cost.  If you were too enthusiastic, I'd be worried about you.  That would indicate that you might have been too easily sold.  When someone offers you a good deal, it is a wise and prudent course to investigate and think on it for a while.  Being slightly skeptical, as you are, shows that you are weighing the possibilities.  You are much les apt to be disappointed in any case than those guys who log on here and say stuff like "I'm going to enlist Navy Nuke so I can get to be an officer.  My recruiter told me that all nukes get to be officers, ...etc., etc."
As far as the contract goes, they will do what they say, if you do what they ask.  NUPOC is absolutely NOT a back-alley scheme to lure you into the enlisted ranks by promising you a commission that they don't intend to deliver.  They have every intention of pinning gold bars on your collar, but you have to do your part to earn them.  Anyone you might have heard of who didn't make the cut was probably looking for a free ride.  I wouldn't worry about any medical/physical problems either.  If you are not fit enough to become an officer, chances are that you won't be fit enough to be an enlisted man either.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

visserjr

« Reply #78 on: Mar 10, 2006, 10:41 »
Dpalm,

I have to say, listen to Beercourt and Brodzilla. From my experience the two of them, and a select few others give the best and most insightfull words of wisdom. I have had many questions answered well by these two, and have watched as many others were led to the light. I am not kissing anyone's ass here, but truthfully they always seem helpfull and right on. Before getting woried about things like your level of seriousness, carefully read there advice as if it was from your Father or an inspired teacher.

Rad Sponge

« Reply #79 on: Mar 10, 2006, 11:18 »
 :-*

visserjr

« Reply #80 on: Mar 10, 2006, 12:35 »
And of course how could I forget the extremley powerfull and all knowing HP to the stars JMK. If I left you out it was because you save the best for last. 8)

Rad Sponge

« Reply #81 on: Mar 10, 2006, 01:37 »
 ;)

Fermi2

« Reply #82 on: Mar 10, 2006, 03:37 »
I actually read Beer Court, PWHoppe, JMK, and Hydro Daves posts to get info.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?