Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Looking for SE Region Info

Author Topic: Looking for SE Region Info  (Read 8201 times)

Offline War Eagle

• Moderate User
  • PWR SRO
Looking for SE Region Info
« on: Mar 05, 2006, 09:46 »
Hello All,
I'm a nuke-O considering retirement and I would like to talk to anyone with experience at Oconee or Vogtle. I'm interested in basic shift-work schedules, starting pay compared to the average, and any info on instant SRO programs they may offer.

Thanks,
Joe

bbishop

Re: Looking for SE Region Info
« Reply #1 on: Mar 05, 2006, 10:48 »
I'm a Chief getting out next month.  I talked to the Operations recruiter at Oconee, Rick Robinson, a few weeks ago. He said they no longer have an instant SRO program.  He said all that he could offer was NLEO which starts at around $25/hr.  FPL and Progress are looking for instants.  FPL has classes starting soon at St. Lucie and Turkey Point.  Progress is looking for instants at Crystal River and Hartsville.  You can post your resume on their websites.  FPL's instant SRO position is posted under Unit Supervisor.  I'm not sure about Votgle.  I haven't seen any postings for that plant on Southern Company's webpage.  I don't think they do instant classes either.  Most plants do 12 hour shiftwork but you only work more than 4 days in a week if your in a shutdown.  Starting pay for instant SRO is around $90K.

Fermi2

« Reply #2 on: Mar 05, 2006, 11:05 »
I'm a Chief getting out next month.  I talked to the Operations recruiter at Oconee, Rick Robinson, a few weeks ago. He said they no longer have an instant SRO program.  He said all that he could offer was NLEO which starts at around $25/hr.  FPL and Progress are looking for instants.  FPL has classes starting soon at St. Lucie and Turkey Point.  Progress is looking for instants at Crystal River and Hartsville.  You can post your resume on their websites.  FPL's instant SRO position is posted under Unit Supervisor.  I'm not sure about Votgle.  I haven't seen any postings for that plant on Southern Company's webpage.  I don't think they do instant classes either.  Most plants do 12 hour shiftwork but you only work more than 4 days in a week if your in a shutdown.  Starting pay for instant SRO is around $90K.

TRUST me on this one, if you're an SRO you'll work plenty of weeks longer than 4 days even when you aren't shutdown.

Mike

Offline War Eagle

• Moderate User
  • PWR SRO
« Reply #3 on: Mar 05, 2006, 12:45 »
Thanks for the replies.  I'm 2.5 years away from retirement and highly desire a job in that area.  I'm not ready to talk with Duke, but what would be the best way to get a foot in the door at Oconee? A little about me; I'm a former RO who went officer and served as a submarine new construction engineer most recently.  My vision is to start in ops and work my way to management.

shayne

« Reply #4 on: Mar 05, 2006, 01:06 »
I would also consider that if Operations is your long-term goal, do not feel too proud to start at a NLO level.  The money is good, but it will help with an operational background of commercial nuclear power plant. 
I imagine that with your previous RO experience it made you a better officer.  Also, in some cases any job opening that is offered outside the company is a good foot in the door.  Many of the better company jobs are filled from within.

Fermi2

« Reply #5 on: Mar 05, 2006, 01:13 »
Well since Duke doesn't seem to be making the mistake of hiring Instants directly out of the Navy here's what I'd do.

Hire in as an NLO. Go to NLO school and qualify as an NLO. About the time you're done with this you'll meet the experience requirement to be selected for SRO, plus you'll have much of the training and ground level knowledge you'll need.

Then when an SRO bid comes up bid it, you'll already have your degree, you'll be retired military and you'll have in plant experience which gets you a LOT of respect, provided you don't try to apply the Navy brand of "Leadership"

If the cards play our right it might take you 2 years, 3 at the most.

War Eagle or SMISH, you are both welcome to call me at my house. If you desire to do so just PM me, I'll give you my phone number.

Mike
« Last Edit: Mar 05, 2006, 01:25 by Broadzilla »

Offline War Eagle

• Moderate User
  • PWR SRO
« Reply #6 on: Mar 07, 2006, 09:03 »
Broadzilla,
I can't thank you enough for the help and advice you gave me offline.  If you're ever in New York, let me know; I owe you a beer or two.

Joe
« Last Edit: Mar 07, 2006, 09:05 by War Eagle »

Fermi2

« Reply #7 on: Mar 07, 2006, 09:11 »
Anytime man, I enjoyed the conversation. You have my number, feel free to use it! WE'll have to hook up for that beer.

Mike

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?