NukeWorker Menu PROS

Author Topic: PROS  (Read 7621 times)

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
PROS
« on: Apr 04, 2006, 07:31 »
When I was at Turkey Point, I never heard of the Professional Reactor Operator Society (PROS); at my current site it is considered the greatest thing since sliced bread. Any members out there with an opinion?
Speak up, or I will remain a straight Arrow (Amateur Reactor Operator)!
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Marco

Re: PROS
« Reply #1 on: Apr 05, 2006, 06:41 »
Roll Tide,
PROS is a great opportunity for Licensed Reactor Operators to discuss and communicate problems, share information or just to learn from each other. PROS was founded in the early 1980's as consequence of the TMI-2 accident.
Membership is growing, and as you see, there is also membership in Europe.
I can recommend all interested ROs to check the website ...... www.nucpros.com ....... or ask other members from your  plant about PROS and its benefits.

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #2 on: Apr 05, 2006, 07:18 »
Thanks Marco;

As a previously (and future) licensed operator, I meet the membership requirements. I would just like some input from you and others on the board here as to the value of membership.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Industry_event

« Reply #3 on: Apr 05, 2006, 07:30 »
Good to see your back Roll Tide! You have been missed.
Rome

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #4 on: Apr 05, 2006, 07:37 »
Glad to be back.

Now get back on the topic. I haven't edited you in months, Rome!

Marco

« Reply #5 on: Apr 06, 2006, 02:58 »
As I mentioned, PROS is the best place for Operators for discussing problems and sharing good or bad experiences. Worker fatigue for example is a current topic, with articles and reports in the quaterly published member magazine. Requal Exam Process Rumblings and Licensed Operator Training were recent topics, as well as the turbine replacement at Diablo Canyon.
I also contributed two articles for the "Communicator" (the member magazine) in the last two years. I gave an oversight over the German Nuclear Power Plant Fleet, the status of training, plants and operations.
The annual due is $35, by the way.

Fermi2

« Reply #6 on: Apr 06, 2006, 06:35 »
I never heard of it until I went to a Region 2 plant. It seems very popular in this region. I read the magazine and it seems pretty good (except the guy who doesn't understand Improved Tech Specs, he was clear out to lunch). I learned some good stuff from the magazine.

I don't think it's the best place to exchange info as I have no real weay of evaluating who is posting it, I've seen some guys who come across as authoritive and when I meet them they're about as derelictual as they come. (Not necessarily PROs members). I firmly believe the best informatioon comes from INPO, WANO and peer visits.

The PROs rep for our plant is a pretty good guy and from what I can tell a pretty good SRO.

Mike

Marco

« Reply #7 on: Apr 07, 2006, 05:23 »
I never heard of it until I went to a Region 2 plant. It seems very popular in this region. I read the magazine and it seems pretty good (except the guy who doesn't understand Improved Tech Specs, he was clear out to lunch). I learned some good stuff from the magazine.

I don't think it's the best place to exchange info as I have no real weay of evaluating who is posting it, I've seen some guys who come across as authoritive and when I meet them they're about as derelictual as they come. (Not necessarily PROs members). I firmly believe the best informatioon comes from INPO, WANO and peer visits.

The PROs rep for our plant is a pretty good guy and from what I can tell a pretty good SRO.

Mike

Hey Broadzilla,
I do agree, INPO and WANO are good institutions. We've  had a WANO-Peer Review four years ago, and a follow up two years ago. In October we're facing an OSART-Review. Those reviews have an official character, and certainly you receive useful information or hints. So far so good. In an organisation like PROS you can discuss topics like comparison of salaries or many other issues (partly personally matters), that you would not share with WANO-Inspectors. Furthermore PROS Officials meet the NRC to provide Operator viewpoints and input on related topics, as well as it gives a voice to member's professional ideas.
You mentioned that you learned some good stuff from the magazine, so this should be a further motivation for us to keep up the good work.

Greetings from Germany,

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?