Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Electrician getting out after 9 honeypot

Author Topic: Electrician getting out after 9  (Read 8116 times)

emruss

Electrician getting out after 9
« on: Mar 05, 2006, 12:12 »
My name is Russ, and I am getting out after 9 and a half years in.  I was wondering if you all could tell me what like is like as a Learner Operator?  I just did Duke's phone pre-assesment, and am waiting for them to call me.

Thanks

shayne

Re: Electrician getting out after 9
« Reply #1 on: Mar 05, 2006, 01:13 »
I believe that the learner operator position is a non-licensed operator.  Search the site for NLO, non licensed operator or auxiliary operator.

If working in a Commercial Nuclear Power Plant is what you want to do, consider most job openings that you think that you are qualified for.  Sometimes just getting hired into a company is difficult and it may open up many other positions that are not posted outside the company.  Some companies only hire new operators every fuel cycle which could be 18 or 24 months.  That is a long time to sit around waiting for an opening, but during that time you could have taken an Electrical or I&C maintenance position.

emruss

« Reply #2 on: Mar 05, 2006, 02:39 »
Right, NLO is what I applied for.  They sent me an email and said they had reviewed my resume and would like me to do the pre-assesment.  I did that and now I am waiting for them to call me, supposed to be this comeing friday.  I was just trying to find out from any NLO's out there, what life is like while you are going through training and then once you are qualified.

I have already read in other threads what the schedule is like once you are qualified.  Can anyone tell me what it is like while you are still training?  Also, how long are you in training before you are qualified?  I don't know anyone that has gotten out and gone to work at a plant, so I have no clue what it is like to work for one.

Thanks

Fermi2

« Reply #3 on: Mar 16, 2006, 04:00 »
Average time in school and qualifying is anywhere from 40 some weeks to 70 some weeks.

During class it's 40 hour weeks, either 5 eights or 4 tens.

Has Duke contacted you yet??

Mike

emruss

« Reply #4 on: Mar 16, 2006, 07:59 »
No, when I took the "phone" test it asked which day was good to call, so I told them Friday (I was taking the test on a Thurs).  This Friday will be the third Friday since the test, so I'm not sure if they are still interested or what.  I guess only time will tell. 

Do any of you have any experience with other types of power plants (i.e. fossil fuel and hydro)?  I know this is a "nuke" based forum, but have any of you left the nuke world and gotten any other jobs out there, if so, what kind?

Thanks for the info!

Fermi2

« Reply #5 on: Mar 16, 2006, 08:56 »
Yepper, When I was a Non Licensed Operator at Fermi I worked my days off at a dirt burner in Ohio. I worked as a control panel operator and got a First Class Engingeers License from the State Of Ohio.

What do you want to know?

Mike

emruss

« Reply #6 on: Mar 16, 2006, 09:27 »
Well so far I have a few job possibilities (no full offers yet, mostly at the beginning of the process for each).  One is with the Grand Coulee Dam Hydro plant as an operator, one is with Eaton working maintenance on their power distribution equipment, and one for Nikon working as a field engineer on semiconductor manufacturing machines (optical lithography). 

I'm looking for a job that will offer the best growth for my career in the long run.  What I mean by that, is a job that will open up more avenues for future employment if I don't like the job I get, one that will allow for a good level of progression within the company, and one where I won't be on rotating shift work for the rest of my life.  I'm not concerned with making a large amount of money in the beginning, but a comfortable amount for a one income family with kids.  I also want to stay away from the largest of cities due to high costs of living.

Any info would be appreciated!

Fermi2

« Reply #7 on: Mar 17, 2006, 12:23 »
As an operator count on rotating shifts for at least 15 years.

Mike

shayne

« Reply #8 on: Mar 17, 2006, 12:30 »
I have worked as Startup Engineer on combined cycle power plants, worked at Fermi Nuclear Power Plant, and now I do design engineering on hydro and gas turbine plants.  I enjoy the engineering aspect of working in power plants better than performing operator job.  I also know a guy at Grand Coulee if would like to know more about it.  Send me a message if you are interested.

Shayne
« Last Edit: Mar 17, 2006, 12:37 by Shayne »

LaFeet

« Reply #9 on: Mar 17, 2006, 04:52 »
I chose the other path.  I had had enough time at the panel in my Navy time.  So I went on as a RadTech... and I have loved every moment to date.

Dorri732

« Reply #10 on: Apr 29, 2006, 11:12 »
Russ,

Which plant?  I started last year with Duke at Oconee.  It was about 3 months after the phone assessment that they called me.  If you have any specific questions, PM me.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?