Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu USNA through Nuke Program Chances? honeypot

Author Topic: USNA through Nuke Program Chances?  (Read 9452 times)

omieschmomie

USNA through Nuke Program Chances?
« on: Apr 22, 2006, 03:26 »
Ok. before I get bashed or anything, I wanted to do Nuke before going to the Academy. I also got picked up for NROTC, and turned it down because I'm too immature at the moment to go to college. I feel a couple months in the Navy would do me some good. With that said,  aspire to maybe go to USNA one day. Definately NAPS if I have to go there too. I also know that my first goal is to own at Nuke School which I will do. Nuke First, USNA second. With that said, when can I apply for officer programs in the Navy as soon as possible?

A little about me

Race: Hispanic
-First Generation High School Graduate/College Student (Mom and Dad didn't go to college or high school)
-Poor Area/Bad Neighborhood
-Poor Family, Free Lunch..only child.
-My High School is really BAD. Almost 40% of students/graduates don't go on to college, located next to Newark,NJ..high gang activity/drugs.
-Always wanted to join the Navy..In fact, one of my main reasons for declining the NROTC scholarship was because I felt I had to "prove myself" to the Navy before I could just use other people's money.

Enlisted Job: Nuclear Engineer (Advanced Rating)
ASVAB Score: 91/99
High School GPA: 3.64/4.0
SAT1: 640 Verbal 540 Math
High School Ranking: Around 105 out of 936

School Positions/Clubs

• Captain/Founder of Elizabeth High School Debate Team
• Treasurer of the National Honor Society
• Appointed as City Engineer for City Government
• Student Government Elections Supervisor
• Captain of EHS Model United Nations Teams
• Vice President Chess Club
• President of Book Club
• Member of History Club
• Senior member of Key Club
• Secretary of Physics Club
• Student Advisor of Political Science Club
• Student Advisor of Psychology Club
• Secretary of Science Club
• Homeroom Class Representative (4 years)

Classes

• College: New Jersey Inst. Of Technology: Calculus
• Advanced Placement Calculus AB
• Advanced Placement Biology
• Advanced Placement English Literature
• Advanced Placement American History
• Honors Algebra, Geometry, Algebra 2
• Honors English 1, English 2, English 3
• Honors Advanced Science, Biology
• Chemistry /w Lab, Physics /w lab
• American Legal Systems, Psychology

Community Service

• Trinitas Hospital: Volunteered 200+ hours on Security/Reception
• National Multiple Sclerosis Society: City Ambassador
• National Multiple Sclerosis Society: MS Walk Volunteer
• American Cancer Association: Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Volunteer
• American Cancer Association: Captain of Elizabeth High School’s Relay for Life Team
• American Lung Association: Breathe Easy Walk For Life Volunteer
• Leukemia and Lymphoma Society: Light the Night Walk Volunteer Leader
• Habitat for Humanity of Greater Jersey City: Walk-a-Thon 2005 Event Volunteer
• National Nicodemus Wilderness Project: Apprentice Ecologist, cleaned up parks.
• City Hall: Volunteered and performed with MCJROTC on Veterans Day
• City Hall: Volunteered and performed with MCJROTC on Pearl Harbor Day
• City Hall: Earth Day Volunteer
• Elizabeth Police Dept: Police Explorers Cadet
• Elizabeth Navy Recruiting Office: Chief Petty Officer of Recruits

Awards

• Superintendent’s Scholar Awardee
• Principal’s Scholar Awardee
• Nominated for the All-American Math Award by the United States Achievement Academy
• Nominated for a 2006 NROTC Scholarship by the United States Navy
• Nominated to represent Elizabeth High School at the annual New Jersey State Debate Tournament
• Nominated to represent the New Jersey/New York/Delaware district in the National Forensics League annual National qualifier tournament
• 2nd Place Overall at Hanover, NJ for Public Forum Debate
• 5th Place Overall at Freehold, NJ for Public Forum Debate
• 3rd Place Overall for Security Council at Model United Nations Tournament
• Awarded Degree of Honor by the National Forensics League for excellence in debate
• 2005 Navy Delayed Entry Program Olympics Overall 1st Place

Sports: High School

• Tennis
• Wrestling

League Sports (earlier):

• North Elizabeth Youth Baseball Leauge
• Played for the All Star Team 3 Times Consecutively
• Played for the Traveling All Star Team 2 Times Consecutively
• Won District Championship, State Championships in Baseball
• Won All Star Award for NEYBL
• Nominated for League MVP

taterhead

Re: USNA through Nuke Program Chances?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 22, 2006, 04:46 »
Turned down NROTC?   ???

Here's a news flash:  Everyone is immature at 18.  Hell I know immature 30 year olds.  NROTC and NA bring you to the same place: a commission.  Just different vehicles for getting there.  As far as I can tell, the only difference in the fleet is that an academy grad will tell you that they are academy grads, and everyone else could care less.

However, to answer your question, I am pretty sure you can start on your NA package while in DEP.

Best of luck!
« Last Edit: Apr 22, 2006, 04:49 by taterhead »

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #2 on: Apr 22, 2006, 05:24 »
Did you check the Naval Academy Prep School? From your SAT, I would expect you to benefit. Look into that (before you go active duty); it also helps you into the Naval Academy.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #3 on: Apr 22, 2006, 10:02 »
Let me offer some fatherly advice...
Wake UP and get your head out of your a$$!!!!!!
A High school resume like yours does NOT read like an elinsted man in the making.
It is "intuitively obvious to the casual observer" that you are a doer.  Enlisted NPS is not an option for you.  You would be wasting your time.  You would be painfully aware of that fact, and so will everyone else.  I'm afraid that is a recipe for failure.  Even if you graduate first in your class, with a perfect 4.00, it still isn't quite up to your standard of achievement.  It would be analogous to winning a foot race against toddlers.
Yes, young man, there really IS such a thing as being overqualified -- and YOU ARE IT.
Overqualified people lose interest, lack motivation, and generally do not fare well.
Grades and test scores are just a small part of the equation here.  Your long list of accomplishments tells a story about you that is deeper than the lines on the page.
Sure, NPS is a challenge, but so is finding a parking space at the mall just before Christmas.  A challenge is not what you are about.  Things that seem tough for others comes easily to you ... but only because you make it happen.  You haven't skated by on your looks thus far, and there is no reason to start coasting now.

Get your butt into college, right now.  The paradox in your opening statement is that you are mature enough to recognize that you are not "mature enough for college".  Guess what... You will be one of the most mature freshmen in your class.  The difference between you and the throng of partiers on campus is that they are dumb enough to think that they are "all grown up."  You are miles ahead of them.
You are ready whether you think so or not.

Good luck.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline Bighouz107501

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #4 on: Apr 22, 2006, 11:05 »
Although I am only a senior in High School myself I must agree with HC and Beercourt...Your gpa would be in the top 15% of my class of over 250 at a highly educational school. The thing that makes you more mature than most kids at my school, is all your after school activities... You seem to have a resume of a friend of mine that is going to Yale. You have a resume above and beyond your average person, heck mines not near that with all the awards and achievements and stuff like that but I was still accepted into some top schools...Just dont sell yourself short, for myself I need this program to make me a better person. My habits would not make it in college and my family is not financially secure either. Major props on the tennis, thats where all my awards are(all conf, all regional).

also what does this mean

Enlisted Job: Nuclear Engineer (Advanced Rating)

I'm quite confused about this. Well goodluck and maybe see you in Charleston.

omieschmomie

« Reply #5 on: Apr 24, 2006, 12:48 »
Let me offer some fatherly advice...
Wake UP and get your head out of your a$$!!!!!!
A High school resume like yours does NOT read like an elinsted man in the making.
It is "intuitively obvious to the casual observer" that you are a doer.  Enlisted NPS is not an option for you.  You would be wasting your time.  You would be painfully aware of that fact, and so will everyone else.  I'm afraid that is a recipe for failure.  Even if you graduate first in your class, with a perfect 4.00, it still isn't quite up to your standard of achievement.  It would be analogous to winning a foot race against toddlers.
Yes, young man, there really IS such a thing as being overqualified -- and YOU ARE IT.
Overqualified people lose interest, lack motivation, and generally do not fare well.
Grades and test scores are just a small part of the equation here.  Your long list of accomplishments tells a story about you that is deeper than the lines on the page.
Sure, NPS is a challenge, but so is finding a parking space at the mall just before Christmas.  A challenge is not what you are about.  Things that seem tough for others comes easily to you ... but only because you make it happen.  You haven't skated by on your looks thus far, and there is no reason to start coasting now.

Get your butt into college, right now.  The paradox in your opening statement is that you are mature enough to recognize that you are not "mature enough for college".  Guess what... You will be one of the most mature freshmen in your class.  The difference between you and the throng of partiers on campus is that they are dumb enough to think that they are "all grown up."  You are miles ahead of them.
You are ready whether you think so or not.

Good luck.

Thanks so much to everyone for your honest advice honeycomb, beercourt, taterhead, rolltide and bighouz. I wanted to apply for USNA straight out of high school, but I was so worried about my crappy math SAT score that I was just discouraged. I think of it now as a huge mistake because, in the end, the worst they could do would would be to reject me.

BeerCourt, the way your presented your argument was flawless, and I'm actually feeling regret for what route I took. But I need that shot at USNA. I realize that both NROTC and USNA lead to becoming an officer. You were right on the head when you said I'm a doer: my persona revolves around the idea that everything needs to get done, at any cost. Not every scenario can be completed as such however, but I'll still try my heart out. I'm set on the Naval Academy, and the advice you've given me is nothing short of what I'd imagine my uncle to tell me (like a father to me).  I respect you very much for not sugercoating what was needed to be told.

However, like a stubborn son, I still want to aim for the Academy, enlisted or not. I realize, coming from someone much more experienced than me, that you are almost undoubtedly correct in what you are saying. But I can't settle for anything short of my dream. Sure, in a picture perfect world, the Nuke Program would be hard and fun. You'd graduate, go to the Academy and continue being a Nuke as an officer. This is not so, but so long as the opportunity exists, I will chase it until it doesn't exist anymore.

With that much said, BeerCourt, could you provide me with some fatherly advice as it applies to my situation? I know I have a terrible math SAT and it's killing me inside because I can do math. I'm a good math student, double accelerated into Calc skipping Pre-Cal. Maybe that was my downfall..?

BeerCourt, what should I do when I go enlisted? What should be my objectives right off the bat? What should I work on to be more competitive while in the NAVY? What can I expect at Nuke School?

I greatly appriciate everything you've done so far for me. Thanks.

And as for honeycomb, yeah I'm in DEP. I haven't gone into bootcamp yet so I have neither rank nor job. My DEP job is Nuke, so when I ship to bootcamp I'll rate as a Nuke. Sorry if I confused anyone.

Thank you all for being so responsive and friendly. It's hard finding good advice sometimes. I know turning down NROTC was a big mistake, but I want this in life. I don't ask for a lot in my life..but I'm asking for this. Atleast a shot. I'll try my hardest to make it from there. I swear on it.

JsonD13

« Reply #6 on: Apr 24, 2006, 09:05 »
Just a shot from an enlisted man who doesnt know much about the academy, but I'd bet you could apply to there while you are in DEP....

omieschmomie

« Reply #7 on: Apr 24, 2006, 10:26 »
Just a shot from an enlisted man who doesnt know much about the academy, but I'd bet you could apply to there while you are in DEP....

My DEP status is over in 3 months. I made a big mistake not applying earlier, but that was my fault and I have to live with it now. *slaps self*
thanks for the reply json. :)

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #8 on: Apr 25, 2006, 01:28 »
First of all, don't regret anything.  So you made a choice that you might not make if you could do it over again.
So what?  Life is full of that.  You are too young (regardless of your maturity) to regret.

The best advice I can give you is to NEVER EVER EVER get discouraged.  There are boundless opportunities for a guy like you.  They didn't go away just because you enlisted.

The best thing you can do under any circumstances - whether you are considering USNA, advancement, life after the Navy .. etc. - is to give your best effort.  Follow orders enthusiastically.  Never let a silent moment pass if there is a question you could be asking.

I really doubt that your SAT is fatal.  Didn't I see a bunch of AP courses on your list?  If the SAT is a deal breaker, then maybe you should retake it.  It has been a lot of years for me, so I'm not up on the rules for that anymore.

As an enlisted man, your performance while in the Navy will bear a lot of weight when your application to the Academy is considered.  As a high school senior, you were certainly a strong candidate.  As a Petty Officer, you will have to live up to a different set of standards.  Grades will still be important, but having high evaluation scores will matter too.  Keep your uniforms immaculate.  Save your money.  Don't buy a car until you absolutely need one.  While in school, it is more important that you give your best effort than score the highest grade.  A 3.8 student who doesn't log any study hours is actually a 4.0 student with a bad attitude to these people.

The Navy looks for more than academic or technical ability among officer candidates.  They are looking for leaders.  This doesn't mean that you have to brown-nose to get appointed to leadership positions.  It doesn't work that way.  If you are not RPOC in boot camp, or class leader in school, that's okay.  You can still be a leader among your peers.  Lead by example.  Work hard, have a positive outlook and attitude.  Exude confidence, but not arrogance.  Asking a question when you don't know the answer is what confident people do.  Keeping your mouth shut to hide your ignorance - or pretending you know more than you do - is the wimp's way out.

Every command has a career counsellor.  Make yours earn his money.  You are going to need the cooperation and assistance of a lot of people to get where you want to go.  Be the kind of person who people want to help.  When they see promise in you, they'll break their backs to help you as long as you deserve it.  Funny thing about these people ... they don't mind helping you get to a position that they can't have themselves.  A senior enlisted man will help a lowly PO3 to become an officer if the kid shows that he would be a good one.  There is a feeling of participation that comes with helping people get ahead.  In a way, they can share your success by helping you.  Don't make them feel like they are wasting their time.

Forget about being competitive.  You will be told when to be competitive.  The race you are running is with yourself.  Just give everything your best effort.  You'll do well.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

omieschmomie

« Reply #9 on: Apr 25, 2006, 12:08 »
Thanks so much for your adivce Beer Court. I will keep it in mind as I follow my route in the Navy. I'm done for now with this thread since my answers have been answered to the extent I wanted them. Thanks again to everyone for being extra helpful and courteous. Thank you Beer Court for being a very openminded and great guy. :)

Fla Jackal

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2006, 04:14 »
what omieschmomie wants to do is what i wanna do as well but i didn't have the option for the academy or at least i dont think i do. my gpa is only a 3.0 but i did score an 1140 on the sat and i have only taken it once but im also in the bottom half of my senior class. im not what you would call an overachiever but thats only because i have been bored with high school since freshman year, i think i just need a challenge. but is there still a shot for me to go to the academy if im near the top of my class in A school?

taterhead

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2006, 09:34 »
Does anyone join the nuclear pipeline anymore who doesn't want to be an officer? ???

Geez, it's the subject of seemingly every post these days! :o

Holland32Inst

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2006, 08:26 »
Always wanted to join the Navy..In fact, one of my main reasons for declining the NROTC scholarship was because I felt I had to "prove myself" to the Navy before I could just use other people's money.

A). Looks like you've already "proved yourself", reviewing the things you've accomplished.
+
B.) You'll earn every penny the Navy gives you in money and training.
=
C). Whatever you decide, go guilt free.

I can see you contributing to a "think tank" or some other organized body for the good of mankind down the road. Officer's training is a great way to start. 

Offline Bighouz107501

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2006, 09:47 »
Taterhead....to reply to your previous post, the answer is yes. I have no plans to join as an officer, I could have went NROTC but I did not want to go to college then have to pay back all that time. I still wanted to be young when I got out, but at the same time I want to use what I earn in the Navy as a step-board to the civilian nuclear pipeline.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?