Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Where to start?

Author Topic: Where to start?  (Read 20935 times)

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
Re: Where to start?
« Reply #25 on: Aug 23, 2006, 09:46 »
How about former Navy guys who were conventional operators, I have met quite a few MM (some not even not former nuc rocks) and BT who were sharp operators.  Ever run into any?

Rob

One of the sharpest guys I worked with was previously an operator at a trash to energy plant!

But to get back on target, there are many jobs that have some similarity to the Navy experience. That experience will serve you well.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

AlmostCivilian

« Reply #26 on: Aug 24, 2006, 03:30 »
As harsh as Mike makes it sound,he is actually a nice guy, when TN has a good football team (which is why he has been grumpy for so long) anyway if you just qualified and then got out then you did not stand the watch and thus really have no experience standing it.  It is going to show to those who know as you got a kiss goodbye from your boat, kind of like they give everyone a early promote on thier transfer eval evne thought they got a promotable on thier last regular eval!! Not that you did not work hard to get the qual and you most likely know your stuff to get it, but I am not sure how much a "paper" qual will carry.  Do you have a degree? What else have you done?

Good Luck
Rob

No hard feelings taken.  I was fortunate in that I qualified in April and the Chiefs were 3 section, so I did stand both EWS and EDPO.  I learned alot more than I thought there was to everything.  Don't know if this will help in the civilian world or not...  What can I study to get ready for this POSS test everyone is talking about?
And WOW, we got off on a tangent on this post...
Brent

Fermi2

« Reply #27 on: Aug 24, 2006, 10:28 »
Get an ASVAB Study Guide, the kind that gives you ten practice tests.

Take the first test

Then take 5 minutes off the time it took you to take that test and take the second test.

Keep shaving time until you feel you can work as quickly and accurately as possible. I've coached 4 guys to ASVAB success using this method, two of whom had failed it multiple times.

Mike

Fermi2

A Correction
« Reply #28 on: Aug 24, 2006, 10:36 »
Ya know, I really made an error in a previous post. Given the choice between just some guy off the street and a Navy Nuke I'd be an idiot not to choose the Navy Nuke.

Given the choice between a Navy Nuke and a person who isn't a Navy nuke but has worked in a commercial facility (deconner, RP, Maintenance, Chem Tec, Fire Protection) I'd say the later has an advantage and ends up paying for him or herself sooner. Mostly this is because what they lack in technical knowledge they more than make up for in their knowledge in how things are done at a commercial plant. Due to the nature of Navy training, much of it is "in rate" the Navy guys usually have a more limited scope and breadth of knowledge, though within their specialities they have a lot of depth. The depth they have in that one area on the bigger scale is small compared with the breadth they have to learn in the commercial world. There is no "in rate" as a commercial operator, it's all in rate.

Keep in mind this only applies in Operations. I can't speak for RP or Maintenance. I was at one time a Maintenance Supervisor at my old station. One thing I did find is dirt burners tended to be better in the maintenance departments than Navy Guys, mostly because in a dirt burner maintenance does a LOT more than the average navy nuke was exposed to. Once the Navy guy gets up and running and becomes a journeyman I doubt there is all that much difference.

I and C. Definitely Ex Navy Nuke. With one notable exception, one of the best I and C guys I ever had work for me was a Non Navy guy who worked as a contractor. At Perry they wanted to make him some sort of I and C Supervisor but he likes playing volleyball full time in the fall so he went the contract route. Most likely the FIRS Team guys at Fermi remember him, his name was Richard an he was African American/Philipino/American Indian and had the wickedest set of tats I've ever seen. Great guy, super I and C tech, Smart as all hell and fun to be around. I can tell you this, whenever he decided to go on the road he'd have a job within a day. As a whole Fermi was blessed with a huge percentage of very good I and C Techs, one thing I've found in the commercial world, there are a LOT of superior instrument people.

I had nothing but Non Navy Wire Biters working for me and I found them to be outstanding and a great bunch of guys. Hard Workers and you didn't have to supervise them a whole lot. ALTHOUGH they were a disrespectful lot.

The thing I think everyone should take away from this, when you get that interview your pedigree DOESN"T matter one bit. You have to sell yourself in that interview. Your resume only opens a door long enough for you to be a guest, if you want to reside in the house you'd best convince the interviewers you'd be a good resident.

Mike
« Last Edit: Aug 24, 2006, 11:38 by Broadzilla »

maxparity

« Reply #29 on: Aug 24, 2006, 11:06 »
Yes indeed, dividends will be paid sooner or ladder.

Offline ChiefRocscooter

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #30 on: Aug 24, 2006, 01:10 »
Excellent post Mike!  I can clearly see what you mean abuot being rounded vs focused when comparing Navy guys to civ exp workers.  Does bring me a question (even kind of along line of thread) does it make a diff if the Navy guys were career guys or 6/8 and out types.
(My 1st instinct was to think 20 yr guys would be better, but on reflection I can imagine some will suffer form "authority withdrawl" having forgotten what it took them to get senior enough to stay 20.)

Funny about the wire-biters but even in the Navy they are the group (both Nuc and non-nuc) that was the biggest bunch of wise asses on every ship I have been to (n the Engineering world at least) and I have been on over 20 different ships for various inspections.

Rob
Being adept at being adaptable I look forward to every new challenge!

Fermi2

« Reply #31 on: Aug 24, 2006, 01:35 »
Nah, I don't really see that much difference, on the other hand I can't really say I've seen enough of the 20 and out population to make a valid comparison. I have worked with 3 retirees, 2 did well, one didn't but that was more due to attitude than technical skill.

I now work with a Mustang who ended up as a commander and he's very well thought of by the maintenance folk. I like the guy.

I think a lot of the retiree not want to buckle to another authority gets weeded out at the interview and never makes it to the plant.

Mike

Offline ChiefRocscooter

• Heavy User
« Reply #32 on: Aug 24, 2006, 04:32 »
OK lets get this thread fresh and on topic. 

What kinds of thing have you heard during interview that have been positive points, things applicants have said that helped themselfs.  I guess I am trying to get sneak peek at interview process.

What should not be said (besides the no brainer like "Drugs? why no, not yet today, you got any)  Again I want to know what might look/sound bad in an interview for a nuc operation job.

Rob 
« Last Edit: Aug 24, 2006, 09:22 by ChiefRocscooter »

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #33 on: Aug 25, 2006, 01:39 »
just go on and on about how much you want a lic.  if you are ex-navy then make sure you can convince them why you really want to work at this particular nuc plant.  alot of ex-navy nukes know they can easily get a job at a nuke plant, so if they can't get the one they really want, they settle for another one until the one they want comes up.  therefore the first nucplant is out time, money, effort, and another potential lic.  sell yourself on wanting to live in that area.  you may want to find out if the particular plant requires operators to be fire brigade or some other hat, and if you are also better qualified than the next guy.  many navy nukes had fire brigade type stuff for damage control aboard vessel, so your in for that hat.  operators work in hot/cold environs usually.  let them know if you been there done that and it doesn't bother you.  let them know you are physically fit to do the job. don't smoke before your interview or during breaks.  wear a lighter colored suit.

1. qualified to do the job (ex-navy nuke, college, etc.)
2. want to do the job and then get a lic.
3. want to stay in the area for whatever reason besides a paycheck
4. willing to do a little extra to save company money, like fire brigade

have concrete reasons WHY you can do all the above, examples from past work exp that spotlight your ability to do the above, and some special things that show you can just work well with others, but don't bring that up, make it part of an example (diversity).

I actually got to know the HR lady that was doing the hiring on he phone and built a rapport with her and asked her what she thought.  she told me the personalities of a couple of the interviewers (there were 4) and so I had a small advantage there.  try that.

Offline ChiefRocscooter

• Heavy User
« Reply #34 on: Aug 25, 2006, 08:55 »
Bravo, this is exactly the type of advice I was looking for.  Anything I you know ahead of time is going to help!  Good stratgey with the HR rep, the more info one has the more prepared for the battle you will be!!

Rob

scrub

« Reply #35 on: Aug 25, 2006, 09:20 »
What can I study to get ready for this POSS test everyone is talking about?
And WOW, we got off on a tangent on this post...
Brent

EEI POSS practice tests.  Most of the company web sites have a link to the practice exams.  Follow the directions and time alloted for practice.  The math is more extensive than the practice.  The practice only encompasses the conversions.  The real exam will also have basic algebra and some basic word problems.  Be prepared for more math.

Offline ChiefRocscooter

• Heavy User
« Reply #36 on: Aug 29, 2006, 10:13 »
You would think with all the bad things we hear about this test someone would sell a study guide or a specific perp course.

Rob

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #37 on: Aug 30, 2006, 12:15 »
You would think with all the bad things we hear about this test someone would sell a study guide or a specific perp course.

Rob

Like this? http://www.amazon.com/Mechanical-Aptitude-/dp/0768916992/sr=8-4/qid=1156954379/ref=sr_1_4/103-3833193-4627036?ie=UTF8  I used the Amazon.com link on the home page and did a search for spatial relations. 
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

Offline ChiefRocscooter

• Heavy User
« Reply #38 on: Aug 30, 2006, 01:04 »
Actually I saw the book at Barnes and Noble but I meant an actual book like the Gre books or asvab ones . I plan on using the one you listed along with the asvab books to prep.  Thanks for the thought, but I was more waxing rethotrical than saying I could not find one.

Thanks
Rob

Fermi2

« Reply #39 on: Aug 30, 2006, 01:14 »
Don't bother, the ASVAB is all you'll need. I wouldn't waste my money on anything else.

The reason there's no study guide is the test isn't publicly available. The utilities keep it under lock and key, and in the time you're given to take it it's virtually impossible to memorize.

Mike

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?