Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Darryl Kokochak

Author Topic: Darryl Kokochak  (Read 10387 times)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Darryl Kokochak
« on: Jul 22, 2001, 08:08 »
Rennhack  
Darryl Kokochak  Posted 3-26-2000 04:08  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sources have reported that Darryl Kokochak got stabbed 30 times (and died) while at point beach or in the area. Does anyone have further information/confirmation on this?

snake77@fastdial.net [guest]  
Re: Darryl Kokochak  Posted 3-28-2000 05:42  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If so, sorry to hear it. Darryl is always fun to work with and a good hard worker whenI've worked with him

lrunge2525@aol.com [guest]  
Re: Darryl Kokochak  Posted 3-28-2000 21:55  

I am at Kewaunee and some folks here said that he was not at Point Beach when this happened but back at home in Minn. It is true though. Sorry.

GBuchan@cablecomm-pa.com [guest]  
Re: Darryl Kokochak  Posted 4-5-2000 16:14  

yes he was stabbed don't know how many times but Darryl was killed after he left Point Beach, for more information the police in his home town or the area papers could give you more info. I know the police arrested a few people in connection with his murder but that is all I can tell you.

frankhart from BBS.NukeWorker.com  
missed  Posted 1-31-2001 16:29  

HE was a very good friend of mine and i will miss him dearly. I wish i could thank him again for the hunting trip and the good times we had. He was a good man, and i have suffered a great lost now that he is gone. Frank D Hart III

Ringleader

Re: Darryl Kokochak
« Reply #1 on: Aug 28, 2001, 12:02 »

I only worked with Darryl once (V.C. Summer), but thought that he was a good guy. He will be missed.

Gary Conner

Bob

« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2002, 07:58 »
Is the same Kokochak that worked at Davis-Besse as a deconner in 1990 or 91?

jjordan

« Reply #3 on: Feb 26, 2002, 02:50 »
Bob,
Yes I believe that this was the deconner from Davis Besse,
I also worked several other sites with him: Fermi several times, and I think Calvert Cliffs. He also had an older brother in the buisiness, his name was Dave. Darryl was a good worker, and entertaining also. It's a shame that this happened, he is missed by all that knew him! :'(

Bob

« Reply #4 on: Aug 24, 2004, 11:23 »
I have a little story about Kokochak I'll share with everyone. It happened at Besse.
I'd put it on tonight but it's already way past my bed time.

Bob

« Reply #5 on: Aug 26, 2004, 08:06 »
Anyhow, one Saturday morning Darryl showed up on top of the east D-Ring at Besse. He had been sent up to do some deconning on some major component from the refuel floor. I don't remember what it was but it was massive and highly contaminated.

Well, Darryl had been out the night before and was highly hung over. He told me he didn't think he could do the job because he didn't think he could wear a respirator without getting sick.

Well I told Darryl that sometimes a respirator could help you sweat your way out of the hangover and I had a suggestion for him that might help him get a few ZZZZZZZZ's at the same time.

Darryl had to crawl under whatever it was he was deconning and lay on his back to do the job. I suggested he bring a roll of duct tape in with him and tape his hand holding on to a rag to the bottom of the platform. I said that way if someone comes around it will look like you're deconning.

Darryl thought it sounded  like a plan and I handed him a roll of nuclear grade duct tape.

Well about a half hour later Darryl's supervisor was doing a containment walkdown and asked me if Darryl was deconning the massive structure that would soon be returning to the refuel floor. I pointed over to Darryl and said there he is. Well. the guy looked, was satisfied and off he went.

About 15 minutes later the guy came walking by again, looked at Darryl and kept on going. I thought things were going okay for Darryl at that point.

Well sonuvagun, an hour later here comes the dude again and I'm thinking, cripes it Saturday morning hardly anyone is here today what's this guy's problem.
Unfortunately, for Darryl, this guy wasn't nearsighted and he finally figured out that Darryl hadn't moved from the same spot in over an hour. The guy looked at me and immediately started screaming he's not working, he's sleeping in there! He hasn't moved from that spot in over an hour!

I had to control my laughter but I knew Darryl had already screwed up once duing the outage (trying to do a good job) and I figured this was probably going to get him either fired or on the next available layoff list. I think about a week later Darryl was layed off.
So listen up all you deconners. Pay attention to your HP techs. You never know when one of them may have seen something at another plant that can "help" you out in a time of need. ;)
« Last Edit: Aug 26, 2004, 08:14 by Bob »

garyconner

« Reply #6 on: Mar 08, 2005, 09:35 »
 :( :'(
From a Virginia Newspaper:

VIRGINIA -- Roy Olson took the stand again to testify about Darryl Kokochak's murder -- but on Friday, it was at Michael Staunton's trial.

Olson testified for the prosecution this time about what his role was and how events occurred, as he recalled it, up to and on Nov. 23, 1999, when Kokochak was slain in his Mountain Iron home.

Much of his recounting had been given in his own trial in December, when he had taken the stand then.

Olson, 27, formerly of Virginia, told the court Friday about his first contacts with Staunton, and the growing number of times the two got together in November 1999 up until Kokochak's murder.

The contacts included a few tows, several visits by Staunton to Olson at his part-time bouncer's job at a Virginia bar, requests by Olson to Staunton to look for a new job for him if he needed it, meetings at bars for several drinks and increasing socializing between the two in the fall, at a Duluth supper club and a pay-per-view TV boxing match at a facility.

The relationship led even to a shared billing. "Staunton gave me a cell phone to use,'' Olson related, through questioning by St. Louis County Assistant County Attorney Gordon Coldagelli.

Staunton, 41, of Cotton, faces four first-degree murder charges in Kokochak's death: with premeditation, and while attempting to commit burglary, kidnapping and tampering with a witness. He has pleaded not guilty. Olson, a former co-defendant, was convicted in December of one count of first-degree manslaughter, but was acquitted of three murder charges. He will be sentenced Jan. 29.

Olson described buying a handgun from a co-worker in late July 1999 and Staunton allegedly taking it the same afternoon when he stopped by Staunton's place. The next time he saw the gun, kept in a red bag, was Nov. 23, 1999, by trash cans inside his apartment when he found Staunton there, he said.

He went to a Mountain Iron bar-restaurant with the gun in the truck, as he was going to ask Staunton about why he got it back, Olson told the court. At the bar, he had several beers while Staunton and a friend he did not know, later identified as Brian McClure, played pool.

The three left, as Staunton got into Olson's truck, with nothing in his hands that he saw, Olson testified. The gun in the bag was on the passenger side by the transmission hump. He was expecting to go help the two on what he was told was a repossession, and expected to drop the two off there, he added.

Instead, he parked his truck and walked down the driveway to a house, later identified as Kokochak's. McClure knocked on the door, Kokochak answered, Staunton allegedly grabbed Kokochak and the gun, in Staunton's right hand, went off, Olson testified. Staunton was tussling with Kokochak. "He was calling him a snitch,'' Olson said of Staunton.

Previous testimony by investigators had set that Kokochak, an occasional cocaine user, had given a statement to police on Staunton's alleged drug sales.

Olson separated the two, but later Kokochak was being slammed against a wall, he said. At one point he ran down the driveway and heard a bullet whizzing past his ear. Staunton allegedly was pointing the gun at him and "telling me to get back or else he was going to kill me,'' Olson told the court.

Staunton was "out of control'' and was "ranting and raving,'' with Kokochak, he said. At one point he told him to hold down Kokochak on the ground, he added.

After allegedly tying Kokochak's hands with a "zip strip,'' Staunton opened the basement door, "grabbed Darryl Kokochak and (whipped) him down the stairs,'' Olson said. He drew a diagram of the porch of Kokochak's house on a large easel, at one point standing about five feet from Staunton, who watched the diagramming.

Kokochak was grabbed and pulled by Staunton, who still had the gun in his hand, Olson related. He did not try and run, as "I honestly thought he would kill me,'' he said.

The two moved to the right in the basement, then the next time he saw them, he saw Kokochak fall. He did not see the gun then, but "I saw (Michael) Staunton had a knife in his right hand,'' Olson said, becoming emotional. He tried running upstairs, but Staunton knocked him down, standing over him with the knife, with blood on it, near his face. Staunton called him "stupid,'' and allegedly threatened his family, he said.

They left the residence, got in the truck and McClure was dropped off. Staunton was let off at the Mountain Iron bar, and he drove home, with Staunton following. Once home, he locked the doors, he told the court. In the days following he talked with Staunton a number of times, but did not call police.

He was pulled over for a drunken driving test when coming home early Nov. 27, 1999, and later that day was arrested and charged in Kokochak's murder. He told some of the truth, but also was lying then, he said.

In a March 28, 2000, statement to investigators, he told the truth about what happened from then on, he said in court.

Coldagelli asked, as his final question, who killed Kokochak. "Michael Staunton,'' Olson replied.

Staunton's defense attorney, Daniel Mohs, cross-examined Olson, starting with how Olson had given some of the truth, but had lied, in his early statements. After going over some of his testimony, Mohs remarked that he seemed to remember clearly specific details of the different times he was with Staunton.

"I had a lot of time to think about it,'' Olson, held in jail for more than 13 months now, replied.

Mohs went back over some of the statements about the handgun Olson had made, as well how the console in his truck operated when up or down. Olson was questioned by him about the time he spent going home from work at 3 p.m. in Virginia, dropping a snowmobile off at his grandparents' place, giving some money for kids' clothing to his family, going back home and out to the Mountain Iron bar by 4:30 p.m.

At another point Mohs made a comment doubting some of Olson's testimony, which Judge James Florey ordered stricken from the record after Coldagelli objected.

Florey told jurors that testimony was expected to wind up next Wednesday, and the case go to them for deliberations by Thursday.

Testimony resumes at 9 a.m. Monday.

garyconner

« Reply #7 on: Mar 08, 2005, 09:46 »
From a Minnesota Paper:

Man arraigned in Mountain Iron homicide

VIRGINIA (AP) -- A Cotton man accused of killing a Mountain Iron man in a drug-related incident was arraigned Wednesday in St. Louis County District Court on first-degree murder charges.

A grand jury indicted Michael Jon Staunton and his alleged accomplice Roy Lee Olson last week on four counts of first-degree murder. Darryl Geza Kokochak, 34, was found stabbed to death Nov. 23 in the basement of his Mountain Iron home, allegedly for snitching on Staunton's alleged drug dealing .

According to the St. Louis County Sheriff's Department, Kokochak had made incriminating statements about Staunton and bought drugs from him for police. Staunton faced drug charges in April 1999, in part because of Kokochak's cooperation, according the criminal complaint.

A witness told police he watched as Staunton and Olson attacked the victim. The witness said he saw Staunton with a bloody knife.

Olson was arraigned Monday. Both men were already charged with second-degree murder and are being held in the St. Louis County Jail.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?