Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Questions for those who know... honeypot

Author Topic: Questions for those who know...  (Read 3567 times)

nomuggle

Questions for those who know...
« on: Apr 21, 2006, 10:08 »
I think I'm looking more for guidance than anything, and after reading through many of these messages, I figured you guys are the ones to go to...

My husband has hit his 16 year point and is fed up with his ship and everything on it.  He's seriously considering getting out in July and going into the Reserves to finish up, and although there's a part of me that would like him to gut it (ad) out, I understand his level of frustration and support him.

That being said, what's a good way to put out some feelers in the civilian workforce?  He's an MMC with Radcon, QA, a couple of journeyman's licenses, and plenty of other things I'm sure I don't know.  Is it better to get in touch with a headhunter or two and let them match himup, or should we be exploring on our own?  I ask this because the little bit of poking of done online and I'm overwhelmed with information, you know?

As to why I'm posting--and not him--, it's because I want to help him figure out his options before he makes a firm decision.  I know all of you know how easy it is to make a choice based on emotion and exhaustion, especially after you've been used and abused by the wonderful Navy.  If I can at least help lift some of this weight off of his shoulders, then I need to do it.

Thanks for your time and input!

Angie

Fermi2

Re: Questions for those who know...
« Reply #1 on: Apr 21, 2006, 02:28 »
There's no harm registering with a headhunter while at the same time searching on your own. One thing to keep in mind though. If you get an interview at Plant A for Job A, and thde Headhunter is trying to get you an interview for Job B at the same plant. Then you decide you don't want job A and he finds out you interviewed or contacted Plant A on your own he'll stop looking anywhere in that utility for you, and you wson't get the Job B interview. They do that because the Utility can claim since  already showed interest in them by interviewing so they don't owe him his fee.

Try Monster.com, CareerBuilder.com. Don't put Navy Specific stuff in the resume, try to make it more skill oriented and what he's capable of learning. Believe it or not the biggest gold nugget in his resume is those Journeymans licenses. Jouneyman is a language all utilities speak.

Register a resume on the various company websites because most will only take your application via that route anyway.

He might want to watch using the Reserves as a backup plan, I know a guy who was gonna get out at 15, and they wouldn't take him into the reserves.

Mike
« Last Edit: Apr 21, 2006, 03:22 by Broadzilla »

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #2 on: Apr 21, 2006, 03:00 »

He might want to watch using the Reseves as a backup plan, I know a guy who was gonna get out at 15, and they wouldn't take him into the reserves.

He might also find himself deployed. Of course, if he is happy with deployment then he can just schedule a good time for it....
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Beta_effect

« Reply #3 on: Apr 23, 2006, 11:53 »
A nice way to finish out his 20 might be prototype duty. Advantages are that it is almost like having a civilian job and allows you to break into the civ mode gradually (overlooking rotating shift work, mandatory plus fours, etc., but it does not go to sea and it sure is not fast and black and never comes back-just sort of sits there...a lot like a cotton mill, but hey you can't have everything.).

It also allows you the opportunity to finish up or start college or whatever else you may need to get whatever job you might want to go for. Don't overlook jobs with States-there is a shortage of peeps with a radiological background to help staff NRC Agreement programs. The NRC is building up staff and has a pretty good intern program. EPA and FEMA are also staffing up to a degree...the Homeland Security arena is almost a boondoggle for those with the right background. And of course there are the plants that will soon be facing the loss of seasoned staff due to baby boomers hanging it up over the next few years. All and all not bad prospects for those getting out.

20 Years Gone

« Reply #4 on: Apr 24, 2006, 12:15 »
   I've got to tell you... I considered heavily getting out at my almost 17 year point.  I had a business that I was working on the side, and things seemed to be going pretty well.  I was facing going straight back to the Enterprise, and she was in the middle of work-ups for deployment.  So, here I am, 5 years later, retired for almost two years, and whenever I think that I might I have gotten out, I feel like singing songs of praise that I didn't.  That was probably the worst 3 years I spent in the navy.  An extended deployment, the worst shipyard drydock period I've ever been through.... I am so glad it's over, and so glad I stayed.  The reason?  Well, it's mostly money.
   The retirement check picks up the house payment and the pickup payment.  (I retired E-7)  My standard of living would not be nearly what it is today without it.  The insurance is key.  We use tricare standard, and it picks up all my company insurance copays.  A lot of folks around here are putting off retirement because they can't handle the insurance costs.  I'll never have to worry about that, because when I re-retire, I'll just shift to tricare prime.  That medical insurance is almost as important as the retirement check.
   I know the decision is a very personal one.... I just wanted to tell you how I feel after almost getting out, and then staying in.

Good Luck, 

Bill

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?