Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Goin to NPTU NY...  

Author Topic: Goin to NPTU NY...  (Read 10460 times)

bigjer25

Goin to NPTU NY...
« on: Mar 11, 2006, 08:35 »
Well, I will be on my way to NPTU NY here is a few months (Mid JUNE).  I have never been that area of the country in my 10 years, and am in desperate need of knowledge of the area.  I am 0-1E >8 w/dep so my BAH is about $1500.  Where should I try to live so that my family can enjoy themselves, and where should I stay away from, i.e the "hood".  I keep trying to find places to rent online, but its like NPTU does not exist, there is no info anywhere.  I got the SITES package for NSU saratoga, but nothing for NPTU specific.  I have heard that there is 3/4 BR govt housing, can anyone confirm this?  Theh website only lists 2 br housing.
     To sum up, I am married with 2 young kids and am just looking for a clean, place that I can afford with enough room.
Please help.

shayne

Re: Goin to NPTU NY...
« Reply #1 on: Mar 11, 2006, 11:13 »
I remember the Navy Housing there in Saratoga Springs (zip 12866) as 2 bedroom townhouses.  That doesn't mean that they haven't expanded since I left.  There really isn't a 'hood' in the greater Saratoga Area.  If you can get the number of the Navy Housing there, they do have some of the best housing referals that I had seen during my time in the Navy.  They do keep it up to date and usually they have photos of most of the houses.  I would start by calling them to get more specific housing information.  Here is a link for Navy Housing Saratoga:  http://www.nsusaratogaspringshomes.com/ Other links: http://www.saratoga.org/

kwicslvr

« Reply #2 on: Mar 11, 2006, 03:59 »
I have the number to there family support center at work.  When I go in tomorrow I will get it for you and PM you with it.  Very nice area.  No real "bad" area to live in.

Sarpedon

« Reply #3 on: Mar 21, 2006, 08:09 »
I remember the Navy Housing there in Saratoga Springs (zip 12866) as 2 bedroom townhouses.  That doesn't mean that they haven't expanded since I left.  There really isn't a 'hood' in the greater Saratoga Area.  If you can get the number of the Navy Housing there, they do have some of the best housing referals that I had seen during my time in the Navy.  They do keep it up to date and usually they have photos of most of the houses.  I would start by calling them to get more specific housing information.  Here is a link for Navy Housing Saratoga:  http://www.nsusaratogaspringshomes.com/ Other links: http://www.saratoga.org/

I have lots of friends in Navy housing right now (I'm a student at NPTU Ballston Spa, currently senior class) and I wish I went there =P They take all of my BAH (I'm a single E-4, so BAH is ~$800) but you don't pay for any utilities and you get your own washer and dryer. I envy my friends =P I live in an apartment building in Saratoga Springs, and it isn't too bad... except I have to go to a laundromat to do laundry and I have to pay for utilities. Once again, I *highly* recommend navy housing in Saratoga Springs. This may be useful: http://www.nsusaratogaspringshomes.com/

May the force be with you :)

Offline cincinnatinuke

• Chemistry Technician CCNPP
  • Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #4 on: Mar 22, 2006, 03:44 »
To be honest with you I dont remember any officers in housing, either student or staff.  I am not trying to discourage you though, but all of the surrounding areas are beautiful.  So if you are an 0-1/E then Prototype will probably come pretty easy to you.  I'd recommend one of the farther off communities in the country, since it is unlikely you will be putting in longer than required days.  There are lots of laid back settings within 45 minutes of P-type, especially west of the site towards some of the lakes.  Even if you choose housing take a lot of drives all over the place.  Its a fun place to get lost.

osbel

« Reply #5 on: Apr 15, 2006, 07:49 »
The big advice I have for you is not to live too close to downtown.  The traffic there is pretty bad when it is warm and horrible during the track season (which will be soon after you move here).  As to officers in housing there are several that live in housing.  I currently live in housing and don't mind it.  I am only 15 min from the site, 5min to downtown and 15 min to the mall/wal-mart area.  Housing is also very pet friendly which is kinda hard to find out in town.  However since you have 2 children the units here may be a little cramped depending on their ages.  All they have here are 2 bedroom units but there is talk of converting some units into 3/4 bedroom ones in the near future.  If you have any other questions feel free to ask, I have been up here a few years and am transferring beginning of june.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #6 on: Apr 16, 2006, 12:08 »
I lived in Galway while I was there back in '89.  I loved it.  Out in the country though.  Beautiful.  Check it out if you don't need to be to close to the action. 

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?