Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu What is school like for fleet personal??? honeypot

Author Topic: What is school like for fleet personal???  (Read 5262 times)

atangammon

What is school like for fleet personal???
« on: Apr 29, 2006, 05:37 »
i know in avation we tend to be given more freedom or advanced in phases, but im not sure how the black shoe side of the hose runs their schools. also what are you presonal thoughts on people cross rating to nuke; is it harder, easier or roughly the same? how long on avg do people study a week; hours a night, mostly on the weekend or what

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
Re: What is school like for fleet personal???
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 08:49 »
My experience with the fleet returnees was they had to put in more study time the first half of the program because they had been out of college / high school classes longer.

I went over 20 years ago  ???
But it was 20-40 hours extra a week. Your section advisor may direct you to a certain number of hours each evening, but for most fleet returnees you set your own hours.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

JsonD13

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 06:50 »
From my personal experience, I have only heard of one person "crossrating" into nuke.  He was a prior nuke that got dropped from the program, did well as a conventional out in the fleet and got accepted to try again.  I have never heard of any "air" rate being crossrated for nuke.  But yes, we do get liberties in phases, usually after A school you have the most liberties, with the exception of living out in town.  That happens in prototype.  But keep us posted if you are trying to crossrate, I'm sure alot of people would like to hear how you did it, if you can get it done.

Fermi2

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006, 06:47 »
I knew three. Two were ex aviation types, the last was a Personnelman. They all did great in prototype.

The Personnelman was extremely helpfull when I was in ELT School because he taught everyone in the class how to fill out the paperwork to get your reenlistment bonus should you get out on a hardship or medical discharge.

Mike

Wirebiter

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 11:15 »
I had one surface tugboat 3rd class electrician in my "A" school class.  He was class leader and had very little trouble with the basic electrical stuff.  Math, on the other hand...... He lasted about 8-9 weeks.  His fleet experiance made for good sea-stories for the rest of us, but his problem came in handling the rate at which the information was fed to us.  Its no walk in the park.  He easily spent 40+ hours after normal class hours trying to make the grade. 
He also had a hard time with the hoarse blinders that were placed on us.  He knew what the "ouside" Navy was like, and that made putting up with the Nuclear pipeline bubble life that much harder.

If you approach the school from the angle of a brand new sailor/student in the Navy, you should do fine.  You may find it a little ackword being class leader and directing field day of your classroom, then asking those same guys to help explain your homework assignment in physics.

Good luck if you decide to take the leap.
 ;)

Elrond116

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2006, 11:46 »
Quote from: atangammon
how long on avg do people study a week; hours a night, mostly on the weekend or what
i can help with this part...

most enlisted students in power school right now pull roughly 20 study hours a week, on top of class.  nearly everyone is given mandatory hours (unless they hold an exceptionally high GPA), with the norm being 15-20 hours, and a maximum of 30.  it is actually possible to be assigned more hours than this, but very unlikely (no one in my class, which has about 300 students).  there are a few cross-rate students going through the pipeline with me now, and in my experience, they are usually given leadership positions within the different sections, but are not assigned any more lenient hours than anyone else - it's based primarily on GPA right now (although the section advisors will claim they take other factors into account when assigning hours as well, this almost never actually happens).  none of our cross-rates are doing noticably better or worse than everyone else, academically.

most students do the majority of their hours during the week (3 or 4 a night) to free up the weekends - not many students put in more than a couple of hours between friday afternoon and sunday afternoon, if any.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2006, 11:46 by Elrond116 »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?