Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Pre Employment screening

Author Topic: Pre Employment screening  (Read 9459 times)

tommybenson

Pre Employment screening
« on: Mar 18, 2006, 02:35 »
I have interviewed for a position in a nuclear plant. The interview went really well, and honestly I expect an offer in the next week or so. There were several little things in the interview that lead me to feel this way.

Anyways, I'm one year into a chapter 13 bankruptcy. I am wondering is this will prevent me from getting the job once the credit check is done. I am doing fine now financially and have no problems, but still, it will take time for my credit report to reflect this.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
Re: Pre Employment screening
« Reply #1 on: Mar 18, 2006, 04:35 »
If you're making the payments to the trustee as per the court's order, then there's no problem.  You are far better off from a security/reliability standpoint than someone who has insurmountable debt or is in default.
Bankruptcy does not always mean that someone was financially irresponsible.  Through the course of life, people acquire debt for many reasons; mortgage, car loan, furniture, medical bills... etc.  If you lose your job, or are confronted with a huge expense - such as a serious illness - debts that you were paying off can become impossible to bear.  That's why there are bankruptcy courts.
Sure, a lot of people spend too much with plastic because it's just too damn easy.  They get over their heads and have to resort to a chapter 13.  Others are just irresponsible and don't care.  Usually, you'll find that these people are "serial" filers.  They abuse the bankruptcy laws.
Even these people are not a risk to security.  They might not be able to manage money, but it doesn't mean that they are untrustworthy.
Someone who is driving a jag, with a stated income of $40k, or who has recently acquired property that they shouldn't be able to afford, is a problem.  Someone who passes a lot of rubber checks is a problem.  Someone with too much debt and DOESN'T file a bankruptcy is a potential problem. (they may be bought off or coerced into doing things to relieve the debt)
If you filed one chapter 13, and are paying as ordered, you need not worry much.  Now, if they find out about the stockpile of bootleg DVD's, moonshine, and knockoff Tommy Hilfiger gear you've been peddling....  Just kidding!
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

tommybenson

« Reply #2 on: Mar 18, 2006, 04:48 »
Thanks a lot.

Actually, my wife has Crohns disease and typically will visit the hospital twice per year for up to a week at a time. Well, one such episode hit us while I was unemployed and I got stuck with a LOT of bills. The additional bills made the credit cards unmanageable. There really were no problems before the medical bills added up.

I appreciate the answer and I hope the company looks at it the same way you do. I have been sweating this for a few days now wondering if it will matter. As I said, everything is just fine now..its just that my credit report hasnt caught up with things. Its still pretty bad.

I interviewed for a position and I have a really good feeling about it. I think I will get an offer really soon.

I havent worked nuke since the navy 12 yrs ago. I have been in fossil fuel since and I'm comfortable here..maybe too comfortable. The "challenge" has peaked. I want more challenge and I think going back nuke will give me that opportunity. I applied for an aux operator position.

Austria

« Reply #3 on: Mar 18, 2006, 06:48 »
If you're making the payments to the trustee as per the court's order, then there's no problem.  You are far better off from a security/reliability standpoint than someone who has insurmountable debt or is in default.

Beer Court is absolutely right. If you were still under a huge pile of bills and NOT in bankruptcy, you might be considered a risk. One reason for the credit check is to see if someone is in a position where they might be vulnerable to financial pressure such as a payoff for sensitive information regarding plant systems, operations, or security. The fact that you have filed for bankruptcy...(and the rate of "medical bankruptcy" as it is now known in the U.S. is climbing at an alarming rate)...shows a sense of financial responsibility on your side to take control of and rectify a problem.

Good luck with the job prospect!

tommybenson

« Reply #4 on: Apr 06, 2006, 01:33 »
How far back do they go anyway?
Not that I'm overly concerned with any findings...I dont have any with the exception of a little incident when I was 16. No drugs. Just kids being kids. I ask mostly because I am curious as to how long the background check will take.

alphadude

« Reply #5 on: Apr 06, 2006, 03:23 »
5 years and they use personal interviews with friends, equifax info and rank you on your FICA number.. so you have lots of room there.  If you had problems as an adult, busted by the po po, tell them. dont worry about stuff when you were a kid. part of the process is full disclosure on your forms.. i told them i was arrested as a spy in nigeria one time.. which i was.. didnt even slow down the process and i got badged.

tommybenson

« Reply #6 on: Apr 06, 2006, 05:20 »
So youre saying I'll be interviewed before they even do a search? Otherwise, how do I disclose it to them beforehand? Do I just warn them when they say theyre beginning the search or will there be an interview?

illegalsmile

« Reply #7 on: Apr 06, 2006, 09:16 »
if they decide to make you an offer, and you accept, they will do the background. These things cost money, so they don't do them unless there is a reason. Nothing you have told us so far will so much as raise an eyebrow. The important thing will be to be 120% honest with them.

alphadude

« Reply #8 on: Apr 07, 2006, 09:15 »
its all in the paperwork tommybenson

illegalsmile

« Reply #9 on: Apr 07, 2006, 09:33 »
the people interviewing you won't be the same people that do the background. They will probably mention at the interview that there will be a background and may ask if there is anything that may effect your ability to get a clearance. Be honest.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?