Career Path > Navy:Getting Out

Which is better?

<< < (4/4)

Roll Tide:
I have to agree with RHW that I have seen people unsuccessful in this format. Of course, I have seen engineers get their heads handed to them as well.

Still, if a former enlisted Navy Nuke gets a creditable (not credible, I know the difference) degree and then gets into an Instant SRO program he should be in good shape. He will have to work harder than the NLO getting an upgrade, but he will have the tools to be successful.

If I may let my biases show for a moment, I would prefer to work for that person over a former Navy Officer, especially if he was not a Sub Nuke!

Bfjohnson:
Looking back at my first tour on the USS Nimitz, I can definately agree that the best watch officers were those that we "trained in", as well as one that was an LDO and former Chief. Our best "shutdown" watch officers were Enlisted as well. I had the good fortune of having a young lieutenant as a watch officer that I got along with very well. I had been operating the plant for just over four years when he came on board as my new watch officer. He and I had an understanding, and this is what I told him.

"My job is to tell you everything I am going to do to the panel before I do it. Your job is to say 'very well' to everything I tell you I am going to do. If we do it this way, we will be the best watch section in the department."

Wouldn't you know, we had the highest scores on our ORSE of any watch section in Reactor Department. Even commissioned officers can be serviceable if taught properly!  ;)

I like the idea of hooking up with an NLO position, and working my way up. That is how I've done it in the Navy, and I look forward to the opportunity to prove myself once again. I appreciate the advice in regards to Union vs. Non-Union. I would hate to come into a position, ready and motivated to be the very best at what I do, only to be held back from moving up the ladder, due to seniority issues. Especially with the kind of time frame that has been mentioned. (7 to 15 years) I expect a lot from myself, and would want to be in a position to be rewarded for my efforts.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version