Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Great bubble hood replacement - Hurricane Hoods

Author Topic: Great bubble hood replacement - Hurricane Hoods  (Read 13734 times)

HighRad

Hello,

Sorry, for the repetitive postings. I also posted this on the Anti-contamination Suit topic but I think it is important that everyone knows what equipment is out in the industry that will protect our workers from heat stress and keep them productive so they can get the job done and get out of the area.

I have a new solution for bubble hoods, Delta Suits, and powered visors. It is called a Hurricane Hood. We used them last outage season for steam generator nozzle dam installation at Vogtle and Diablo Canyon. They were also used for cavity decontamination at Diablo Canyon. We did not have any heat stress issues or PC events. The great thing about them is they provide the user with lots of air (33 CFM) which is more than the PAPR Delta Suit and 5 times more air than power visors or PAPRs WITHOUT any hoses and breathing air system.

There are 2 models: Category 2 (CAT-2) and Category 3 (CAT-3).

The CAT-3 is perfect for steam generator entries……yes, I said steam generator entries! I would like to see you get through a 16” S/G manway with a PAPR on! They have a high speed blower on the top of the hood that blows filtered air down the front of the hood (great for defogging!) and into the suit for cooling. This model can also be supplied with a wireless color camera so you can monitor the actual work the worker is performing. It is a good ALARA solution for limiting HP coverage in certain areas and can be used for QA monitoring of the actual work activities too so they do not need to be in the area.

The CAT-2 uses the same high flow blower and filter system as the CAT-3. The CAT-2 is mounted on the upper back like a back pack and weighs less than 2 lbs. The air is blown from the back of the hood down the front of the hood and into the suit for cooling. This model is great for control rod drive maintenance, cavity decon, etc. The CAT-3 can actually be configured as a CAT-2 by removing 2 thumbscrews for the blower unit and attaching it to the belt pack for the CAT-2.

They are sold as anti-contamination devices like power visors and not as respirators.

There is a lot more information on the website including brochures, pictures, and news: www.RadiumInc.com

Offline PWHoppe

• Forum Staff
  • CONFIRMED!: The dumbest man on the planet
Re: Great bubble hood replacement - Hurricane Hoods
« Reply #1 on: Mar 10, 2006, 12:49 »
What kind of money are we talking about for these units and I assume they are reusable, correct?
« Last Edit: Mar 10, 2006, 12:50 by PWHoppe »
If a chicken and a half can lay an egg and a half in a day and a half, how many days will it take a grasshopper with a rubber foot to kick a hole in a tin can?

Forum rules..http://www.nukeworker.co

HighRad

« Reply #2 on: Mar 10, 2006, 01:59 »
Prices for the actual units (and Yes, they are reusable) range between $400 to $600 depending on model, options, quantities, etc. The filters can be reused many times depending on loading and dose rates. The only truly consumable item is the containment hood which cost less than $30 each.

Scorpio51

« Reply #3 on: Mar 13, 2006, 04:40 »
What's the protection factor?

Also, how does the filter penetrate the PC/wet suit in the CAT-2 model that mounts on the back?

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #4 on: Mar 13, 2006, 05:19 »
Prices for the actual units (and Yes, they are reusable) range between $400 to $600 depending on model, options, quantities, etc. The filters can be reused many times depending on loading and dose rates. The only truly consumable item is the containment hood which cost less than $30 each.

Do you work for Radium?

astronuke

« Reply #5 on: Mar 13, 2006, 06:11 »
The brochure looked interesting, but I didn't see the magic words "NIOSH CERTIFIED".

HighRad

« Reply #6 on: Mar 14, 2006, 08:46 »
Yes, I do work for Radium.

Currently, Hurricane Hoods are sold as anti-contamination devices and as a personal cooling system and not as a respirator therefore, there is no assigned protection factor. They are designed to keep the nuclear worker’s dose ALARA and the individual cooler (and more productive). They obviously provide protection against particulates and have a proven record with no personal contamination events when used in mRAD areas such as inside the steam generator channel heads and inside the cavity.

Since Hurricane Hoods are not classified as respirators they are not NIOSH certified. There are several other devices used in the nuclear power industry that are utilized as anti-contamination devices that are also not NIOSH approved such as 3M’s Power Visors, Trend AirShield, Delta Suits, etc.

About the filter access on the back of the suit on the CAT-2 model, we provided a two piece (top and bottom) plastic suit. There are several different materials we can provide to very lightweight to heavy duty thicker materials. The top “shirt” part has an integrated bubble hood so after you put the power belt and backpack blower unit on (and turn it on!), you slip on the “shirt” or top part and align the hole on the blower unit and screw on the HEPA filter. You can also use the pants but they can also be optional depending on you contamination levels, etc.

Also worth noting, we have used the CAT-3 with a Wet-Pros (heavy-duty paper) suit for steam generator platform workers with the same success as the plastics.

I hope I answered your questions.

Zimmy

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2006, 08:44 »
Hey HighRAD,

Nice Paid political announcement here!

Actually, there were some pretty important safety and regulatory questions that were asked on this thread. Nice catch on the NIOSH question. But more importantly, when using devices, that have filters, it would be extremely prudent for licensees to insure that these units have received some sort of protection factor I would think? Hell, the units have filters on them for a reason, right. And if there particle filters, then there intention is to filter out radioactive contamination? Hence PF?

I prefer taking the safe route and looking at something that is certified. That way we're all covered.

Offline Piggyback Beta

• Light User
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2006, 11:38 »
" This model can also be supplied with a wireless color camera so you can monitor the actual work the worker is performing. It is a good ALARA solution for limiting HP coverage in certain areas and can be used for QA monitoring of the actual work activities too so they do not need to be in the area"

How well does the wireless camera work with wireless dosimetry?  Is it on a different frequency?  Or is there some interference?  For interference, do I have a choice of losing the camera instead of the electronic dosimetry?  The idea is great.  Implementation could be a problem.

HighRad

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2006, 12:14 »
" This model can also be supplied with a wireless color camera so you can monitor the actual work the worker is performing. It is a good ALARA solution for limiting HP coverage in certain areas and can be used for QA monitoring of the actual work activities too so they do not need to be in the area"

How well does the wireless camera work with wireless dosimetry?  Is it on a different frequency?  Or is there some interference?  For interference, do I have a choice of losing the camera instead of the electronic dosimetry?  The idea is great.  Implementation could be a problem.

The camera's wireless transmitter works in the 802.11B frequencies (WiFi /2.4 GHz ). The wireless transmitter has a channel selection option to avoid other transmitters (or other wireless Hurricane Hood cameras) in this band. The typical teledose transmitters I am familiar with operate in the 900 MHz Band which would not conflict with the 2.4 GHz band.

LaFeet

« Reply #10 on: Jun 03, 2007, 06:41 »
How durable are the suits?  Could they stand up to undervessel work?

Has the company performed and documented data for OSHA/NIOSH/NRC protection factors?

How much does each suit cost?

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #11 on: Jun 04, 2007, 12:33 »
Hey HighRAD,

Nice Paid political announcement here!

Actually, there were some pretty important safety and regulatory questions that were asked on this thread. Nice catch on the NIOSH question. But more importantly, when using devices, that have filters, it would be extremely prudent for licensees to insure that these units have received some sort of protection factor I would think? Hell, the units have filters on them for a reason, right. And if there particle filters, then there intention is to filter out radioactive contamination? Hence PF?

I prefer taking the safe route and looking at something that is certified. That way we're all covered.

Anything that flows air has a filter.  Look under the hood of your car.  Air filters - even HEPA filters - do not need an assigned protection factor if they are not used specifically as respiratory protection.  By now we have enough data to support the premise that there is not enough airborne contamination to require a PF.  Where there is airborne, you could either remove it, or use some other protective device.  If you can make channel head entries in a PowerVisor, you can use this suit.  The Visor has no PF either - even though there are HEPA filters in them.
NIOSH certification is necessary only for actual respirators.  For most applications that are traditionally associated with the bubble suit, this is just a waste of money.
Of course, if you insist on everything being certified, I assume you are a CHP.  Am I mistaken?
« Last Edit: Jun 04, 2007, 01:47 by BeerCourt »
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #12 on: Jun 06, 2007, 02:11 »
Face the facts, you only need an assigned (and certified) PF if you are taking credit for it to lower the dose - not the case for most facilities, i.e., power reactors,etc.  In most cases a "prospective evaluation" eliminates the necessity to "monitor" the dose from inhalation.  As a responsible professional, you "track" the potentional dose to prove that you didn't need to "monitor" for that year.
For those facilities in the fuel cycle (or medical community) that do have the situation in which inhalation/ingestion is the major contribuitor to the dose, then you have to rely on the PF, and that case NIOSH certification of the device and individual testing is only common protocol.
Just my 2 cents worth! ;D
Humor is a wonderful way to prevent hardening of the attitudes! unknown
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

RADHardened

« Reply #13 on: Jun 11, 2007, 09:52 »
I just saw on Nuclear Street http://nuclearstreet.com/files/folders/radium_inc/entry6.aspx that the suit is 8mils. That is pretty thick.

old_nuke_worker

« Reply #14 on: Sep 30, 2007, 11:42 »
 Whats the cost of the camera? How long will it last in a generator (eg. next to a tube sheet)? Most cheap cameras will die quickly in a generator.The blizzard effect. Even the good ones will pass away after being used a lot. On the jumpers view( what I've seen) is they would much prefer the Bubble hood over the Delta any day of the week. IMO the Delta "safety pull" comes undone way too easy which leads to a contaminated man. But it all comes down to the almighty $$$$ so the only choice these guys get is what site deems cost effective.
« Last Edit: Sep 30, 2007, 11:45 by old_nuke_worker »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?